The Road to Qatar.

Binky

As much as I don't like Honduras, they look to be in a very good position with 2 away draws to start. San Pedro Sula is always a difficult place to get away results, so I think they'll be very pleased with where they are right now. They're going to get a gift on the 2nd last matchday, getting to play Mexico who will have already qualified, so Mexico will roll over for them (as they've done in the past, see the 2018 WCQ cycle) and Honduras will most likely pick up points against a team not many other countries will take points off of. We'll have to see what happens with Jamaica and whether they can turn things around, but if things go south for them, Honduras gets them on the last matchday, so Honduras could have a couple of good opportunities for points in the final few matchdays.

Edited by jtpc

Wow. Still, where they were born is not the same as a complete parachute to the country. Any idea how many of theirs are like Wotherspoon? (I suspect many but just curious)

Besides DW we have four others not born in Canada (AD, MB, JD and SA) three of whom started yesterday, but they all grew up in Canada. 

1 hour ago, shorty said:

Wow. Still, where they were born is not the same as a complete parachute to the country. Any idea how many of theirs are like Wotherspoon? (I suspect many but just curious)

Besides DW we have four others not born in Canada (AD, MB, JD and SA) three of whom started yesterday, but they all grew up in Canada. 

I always go by where a player spent most of their time playing youth soccer and on our Canadian team almost all with a few exceptions played most of their youth soccer in Canada .

1 hour ago, shorty said:

I think all of them are just English guys not good enough for England, guys playing on lower EPL clubs or the Championship. 

As for their most recent face plant, the team as usual just lack the qualities needed to succeed in the final stages of WCQ. 

Based on talent alone, they should be qualifying as the fourth or third placed team as evidenced by their gold cup performances the last four tournaments, two close semi final losses to the States and two runner up medals the two attempts prior to that. However, talent will only get them so far and if they don't have the cohesion, organization and discipline to play these matches, they can expect more performances like the one they had against Panama.

Edited by Macksam

1 hour ago, shorty said:

Yup ..Canada is a land of immigrants. The only player comparable to the English Jamaicans would be DW for us currently and he has not played in either of the 2 matches.

Two unrelated things I thought I heard last night but haven't seen posted.  Maybe they have been posted because instead of posting during the game, and being distracted, I actually watched the game :)

I'm not sure if it was KJ in the post game YT vid that said Herdman compiled a list of some 3500? players to keep an eye on.  I'm prepared to sit corrected on that but it seemed like a crazy large number.  I believe it but I just wonder if anyone else heard it.

During the TSN broadcast they also mentioned Edmonton being the home for the November qualifiers: Mexico and I don't remember who else.  That would be good.

16 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I'm not sure if it was KJ in the post game YT vid that said Herdman compiled a list of some 3500? players to keep an eye on.  I'm prepared to sit corrected on that but it seemed like a crazy large number.  I believe it but I just wonder if anyone else heard it.

Herdman said 3000 in a press conference a couple of years ago. I was also taken aback when I heard it.

25 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Two unrelated things I thought I heard last night but haven't seen posted.  Maybe they have been posted because instead of posting during the game, and being distracted, I actually watched the game :)

During the TSN broadcast they also mentioned Edmonton being the home for the November qualifiers: Mexico and I don't remember who else.  That would be good.

I just assumed you have no smart phone being a dinosaur and all. 

Lol, I'm pulling your leg. However, if you do lack a smart mobile device, keep it that way. You don't want this, it's a curse rather than a blessing. 

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

I think Canada Soccer wants that Canadiana image to really draw in all Canadians. I think with the Alphonso homecoming it will he a pretty cool thing. Hopefully it doesn't back fire 

As a kid who remembers trying to go trick-or-treating in -30 near Edmonton, there is always a distinct possibility of essentially unplayable weather in early/mid November. 

That said, selfishly, it would be great for me, I will be back in Alberta then. 

2 hours ago, Macksam said:

I just assumed you have no smart phone being a dinosaur and all. 

Lol, I'm pulling your leg. However, if you do lack a smart mobile device, keep it that way. You don't want this, it's a curse rather than a blessing.

I should clarify what I meant to say.  I watched the Honduras game on my big screen while posting here on my laptop on my coffee table.  While trying to keep up with the posts I think I missed half the game :)  So, I promised myself I wouldn't do it vs the USA.  Having said that I missed most of the USA game posts and I wasn't going back to read 20 plus pages of posts.

Believe it or not I am a very tech guy, I have been using computers since the late 70s and have a college diploma in computer programming.  I have smartphones that people have given me but I don't use them.  One issue I have is I don't like the small screens and two I don't want anyone to contact me, I have zero interest in mainstream social media on a daily basis.  So yes, I am proudly a dinosaur, I want my technology to work for me not me for it :)

Let's hope Jamaica sacrifice the middle again when we play them next month. In the first half on Sunday, Panama could pass the ball around at will without any pressure put on them whatsoever. I'm also hoping for an empty stadium again.

No one is expecting anything from the away match in Mexico, but after Jamaica's performance on Sunday, I think an away point (at least) is not out of the question. Combine that with a home win against Panama, and it would be nice to add 4 points (or possibly 6) to whatever our total is from this month.

• Admin locked this topic