Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

If Haiti has to withdraw, I don't mind the 3-0 win. It would give us another +2 on goal difference on the US, since they defeated Haiti 1-0.

If the match goes ahead and the players who missed the game against the US are still ineligible for this one, they'd be without Pierrot and Nazon. Haiti had 6 substitutes on the bench against the US. It looks like there have been 4 cases since then (Nazon, Louima, Alceus, Herivaux), so their number of subs could be down to 2. More cases could even appear by tomorrow.

26 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

If that many players have covid then clearly the rest of the team has been exposed.  I won't be surprised if they have to withdraw

I'd like to know how much time they spent in the tunnel in close proximity with the US players..... any chance of some US players test positive?

3 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

In the first half I honestly thought that Grenada was going to take the match. Honduras grew into the game in the second half. I'm not going to jinx the September match, but 2021 Honduras does not look as dangerous as their teams of old.

Do we know how many of their "A team" were on that starting 11?. They left some pretty good subs on the bench to start the game. 

14 minutes ago, jtpc said:

If Haiti has to withdraw, I don't mind the 3-0 win. It would give us another +2 on goal difference on the US, since they defeated Haiti 1-0.

If the match goes ahead and the players who missed the game against the US are still ineligible for this one, they'd be without Pierrot and Nazon. Haiti had 6 substitutes on the bench against the US. It looks like there have been 4 cases since then (Nazon, Louima, Alceus, Herivaux), so their number of subs could be down to 2. More cases could even appear by tomorrow.

They also added a couple replacements after the first positive tests. 

Can't believe the odds for Canada to win vs Haiti are still giving a backer almost a 50% ROI for Canada to win.

I Imagine Canada will become significant favorites by day's end or early tomorrow. 

Professional performance for our lads tmwr to ensure 3 points.

Unfortunate for Haiti but as long as we get the job done, this sets us up for an awesome showdown with the US to win the group. 

8 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Do we know how many of their "A team" were on that starting 11?. They left some pretty good subs on the bench to start the game. 

I suppose Elis and Quioto did not start and usually would. 6 of their starting 11 have most recently played in the Honduras domestic league (including a couple with Olimpia, the club who faced Forge in the CONCACAF League two years back).

It was mainly a roster of veterans including a 38 year old Maynor Figueroa, a 37 year old Boniek Garcia and a 34 year old Jerry Bengtson (all of whom started in that fateful day in San Pedro Sula 9 years ago). 

Their largest omissions outside of the squad seem to be Anthony Lozano who is playing in La Liga, experience fullback and former bhoy Emilio Izaguire, young midfielder Rigoberto Rivas, and Andy Najar who has fallen from grace since his injury at Anderlecht a few years back.

56 minutes ago, Shway said:

I would prefer Haiti not withdrawing and just allow them to call in replacements if possible.

Too many farces going with this edition. 

If Haiti have the same number of positive results as Curacao, wouldn't you have to withdraw them for the sake of consistency?

Our whole team is likely vaccinated, so in theory the risk of playing Haiti with positive cases should be low, right? 

The caveat to that is whether they are symptomatic or not. Transmission (and thus risk) is theoretically higher for symptomatic carriers of Sars Cov 2 than asymptomatic carriers.

Perhaps treating the asymptomatic cases as negatives will be the solution in the future. I can't see competitions continuing like this because it is way too unstable. If tarnishing the integrity of competition in the name of safety becomes the norm, I think people will lose interest as time goes on.

Edited by Obinna

11 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Anyone know if we still get FIFA ranking points if they forfeit?

Good question. I don't see why we wouldn't, because a win is a win. Have never heard of forfeits being counted differently. 

29 minutes ago, Obinna said:

If Haiti have the same number of positive results as Curacao, wouldn't you have to withdraw them for the sake of consistency?

The tournament has already started is the difference…games have been already played. Meaning it’s not possible for them to be replaced.

Knowing that and the circumstances it’s best to just call in the replacements. A forfeit wouldn’t bode well for our team other than rest. 

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

The tournament has already started is the difference…games have been already played. Meaning it’s not possible for them to be replaced.

Knowing that and the circumstances it’s best to just call in the replacements. A forfeit wouldn’t bode well for our team other than rest. 

They may decide to withdraw them without replacing them, but I agree that replacing them after the tournament starts is not possible, or at least not likely.

Maybe Haiti has more of an ability than Curacao to call in replacements. 

15 minutes ago, Shway said:

Lol, like that kind of rational thought process will fly in CONCACAF… and the correct answer is, obviously, that Haiti will be replaced by Curaçao, who will inherit Haiti’s current record… If Curaçao go on to win the tournament, it will, of course, be a shared title with Haiti. Easy peasy … CONCACAF always looks for the most straightforward solution!

Edited by Addona

11 minutes ago, Addona said:

Lol, like that kind of rational thought process will fly in CONCACAF… and the correct answer is, obviously, that Haiti will be replaced by Curaçao, who will inherit Haiti’s current record… If Curaçao go on to win the tournament, it will, of course, be a shared title with Haiti. Easy peasy … CONCACAF always looks for the most straightforward solution!

I was thinking earlier how will we get CONCACAF’d if Haiti withdrew and I could totally see them pulling some BS and only giving our group one playoff spot and restructuring the knockout format. 

8 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

I was thinking earlier how will we get CONCACAF’d if Haiti withdrew and I could totally see them pulling some BS and only giving our group one playoff spot and restructuring the knockout format. 

Lol, that’s even crazier and therefore MORE likely than my suggestion. You left out the part where there will be a transparent coin flip of a 2-headed coin between us and the US for said single spot, but the US gets to call it in the air because of their higher FIFA ranking…

43 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

Zero chance of that.  They have television contracts with content inventory promised that they are obligated to deliver.  

2 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Zero chance of that.  They have television contracts with content inventory promised that they are obligated to deliver.  

I think that was sarcasm from Atlantic. At least I hope it was.  

46 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

Seems like Nazon will be there after all. That leaves only 4 bench players for Haiti though. 

Nazon posted on his Instagram last night “over” with a crying face. I wonder if the test was a false positive and he was cleared today with additional tests

Smallest crowd for a Mexico game I've seen in a while.  The storm didn't help but I think it has a lot to do with them playing all 3 group games in the same city.  You can only tap the well so many times before it runs dry.  Fans don't have bottomless cash and time for all 3 games.  Obviously the schedule was drawn up with covid restrictions in mind, however it helps explain why the Gold Cup normally resembles a traveling circus going from city to city for "one night only" events to avoid market saturation.