The Road to Qatar.

Binky

26 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Guatemala beat El Salvador 2-0 in a friendly match in Washington D.C.

It was an El Salvador B- or even C side.

4 experienced guys, 3 guys with only two caps, 5 guys with only one cap, 8 guys with zero caps.

And the Guatemalan side?

Just now, SoccMan said:

This Antonio guy looks scary just saw him get the winning goal for West Ham against Leeds in injury time. The guy is a beast and scored a great goal . 

He’s really good when he’s not injured - arguably the most dangerous player in concacaf. I still don’t get why England didn’t call him.

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

He’s really good when he’s not injured - arguably the most dangerous player in concacaf. I still don’t get why England didn’t call him.

It’s England…they got identity issues. 

Harry Kane is a legend, but he completely changes how dangerous they should be with the way he likes to drop deep and not stretch the line with his (lack thereof) pace and strength. 

Englands loss, Jamaica’s gain. 

20 hours ago, Floortom said:

His consistent finishing and decent decision making is a relatively recent development (Moyes and probably Kevin Nolan deserve some credit.)  He could always bully defences (mostly playing on the wing) but you were not sure what you were going to get at the end of it.  Add to that the fact that Southgate has gone relatively youthful up front beyond Kane and Mikey has also only been a forward on the reg for a few season.  And he has hamstrings made of balsa wood. 

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

His consistent finishing and decent decision making is a relatively recent development (Moyes and probably Kevin Nolan deserve some credit.)  He could always bully defences (mostly playing on the wing) but you were not sure what you were going to get at the end of it.  Add to that the fact that Southgate has gone relatively youthful up front beyond Kane and Mikey has also only been a forward on the reg for a few season.  And he has hamstrings made of balsa wood. 

Had Big Sam not been sacked he probably ends up being a regular for England.

• 3 weeks later...

Between windows opponent watch:

- Mexico will face Ecuador in Charlotte on Wednesday, October 27th

- El Salvador are looking to face Bolivia in Washington D.C. on Friday, November 5th

EDIT: TFC might even let Eriq Zavaleta play if they are officially out of the playoff race 🤣

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

On 10/16/2021 at 12:44 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Between windows opponent watch:

- Mexico will face Ecuador in Charlotte on Wednesday, October 27th

- El Salvador are looking to face Bolivia in Washington D.C. on Friday, November 5th

EDIT: TFC might even let Eriq Zavaleta play if they are officially out of the playoff race 🤣

With the fixture pressure and all, why are they doing those friendlies? I don't get it.

They can only call in their domestic players (speaking of Mexico), they can hardly conclude anything from playing those matches. Just for money? Are they trying to sneak in a match without the "puto" chant so they reduce future sanctions?

23 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

With the fixture pressure and all, why are they doing those friendlies? I don't get it.

They can only call in their domestic players (speaking of Mexico), they can hardly conclude anything from playing those matches. Just for money? Are they trying to sneak in a match without the "puto" chant so they reduce future sanctions?

My guess would be money. If they wanted to try to clean up their chant act they would probably make a better case if they could achieve a clean game in Mexico, rather than in the USA.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

My guess would be money. If they wanted to try to clean up their chant act they would probably make a better case if they could achieve a clean game in Mexico, rather than in the USA.

Yeah its gotta be money..playing a game in the US is more likely to have the chant than in Mexico

5 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Why does the USSF even allow this on their soil unless a boat load of money is coming their way?

Mexico friendlies is a huge source of revenue for the USSF each time they play on US soil.

Also El Salvador in DC is big too, they sellout all their games there with around 350,000 El Salvadorans living in the DMV area. 

London has a lot of random friendlies too with all the stadiums there. There is a stadium for whatever size you think you need I have Italy Brazil Italy , Argentina Croatia, USA Colombia and Jamaica Nigeria  at of all places the New Den. If I remember correctly Canada played Australia there too. 

50 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

Would be cruel imo to not give it back to Borjan. Crepeau didn't make any saves that I think Borjan wouldn't make. He was there and did his job.

I thought the same thing.  Is Crepeau’s performance for the window not being overrated?  No stand on his head saves (with the exception of a great save at the end of the Jamaica and Panama games - but saveable) and got saved from a non-called PK in the Mexico game that he caused.

3 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I thought the same thing.  Is Crepeau’s performance for the window not being overrated?  No stand on his head saves (with the exception of a great save at the end of the Jamaica and Panama games - but saveable) and got saved from a non-called PK in the Mexico game that he caused.

Saves are sexy but not the only part of goalkeeping. He can only save the shots he faces but that save late on vs. Panama was massive and he was dependable in dealing with crosses and his distribution was sound. 

A good window from him.

25 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Saves are sexy but not the only part of goalkeeping. He can only save the shots he faces but that save late on vs. Panama was massive and he was dependable in dealing with crosses and his distribution was sound. 

A good window from him.

It was a good window, but I don’t see it moving him from 1B to 1A.

Edited by trc2014

• Admin locked this topic