The Road to Qatar.

Binky

35 minutes ago, Shway said:

Domestic 23+.....here we go.

GK: St Clair, Pantemis, Crepeau
DF: Waterman, Miller, ZBG, Laryea, Johnston, Gutierrez, Bassong
MF: Piette, Osorio, Kaye, Fraser, Teibert, Edwards, Choinerre, Okello, Bustos, Chapman
FW: Akinola, Akindele, Pasher, Cavallini, Shaffelburg

Start this camp in early January like the USA would do, play a few matches, see how some new guys perform....add them to the players abroad list of:

GK: Borjan
DF: Henry, Adekugbe, Kennedy, Vitoria, Corneilius, James
MF: Hutchinson, Wotherspoon, Eustaqiuo, Paton
FW: Larin, David, Davies, Buchanan, Hoilett, Ennin

In closing I'll say, I really hope we eliminate any excuses of money being the reason we don't make it to the Qatar. Because we have the team, we have the players....I hope the CSA sees this opportunity to go in the red, knowing that when we qualify it will automatically bring us in the green.

That is what I am walking about, like it. This Plus I would throw in Marshall Rutty and Nelson along with any Euro based players on winter break. That’s another list to compile. This camp, pre-camp whatever you want to call it is about getting the North American based pros back into the swing of things after a bit of break. 

15 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Need more CBs to round out that squad.  James will be on a break in Jan so presumably available for a January camp.  same with Sturing.  

That was what jumped out at me as well - most of the defenders are outside backs rather than playing centrally.  

And if James could get to a camp, maybe he could apologize for running over Herdman’s cat (or whatever he did to basically get completely excluded from the squad).  

9 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

That's true! So will Doneil Henry (Korea), Ennin (Russia) and any Scottish players if their clubs allow them to miss the first round of Scottish Cup matches.

Would be a great opportunity to get a guy like Ennin into the fold and let Herdman see him alongside guys like Brym, Akindele, Cav, etc.  

On 10/27/2021 at 7:51 AM, Shway said:

Domestic 23+.....here we go.

GK: St Clair, Pantemis, Crepeau
DF: Waterman, Miller, ZBG, Laryea, Johnston, Gutierrez, Bassong
MF: Piette, Osorio, Kaye, Fraser, Teibert, Edwards, Choinerre, Okello, Bustos, Chapman
FW: Akinola, Akindele, Pasher, Cavallini, Shaffelburg

Start this camp in early January like the USA would do, play a few matches, see how some new guys perform....add them to the players abroad list of:

GK: Borjan
DF: Henry, Adekugbe, Kennedy, Vitoria, Corneilius, James
MF: Hutchinson, Wotherspoon, Eustaqiuo, Paton
FW: Larin, David, Davies, Buchanan, Hoilett, Ennin

In closing I'll say, I really hope we eliminate any excuses of money being the reason we don't make it to the Qatar. Because we have the team, we have the players....I hope the CSA sees this opportunity to go in the red, knowing that when we qualify it will automatically bring us in the green.

Akinola - guessing he was thrown in for completeness, but he’s probably not going to be in position to train with contact by January. You can bring him down for the experience if he wants, but chances are he’ll still be better off at home with his physio. If you wanna go positional, next man up is probably Tosaint Ricketts or one of the CanPL guys.

I’ll throw out a bit of a wildcard as well. Gloire Amanda. 1 goal in 8 matches for Austria Klagenfurt in the Austrian Bundesliga doesn’t seem like much, but those 8 games only represent 101 minutes. Like Sturing, Amanda will be on break.

Baldisimo also deserves a look.

On 10/27/2021 at 10:15 AM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

That's true! So will Doneil Henry (Korea), Ennin (Russia) and any Scottish players if their clubs allow them to miss the first round of Scottish Cup matches.

Henry, James, Sturing, etc are tricky. They’re on break but some would probably still training with their clubs, who may not be interested in releasing them outside the FIFA window.

1 hour ago, footballfreak said:

Akinola - guessing he was thrown in for completeness, but he’s probably not going to be in position to train with contact by January. You can bring him down for the experience if he wants, but chances are he’ll still be better off at home with his physio. If you wanna go positional, next man up is probably Tosaint Ricketts or one of the CanPL guys.

I’ll throw out a bit of a wildcard as well. Gloire Amanda. 1 goal in 8 matches for Austria Klagenfurt in the Austrian Bundesliga doesn’t seem like much, but those 8 games only represent 101 minutes. Like Sturing, Amanda will be on break.

Baldisimo also deserves a look.

Henry, James, Sturing, etc are tricky. They’re on break but some would probably still training with their clubs, who may not be interested in releasing them outside the FIFA window.

When is South Korea's break?

On 10/24/2021 at 12:37 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

El Salvador want even more friendlies.

Not just vs Bolivia in November but against Venezuela and Chile in December:

http://chile.as.com/chile/2021/10/23/futbol/1634991653_067200.amp.html

In December, Chile, before playing El Salvador in L.A., will play Mexico in Austin.

http://www.lacuarta.com/deportes/noticia/la-roja-amistosos-diciembre/688704/amp/

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

16 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

In December, Chile, before playing El Salvador in L.A., will play Mexico in Austin.

http://www.lacuarta.com/deportes/noticia/la-roja-amistosos-diciembre/688704/amp/

Canada should be all over getting a game in December considering all the countries that seem to be playing them.  Yes it would be a North American based roster but that is not all that bad considering the MLS  season will just have ended not too long before and it would be chance to see the guys before January. Mexico just played Ecuador a few days ago in Charlotte with a domestic league roster. 

1 hour ago, Cblake said:

Canada should be all over getting a game in December considering all the countries that seem to be playing them.  Yes it would be a North American based roster but that is not all that bad considering the MLS  season will just have ended not too long before and it would be chance to see the guys before January. Mexico just played Ecuador a few days ago in Charlotte with a domestic league roster. 

Playing with a domestic roster is no longer equivalent to "playing with a B team". Yes there's be no Davies, David, Larin, Eustaquio, etc., but there are plenty of solid domestic players now (well, American-domestic, but still).

No reason why we couldn't hold our own against domestic based teams from Mexico, Chile, Ecuador, etc. 

35 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Playing with a domestic roster is no longer equivalent to "playing with a B team". Yes there's be no Davies, David, Larin, Eustaquio, etc., but there are plenty of solid domestic players now (well, American-domestic, but still).

No reason why we couldn't hold our own against domestic based teams from Mexico, Chile, Ecuador, etc. 

In my eyes your B team includes no one or just a handful of your core of say 25-30 players that would b up for a WCQ call up. At this point almost half of the core is North American based for Canada. So taking the core and filling it in with some good NA based talent the coaches want to see. This type of roster would be no slouch, could give some decent teams a run for their money and give the coaches something to think about as things move forward. There really is no reason not to play such a game. I would rather they a play a domestic league side from a stronger side than some minnow. 

1 hour ago, Cblake said:

In my eyes your B team includes no one or just a handful of your core of say 25-30 players that would b up for a WCQ call up. At this point almost half of the core is North American based for Canada. So taking the core and filling it in with some good NA based talent the coaches want to see. This type of roster would be no slouch, could give some decent teams a run for their money and give the coaches something to think about as things move forward. There really is no reason not to play such a game. I would rather they a play a domestic league side from a stronger side than some minnow. 

The Canada B Team series vs Millwall and Hearts at Swangard (in 2004?) is the sterling example of the feasibility and overwhelming good that could come of such an idea.

4 hours ago, Cblake said:

Didn’t that friendly sell something like 60k tickets? Canada is getting more popular for sure but not to the point that a friendly would be a money maker. I doubt Canada has the budget to pay for a friendly given the number of money losing fan-less fixtures this year already.

30 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Didn’t that friendly sell something like 60k tickets? Canada is getting more popular for sure but not to the point that a friendly would be a money maker. I doubt Canada has the budget to pay for a friendly given the number of money losing fan-less fixtures this year already.

What would you want to do is find a promoter that has another team under contract and needs an opponent. An example would be playing say a domestic league side from say El Salvador which can sell allot of tickets in certain US markets. I would have no problem with Canada playing a friendly in a pro opponent environment. It could actually be a good thing. 

Opponent watch:

- Panama is holding a camp for their domestic-based players over the next few days

- Honduras, who just got a new coach are also holding a camp for their domestic-based players over the next few days

- El Salvador have a friendly against Bolivia on Friday ( November 5th ) in Washington D.C.

Besides the rumours of more El Salvador friendlies and a Mexico friendly in December, the USA may host Bosnia in L.A. on Saturday, December 18th.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

23 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Opponent watch:

- Panama is holding a camp for their domestic-based players over the next few days

- Honduras, who just got a new coach are also holding a camp for their domestic-based players over the next few days

- El Salvador have a friendly against Bolivia on Friday ( November 5th ) in Washington D.C.

Besides the rumours of more El Salvador friendlies and a Mexico friendly in December, the USA may host Bosnia in L.A. on Saturday, December 18th.

Would be a shame if we didn't capitalize and play friendlies as well. We have a lot of players that need blooding. The consequence of having a strong team is that chances are now hard to come by for so many players.

Off the top of my head here are some MLS guys who are worth investing in, but aren't getting into the national team at the moment: Rutty, Nelson, Okello, Bassong, Waterman, Chioniere, Tabla, Baldisimo, Raposo, Metcalfe, Guitierrez, Hasal, St. Clair, Chapman, Akindele, Edwards.

I am sure I missed a couple of deserving names, plus there are a handful in CPL who should be rewarded (Abzi, Babouli, Farsi, Campbell....even guys who've been involved in the past like Bustos, Bekker and Arid I would like to see get another chance). 

Point being, we really should try and hold a domestic camp at minimum. We could set up something on Vancouver Island or the Lower Mainland. It doesn't have to be fancy and we could cap it off with a friendly at Starlight stadium or something, against a modest opponent. Sell a few tickets and treat it as the WCQ appetizer. 

Meanwhile, have the main team leave and travel down to the southern USA for a similar camp (if not a friendly), seeing our first game of the Jan window is in central America.

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Would be a shame if we didn't capitalize and play friendlies as well. We have a lot of players that need blooding. The consequence of having a strong team is that chances are now hard to come by for so many players.

Off the top of my head here are some MLS guys who are worth investing in, but aren't getting into the national team at the moment: Rutty, Nelson, Okello, Bassong, Waterman, Chioniere, Tabla, Baldisimo, Raposo, Metcalfe, Guitierrez, Hasal, St. Clair, Chapman, Akindele, Edwards.

I am sure I missed a couple of deserving names, plus there are a handful in CPL who should be rewarded (Abzi, Babouli, Farsi, Campbell....even guys who've been involved in the past like Bustos, Bekker and Arid I would like to see get another chance). 

Point being, we really should try and hold a domestic camp at minimum. We could set up something on Vancouver Island or the Lower Mainland. It doesn't have to be fancy and we could cap it off with a friendly at Starlight stadium or something, against a modest opponent. Sell a few tickets and treat it as the WCQ appetizer. 

Meanwhile, have the main team leave and travel down to the southern USA for a similar camp (if not a friendly), seeing our first game of the Jan window is in central America.

Even playing a domestic based El Salvador side in say DC where they play a lot and pack the place with a sea of blue would be good in my eyes, it could battle test a young Canadian squad. A domestic camp in early January before the WCQ window is going to be needed.  

10 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Even playing a domestic based El Salvador side in say DC where they play a lot and pack the place with a sea of blue would be good in my eyes, it could battle test a young Canadian squad. A domestic camp in early January before the WCQ window is going to be needed.  

Yup that too is a great idea. Ideally you'd want to be in a warmer climate, but you may have to take what a promoter is giving you (ex. EL Salvador in DC or Baltimore). You could get the same scenario in Southern California and while it wouldn't exactly mimic Central America, it would be closer (both climatically and travel-wise).

Only downside of the idea is that I don't see us playing them so close to our qualifier. I don't think either coach is going to want to do that tip their hand and frankly you don't see that too often, if at all. 

We could potentially play a Guatemala or Nicaragua, however. 

Either way, like you said, a domestic camp is key. As a CMNT supporter, one thing I have always wanted out of our domestic league is the ability to pull together a squad basically at any time, just like the Salvadorians and Hondurans do. The clubs in those leagues seem to bend over backwards and let their players go train as a group. I realize that none of the players in CPL are getting into the best selection of our national team, so it's a little different, but I want to see us start doing this regardless. For me it's one of the benefits of having a domestic league that we haven't taken advantage of yet and some players may surprise if given the opportunity. 

Edited by Obinna

10 minutes ago, narduch said:

This is bullshit and was my concern  when this was previously discussed, this favours the 2 teams we are most likely competing for 3rd place with, I don't disagree with punishment but it should be a points deduction, this is totally unfair that we had to play against them with hostile fans chanting homophobic slurs while now at least 3 of our rivals won't!

• Admin locked this topic