The Road to Qatar.

Binky

On 10/18/2021 at 7:13 AM, Kent said:

My guess would be money. If they wanted to try to clean up their chant act they would probably make a better case if they could achieve a clean game in Mexico, rather than in the USA.

Yeah, i think its money.  Back in the Gold cup thread, i was making a case that some of the central american sides, and also Mexico, might be financially better off  by playing all their international games on US soil.  Their revenues would be in US dollars and the disposable income (and purchasing power) of their fan base in the US would likely be higher than that of their fan base in the home country.   You gotta figure that total revenues have to be conisderably higher by playing in the US and that could go a long way towards covering their costs and other expenses related to their WCQ campaign. 

On 10/18/2021 at 9:41 AM, JamboAl said:

Why does the USSF even allow this on their soil unless a boat load of money is coming their way?

When people compare FIFA to organized crime, this is one of the ways that is most accurate.  National FA's function like street gangs that control their designated territory.  Anyone wanting to do business on their territory must pay a street tax to the local gang (National FA) for the right to do so.  Even if the party subject to the shakedown is willing to pay, they still won't be granted permission if their business competes with entities controlled by the gang itself.  This was the case with the Relevant Sports lawsuit when the MLS board members of the USSF blocked La Liga games in Miami.  Mexico's games are promoted by SUM, a rival promoter that is owned MLS owners and USSF board members.

The "muscle" the gang uses to enforce compliance is the FIFA sanctioning granted by the gang HQ in Switzerland.  Any promoter operating an unsanctioned event is blacklisted along with any player or coach competing.  Players are banned from international football and everyone is persona non grata.    

1 hour ago, apbsmith said:

Jan 30th closed door in Florida, cause BC place can't sort out the turf renovations... Imagine... 

Really hope I'm wrong. Use to live in Victoria, already got the flight booked. 

Even worse, they could decide to sell tickets in Florida. I mean they will be playing the USA, so they should be able to pack a stadium and make some money. I mean, what could be the drawback? 🙄

42 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Why is making money or wanting to make money a bad thing?  

Nothing wrong with it when you are providing a reciprocal contribution in productivity in exchange for the money.  That's not what's happening here.  It's economic rent seeking behaviour resulting from an abusive power imbalance where one party "owns the rails".  It's why competition law exists.    

I dont see that at all.  Or am i missing something?  A national federation want to play a friendly against another national federation’s team on third part soil.   Thats because its more profitable to play on third party soil or the risk of loss is lessened.   The third part agrees to it and presumably gets some sort of compensation (or rent) for this right as presumably the intl rules state that they are entitled to.  The national federation #1 and federatio #2 play the game and each gets a portion of the revenues.   The spectators who pay attend do so at their free will.   Both federations  play the game and get revenues if it is profitable.  The third party federation got their cut.  The game is played, the fans get a service in the form of entertainment.  That is if it is entertaining, if it isnt then thats the chnace you take when you play for any entertainment.

Where is the anticompetitive behavior here?  Who is being exploited here?   Is anybody being extorted? Is anybody putting a gun to anybody’s head to attend and or pay up?  The concacaf federations can play at home If they wanted to or of they dont argree on the rent.   Is anybody stealing money?  If yes, who being robbed?   Is someone breaking the law or even doing anything unethicaI?  dont see it.   Its just business….

PS.:  oh by the way.  The CSA may have done this in the past.   In the lead to WC 1994, i believe some matches were played on canadian soil not involving Canada. there have been intl matched played in canada not involving Canada in the last 10 years.   I think one was Portugal against someone else…. Cant recall.  My understanding is that some compensation went to the CSA from this. 

Edited by Free kick

22 hours ago, johnyb said:

Where? January 30th in Canada...Has to be BC Place.

Before I say anything else, I’m agreeing with you it will most likely be at BC Place. But, if plans are to put that turf down, and it’s suppose to go till late January, the CSA would have to make a tough decision. Any sort of delay in that project, and it would leave Canada without a place to play. 

Alternative sights as stated above would be swanguard, Big O, or Rogers Centre. But if they’re going to play at Roger Centre, I’ll put this out there. BMO Field is winterized. Last year on January 30th, it had a high of -1, and low of -4 in Toronto. TFC also played a game at BMO at the end of February, when it was way colder. 

I think they will also take into consideration how Canada plays this November window, outside in the cold. They get 6 points, maybe they think about it. But again, if that project is suppose to be done early January, then all this is moot, and 90% the game is at BC Place. 

In late january, there could be a foot of snow to clear off the surface at BMO.  True, Toronto sees less and less snow that stays ground during its winters compared to the rest of the country.   But its still winter and its 50-50 that there will be snow.  It could well make a mockery of the game.  

edit.:  on second thought,  they do have undersoil heating.  So what i said is not likely.   Pls disregard. 

Edited by Free kick

39 minutes ago, TOCanada115 said:

Before I say anything else, I’m agreeing with you it will most likely be at BC Place. But, if plans are to put that turf down, and it’s suppose to go till late January, the CSA would have to make a tough decision. Any sort of delay in that project, and it would leave Canada without a place to play. 

Alternative sights as stated above would be swanguard, Big O, or Rogers Centre. But if they’re going to play at Roger Centre, I’ll put this out there. BMO Field is winterized. Last year on January 30th, it had a high of -1, and low of -4 in Toronto. TFC also played a game at BMO at the end of February, when it was way colder. 

I think they will also take into consideration how Canada plays this November window, outside in the cold. They get 6 points, maybe they think about it. But again, if that project is suppose to be done early January, then all this is moot, and 90% the game is at BC Place. 

Rogers centre is locked in baseball config. Would take some pretty substantial work to move it back to a rectangle playing surface. 

no chance they play jan 30th in edmonton when it could easily be -10c before windchill and nightfall. 

if BC place isn’t an option, i think next best bets are BMO and even Tim Hortons field(mid december grey cup, mid march leafs game)

Big O would be too much of a risk with the snow and roof weight issues. 

i still think it will be at BC Place and they dont have issues installing the turf. Its a pretty standard replacement. 

The Big O would be a big risk because of the surface.  Its basically concrete.   Not because of snow on the roof.   Yes, it caved days before the opening of an auto show in 1999.   But that was a one off.  

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1146728/dechirure-nouvelle-toile-stade-olympique-jo-montreal-archives

The montreal impact played CCL and MLS games there in the winter mos. 

BMO has undersoil heating whereas i dont believe Tim Hortons does. But i could be wrong.

Edited by Free kick

16 minutes ago, Free kick said:

The Big O would be a big risk because of the surface.  Its basically concrete.   Not because of snow on the roof.   Yes, its caved in on some expensive Ferrari’s and Lamborghini’s during an auto show once in january several years ago.   But that was a one off.  

BMO has undersoil heating whereas i dont believe Tim Hortons does. But i could be wrong.

I used to love going to Expos games back in the day.  Easy day trip from Ottawa or a great night out on Crescent after.  But that stadium passed its prime 30 years ago.  Some would argue it never had a prime to begin with.  To have a game there would be embarrassing and the absolute last resort.  That’s aside from the field issues themselves.

• Admin locked this topic