Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

30 minutes ago, narduch said:

Also tonight's Gold Cup matches are available for free on One Soccer's youtube page.

Just last night I was watching Barry Lyndon, which is a bit long, fell asleep. Woke up, flipped channels, and saw I get all of Gold Cup on GolTV here, I had no idea. And fairly good commentaries, the Spanish announcer was very well informed, watched part of Canada-MTQ before fading off again.

Great thing I can watch when I want, not have to rely on One Soccer or watch live at 3 in the morning.

10 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If you have no real moral centre and you need the board of Concacaf or UEFA to give you one, then congratulations.

Ha. What a frankly, ridiculous, logical leap.

You said 

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The point is that barring moving Mexico City to sea level something has to be done to give their rivals an edge.

This is not true, Mexico has done things other nations and clubs, great and small, have done and been punished for.  If we are honest, FIFA has been lenient compared to the UEFA ones I posted.  After I posted, I saw this from 2017*.  "The country has now been fined nine times for homophobic chanting during this World Cup qualifying campaign." Ie. 2018 WCQs.  I didn't see others getting essentially nine warnings (at least) before losing fans.

There is no conspiracy against them as I said when I opened my post.  It really silly to think so based on the evidence. And that and really only that was the point of the post.  You apparently could not address that and so invented my opinion for me on the morality of it all.  Honestly, not out of character for the internet but a really classical and weak way to deflect from not addressing a point. 

*https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/41474944

9 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Ha. What a frankly, ridiculous, logical leap.

You said 

This is not true, Mexico has done things other nations and clubs, great and small, have done and been punished for.  If we are honest, FIFA has been lenient compared to the UEFA ones I posted.  After I posted, I saw this from 2017*.  "The country has now been fined nine times for homophobic chanting during this World Cup qualifying campaign." Ie. 2018 WCQs.  I didn't see others getting essentially nine warnings (at least) before losing fans.

There is no conspiracy against them as I said when I opened my post.  It really silly to think so based on the evidence. And that and really only that was the point of the post.  You apparently could not address that and so invented my opinion for me on the morality of it all.  Honestly, not out of character for the internet but a really classical and weak way to deflect from not addressing a point. 

*https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/41474944

I was not talking about you personally. 

But you seem to agree some are fine with getting their orientation on ethical questions from football disciplinary boards?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

58 minutes ago, narduch said:

Also tonight's Gold Cup matches are available for free on One Soccer's youtube page.

Interesting they created a separate stream on OneSoccer for the Gold Cup matches on Sunday but not tonight.  I guess because Canada was playing on Sunday?

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

But you seem to agree some are fine with getting their orientation on ethical questions from football disciplinary boards?

Whether you are talking to me or anyone, it was still a mind-reading logical leap that deflected from the point of the post.

I let others speak for themselves. What would make you presume I think I am in other people's heads and can say what they are fine or not with?  I presented some facts that countered a silly assertion - nothing more. 

11 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Whether you are talking to me or anyone, it was still a mind-reading logical leap that deflected from the point of the post.

I let others speak for themselves. What would make you presume I think I am in other people's heads and can say what they are fine or not with?  I presented some facts that countered a silly assertion - nothing more. 

My whole point from day one has been the same: if you think by stopping Mexicans from chanting puto you are doing anything substantial for the cause of gays in Mexico or anywhere, you clearly do not give a damn about the cause of gays in Mexico or anywhere. It is a hypocritical subterfuge invented in some boardroom. 

Thanks too for ignoring the logic of UEFA fining Barça because fans carry a version of their national flag into Camp Nou. If they can fine that, what are the rest of their fines worth?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

58 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

My whole point from day one has been the same: if you think by stopping Mexicans from chanting puto you are doing anything substantial for the cause of gays in Mexico or anywhere, you clearly do not give a damn about the cause of gays in Mexico or anywhere. It is a hypocritical subterfuge invented in some boardroom. 

I don’t think you speak for Mexican gays and from what I can tell they  favour doing away with the chant. No one thinks doing away with the chant is going to single handedly end homophobia or change the world.

7 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:It didn't start just 15 years ago unless it spread like wildfire because I remember this being said from the point I started following Mexican footy in 2004.  

By all accounts it started locally in the late 90s - early 2000s. So somewhere in the 15-20 year range and only a entrenched part of Mexican fandom for 10 years or so.

The origins of the chant in Mexico are hazy, but it started at club level before going international. Two well-known Mexico keepers – Oswaldo Sánchez and Óscar Perez – are said to have been among the first targets of the chant at club level in the mid-00s. The chant occurred sporadically at the 2010 World Cup, but the 2014 tournament in Brazil brought it to a new level. 
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/18/puto-chants-mexico-football-world-cup