Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

1 minute ago, Shway said:

Vic Rauter or Wheeler...take your pick.

TBH I'm just glad it someone Canadian, and not a British accent to solidify that "they know what they are talking about".

Rauter at least has the nostalgia factor. And is a professional. Even if soccer isn't in his wheelhouse anymore.

Wheeler doesn't even have a proper announcer voice. And that prepared statement he makes at the start of games is lame as fuck.

I get why Wheeler is cringe. I mean, that C connection thing he said on the Cavallini to Corbeanu goal was pretty unbelievable (in a bad way). Maybe if we keep bitching and moaning about it something will change, which will make everyone happy no doubt. Personally though, I don't care too much either way. The dude loves Canadian soccer and is passionate about the team. I guess that's why I don't get hot and bothered over it. 

At least he brings attention to One Soccer. Seems like he's gaining a reputation as that "terrible" commentator. Negative attention is better than no attention, many would argue. 

51 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I get why Wheeler is cringe. I mean, that C connection thing he said on the Cavallini to Corbeanu goal was pretty unbelievable (in a bad way). Maybe if we keep bitching and moaning about it something will change, which will make everyone happy no doubt. Personally though, I don't care too much either way. The dude loves Canadian soccer and is passionate about the team. I guess that's why I don't get hot and bothered over it. 

At least he brings attention to One Soccer. Seems like he's gaining a reputation as that "terrible" commentator. Negative attention is better than no attention, many would argue. 

I am actually fine with C+C Goal Factory. What I dislike is when he goes on for 10 minutes about how to pronounce a name, then changes his pronunciation of the name later. Or when he gets a player's position or a team's formation wrong. It makes the whole thing seem unprofessional.

On the same note, why does One Soccer continuously get starting formations and player positions wrong? I get that unless the manager tells you that it is always somewhat of a guess, but a large number of times they have it completely wrong and it is obvious just from the graphic. Not just Gold Cup, but also CPL matches. Who is actually putting these images together?

I'm worried now because Adam Jenkins ahs been good on commentary but he's starting to do Wheeler-isms and they were pretty bad. I don't need guys with Canadian accents trying to commentate like they're Latino. They can't do it. It doesn't worth with the way we talk LMAO

31 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I am actually fine with C+C Goal Factory. What I dislike is when he goes on for 10 minutes about how to pronounce a name, then changes his pronunciation of the name later. Or when he gets a player's position or a team's formation wrong. It makes the whole thing seem unprofessional.

On the same note, why does One Soccer continuously get starting formations and player positions wrong? I get that unless the manager tells you that it is always somewhat of a guess, but a large number of times they have it completely wrong and it is obvious just from the graphic. Not just Gold Cup, but also CPL matches. Who is actually putting these images together?

That's fair. For what it's worth, when I saw the formation I just assumed they were just out of place. I get that being inaccurate is sloppy though, if not unprofessional. Never considered it to be particularly bothersome, so interesting to hear that.

Good question in regards to who puts those graphics together. Anyone who's been following this team would have known it was likely a 3-5-2, so perhaps some backend staff doing the work and they presumably aren't too invested in the team.

This happens on TSN from time-to-time as well, but being a larger outlet I suspect we see it less due to them just being more professional overall. 

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

That's fair. For what it's worth, when I saw the formation I just assumed they were just out of place. I get that being inaccurate is sloppy though, if not unprofessional. Never considered it to be particularly bothersome, so interesting to hear that.

Good question in regards to who puts those graphics together. Anyone who's been following this team would have known it was likely a 3-5-2, so perhaps some backend staff doing the work and they presumably aren't too invested in the team.

This happens on TSN from time-to-time as well, but being a larger outlet I suspect we see it less due to them just being more professional overall. 

Perhaps I am just being nit picky, but when I see a broadcaster get stuff blatantly wrong it ruins their credibility for me.

To your point, TSN had Buksa's nationality as American the other day. I get it's likely some intern who slaps many of these things together with little to no oversight. And as bad as OneSoccer commentators may be at times, Vic Rauter is infintely worse. On the TFC own goal against DC for example, he earnestly asked if that would go down as an own goal... after it ping ponged off multiple TFC defenders.

On 7/11/2021 at 7:54 PM, jtpc said:

What a fantastic result for Trinidad and Tobago last night, taking points off Mexico. 😀 A moment of national pride for sure. Good for them. That's an unexpected wrinkle to Group A. It will be fun to see how Group A plays out.

On the chant, I don't know if odd or strange are the right words, but I find it odd that even after their own players have pleaded with them not to do it, it's still happening. I'm not sure how else to describe it, but it seems strange to me. For Mexico, 2 home WCQ matches without fans doesn't ultimately impact their chance of qualifying like it would other countries, but still, if one of our players actually had to get on a mic in the middle of the pitch and say please stop doing something (because if we didn't, there would be punishments that could affect our chances of succeeding), I'd like to think it would stop pretty quickly.

It's a classic case of some suits deciding something in particular was a major sacrilege. When every Mexico fan knows its absurd, because it has little to do with any sort of reality about being gay in Mexico. 

Look, I wear my Whitecaps pride shirt all the time because I'm "proud" of how anyone construes or discovers their gender. It's also a very nice cotton t-shirt. I'll wear it next time I go to Hungary. But you can't just wipe out a fundamentally minor tradition fans like, and which is a litmus test of pretty well nothing.

Or you don't actually believe you're less homophobic than they are? That's the problem, there are hypocrites at Concacaf, and here, who do. 

It'll eventually disappear, they'll shout "guapo" and it'll be fundamentally more insulting but untouchable. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

22 minutes ago, narduch said:

Jamaica v Suriname line ups

image.png.3f70b665535ba421b2954c80351e5146.png

image.png

From what I can see Suriname is lining up with a back 5 (inspired by Canada? :) )

Donk is the QB sitting at the heart of the defense, with Klaiber (big addition from Ajax) and Leerdam (decently reliable) to either side of him. Two Eredivisie starters at wingback in Haps and Dankerlui. 

Unlike us, they have a midfield 2, not 3. Biseswar is old and slow, but still good. Malone is just old and slow. The center of midfield seems soft to me, but for concacaf it isn't too bad.

Jozefzoon and Becker on the flanks in midfield, pretty good options.

Still rolling with Hasselbaink up top. Can't see him doing much damage against Hector and Moore.

42 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I'm worried now because Adam Jenkins ahs been good on commentary but he's starting to do Wheeler-isms and they were pretty bad. I don't need guys with Canadian accents trying to commentate like they're Latino. They can't do it. It doesn't worth with the way we talk LMAO

Latino announcers hardly ever pun, it's not habitual in Spanish. Aliterations or set phrases are possible for some sports, like basketball, but imitating NBA showtime. There's probably too much bombast, its overstated, in Spain too. 

The essential part of announcing a sport live is to establish expanded terms for its enjoyment. The Wheeler style talks down to some soccer fans, denigrantes them. We've even seen hockey commentators like that, when we shouldn't have needed them. 

Someone must have really talked shit about soccer in Canada for OneSoccer to say yes to all that. 

29 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

on a positive note, i think i figured out how to watch games on onesoccer without the commentary, only crowd noise. fingers crossed that works on thursday for the canada games too.

I listened to the French language broadcast on One Soccer so I could get the stadium sounds. 

23 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Latino announcers hardly ever pun, it's not habitual in Spanish. Aliterations or set phrases are possible for some sports, like basketball, but imitating NBA showtime. There's probably too much bombast, its overstated, in Spain too. 

The essential part of announcing a sport live is to establish expanded terms for its enjoyment. The Wheeler style talks down to some soccer fans, denigrantes them. We've even seen hockey commentators like that, when we shouldn't have needed them. 

Someone must have really talked shit about soccer in Canada for OneSoccer to say yes to all that. 

My thing is more Jenkins was saying things like NOOOVAAKKKKK and it just sounds horrible. They're trying to emulate when the Univision guys will say like CHICHARITOOOOOO and it does not work with the Canadian accent.

Also his voice breaks when he does this.

41 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's a classic case of some suits deciding something in particular was a major sacrilege. When every Mexico fan knows its absurd, because it has little to do with any sort of reality about being gay in Mexico. 

Look, I wear my Whitecaps pride shirt all the time because I'm "proud" of how anyone construes or discovers their gender. It's also a very nice cotton t-shirt. I'll wear it next time I go to Hungary. But you can't just wipe out a fundamentally minor tradition fans like, and which is a litmus test of pretty well nothing.

Or you don't actually believe you're less homophobic than they are? That's the problem, there are hypocrites at Concacaf, and here, who do. 

It'll eventually disappear, they'll shout "guapo" and it'll be fundamentally more insulting but untouchable. 

Right. Classic "don't be so sensitive", "whatabout those other guys" and "Some of my best shirts are gay-friendly" arguments. 

44 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Perhaps I am just being nit picky, but when I see a broadcaster get stuff blatantly wrong it ruins their credibility for me.

To your point, TSN had Buksa's nationality as American the other day. I get it's likely some intern who slaps many of these things together with little to no oversight. And as bad as OneSoccer commentators may be at times, Vic Rauter is infintely worse. On the TFC own goal against DC for example, he earnestly asked if that would go down as an own goal... after it ping ponged off multiple TFC defenders.

Gold Cup graphics are done by Concacaf. But you can blame them for CPL graphics.

Wheeler is overall okay with me. But he does talk too much about stuff not directly related to action on the pitch. Fine for CPL regular season matches but not for meaningful national team matches. He also has OneSoccer Today & twitter for these tangents. Wheeler also jumps to conclusions about actions on the pitch like a fan rather than let the action play out first. 

Dunfield is a bore in tone and content. And when he does gets excited, he goes more overboard than Wheeler. Jenkins is plain vanilla. His homerism isn't as often as Wheeler but when he does it like during Olympic qualifying or women's matches, it is more cringe worthy than Wheeler.

1 minute ago, red card said:

Wheeler also jumps to conclusions about actions on the pitch like a fan rather than let the action play out first.

he definitely does this, and reacts to events on the pitch as if he's never played a game in his life, which he probably hasn't. i think that's what bugs me the most about him, he's a fan in a position where i'd prefer a professional commentator.

he should be the excited reporter doing interviews & stuff and never making a comment about anything happening on the field ..... ever.

21 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I listened to the French language broadcast on One Soccer so I could get the stadium sounds. 

that's a good call. there's a feature in the settings where you can choose the audio channel, for the games last night it was giving the stadium sound without the commentary. that's what i'm hoping works for the canada games as well.

10 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

he definitely does this, and reacts to events on the pitch as if he's never played a game in his life, which he probably hasn't. i think that's what bugs me the most about him, he's a fan in a position where i'd prefer a professional commentator.

he should be the excited reporter doing interviews & stuff and never making a comment about anything happening on the field ..... ever.

I'm surprised you weren't aware he played for the Western Mustangs. I know he doesn't quite mention it twice a half like he used to, but it still comes up quite often...

I know its a tournament and some rotation is necessary and there are the withdrawals and the cards but I really wish we could get some amount of continuity going. 

Our passing looks like the players just met each other for the opening few minutes in a lot of the games.  It didn't hurt us against some teams but we gave up a goal we shouldn't last night and the last time we faced a really good team we were buried early. 

Not sure how we do it, really something we need, in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

gerry dobson over both of them.

and i agree 100% with your take on the british accent, not necessary.

Gerry “pardon me I mistake Gerba for Ricketts” Dobson 🤣.

Honestly I get the Wheeler hate, it does get annoying at times…for me, I think he’s “trying something” in the likes of Ray Hudson, and not  going the typical Dobson, Rauter takes.

Whenever I hear Rauter I think the Olympics or curling tbh. I don’t like his voice for soccer.…..but do you see what we are complaining about. 

The mute button works for everybody.😁