Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

22 minutes ago, narduch said:

Today's matches. Times in ET.

Should be available for free on One Soccer YouTube 

Screenshot_20210714-073230_FotMob.jpg

Imagine if Trinidad get a result against El Salvador could you imagine?

Or imagine if Guatemala actually can beat Mexico or get a point by drawing with Mexico

4 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Qatar 🇶🇦 actually looked impressive last night against Panama 🇵🇦 like I'm shocked because I was expecting them to lay an egg but they definitely didn't. I'm even amazed. They managed to draw with Panama who was at the last World Cup in Russia and Qatar are trying to get tournament experience winning the 2019 Asian Cup, played at Copa America 2019 and now here at the 2021 Gold Cup. They look good.

Can’t say I didn’t tell you 😛

They’re a very solid side. I’d argue they were even uncharacteristically poor defensively, usually look far more organized in the back.

As I mentioned earlier, the core of this team has played together since childhood and has benefitted from exposure to quality training at Aspire and in Europe, prior to returning to the domestic league. 

Their federation showed foresight/patience, uncharacteristic for the region, when they decided to focus on continuity and familiarity both among the players and their management. Their manager has been with the same core group for over a decade, first at Aspire, then the youth NTs, and now with the men’s side. 

I’d argue Akram Afif( reigning AFC player of the year)may be the most technically gifted player at this tournament. Definitely good enough to play in Europe, but incentive isn’t there considering how good he has it in Qatar.

2 minutes ago, BigMo said:

Can’t say I didn’t tell you 😛

They’re a very solid side. I’d argue they were even uncharacteristically poor defensively, usually look far more organized in the back.

As I mentioned earlier, the core of this team has played together since childhood and has benefitted from exposure to quality training at Aspire and in Europe, prior to returning to the domestic league. 

Their federation showed foresight/patience, uncharacteristic for the region, when they decided to focus on continuity and familiarity both among the players and their management. Their manager has been with the same core group for over a decade, first at Aspire, then the youth NTs, and now with the men’s side. 

I’d argue Akram Afif( reigning AFC player of the year)may be the most technically gifted player at this tournament. Definitely good enough to play in Europe, but incentive isn’t there considering how good he has it in Qatar.

I wouldn't be surprised if Qatar end up being a dark horse in this Gold Cup or they end up as the Cinderella of this tournament 

8 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Qatar end up being a dark horse in this Gold Cup or they end up as the Cinderella of this tournament 

Many books had Qatar as #4 ranked for odds to win, Costa Rica was #3. Canada was #5-#6-#7 depending on the sports book interchanging with Jamaica and Honduras. 

2 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Many books had Qatar as #4 ranked for odds to win, Costa Rica was #3. Canada was #5-#6-#7 depending on the sports book interchanging with Jamaica and Honduras. 

I wasn’t very impressed with Honduras last night. Haven’t watched them for a while admittedly, but I’d be disappointed if we didn’t get three points in September. 

Just now, BigMo said:

I wasn’t very impressed with Honduras last night. Haven’t watched them for a while admittedly, but I’d be disappointed if we didn’t get three points in September. 

Thanks for the info, I'll be honest... I gave up on the stream and just woke up to see the 4-0 scoreline. 

Interesting they brought Jerry Bengtson back into the squad, I thought they had moved on from him. 

1 hour ago, BigMo said:

In the first half I honestly thought that Grenada was going to take the match. Honduras grew into the game in the second half. I'm not going to jinx the September match, but 2021 Honduras does not look as dangerous as their teams of old.

9 hours ago, An Observer said:

Geez.  Luke Shaw has a nice ass.  I better remember to look next time.  Upset the Euros are over now.

On a more serious note, we can debate whether its a homophobic chant or not and whether FIFA is being hypocritical or not but what I don't get is the Mexican fans themselves.  Clearly, FIFA has mandated that they don't want to hear this anymore and by continually chanting it, they are just damaging their own side.  They already have to play the first two WCQ behind closed doors.  And if they continue, they likely will have to play more like that or worse which undermines their World Cup hopes.  That just seems plain stupid.  But being a Canadian fan, I will take it. 

They probably see it as an attack against Mexican fan culture. If it was merely about homophobia to them they probably would have backed down by now. My guess is they are feeling attacked and misunderstood.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

They probably see it as an attack against Mexican fan culture. If it was merely about homophobia to them they probably would have backed down by now. My guess is they are feeling attacked and misunderstood.

I certainly can see that.  For years and years - at least back to my grandad's generation, English club culture songs would take a rival's stereotype and run with it. A lot of times, it was economic based (West Ham would sing to Millwall and others to West Ham - "The wheels on your house go round and round, round and round, round and round..." or "We don't spend our time, standing in the dole queue, we don't spend half our time standing in the dole...) but sometimes it was racial, most notably with Spurs' traditionally Jewish support.  And in cases like Brighton and Watford (via Elton John) the same sort of thing that the Mexican fans do. 

Edit: I guess I should add Chelsea as well, whose "traditional" nickname amongst other supporters is a pretty good translation of the word the Mexicans use. 

Not matter how long the history of it, you get banned for at least the latter two types and your club gets fined. Whether I happen to agree with it or not, things change and it is happening everywhere. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

2 hours ago, Floortom said:

That penalty awarded to Panama was a clear dive. How did that go to VAR and not get reversed? 

It was an embellishment…but it wasn’t clear and obvious for the referee to overrule his initial call. The defender wasn’t in control of his body when he went to ground to challenge across the opponents body all while having his arm around his back.

To me it was a penalty. 

15 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Les cas de Covid-19 se multiplient au sein de la sélection haïtienne ! Ce matin, c'est autour des milieux Bryan Alcéus et Zachary Hérivaux d'être testés positifs. Le nombre de cas positifs s'élève à 9 joueurs, à moins de 48 heures du match d'Haïti contre le Canada.

Alceus is a regular starter while Herivaux usually subs on. Tough situation for Haiti. As far as I can tell they will be missing at least 3 regular starters + 2 subs for our match.

If this is correct then off the top of my head they’re missing:

Duverger

Rouaud 

Pierrot

Herivaux

Alceus

Nazon

Louima

Edit: Geffrard as well and just read an article that said the original outbreak was 5 players so there is someone else who tested positive too. Absolutely sucks for Haiti and at some point they might have to consider pulling out of the tournament.

Edited by Atlantic

7 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

If that many players have covid then clearly the rest of the team has been exposed.  I won't be surprised if they have to withdraw

I agree if they are still finding cases after the initial outbreak there are probably more lurking that will come up as positive in the next few days. Not sure if that’s taken into consideration as the rule seems to simply be you need to get a minimum number of players with a minimum test that can be fielded

edit: wow just saw the above post saying Nauzon is positive too

Edited by Floortom