The Road to Qatar.

Binky

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

bigchunkoffudge.jpg

While we're filling time before the big game, some trivia about this photo.  The fella in the middle is the infamous Jos LeDuc who died 15 years after this commercial was made (1984) at the age of 54.  Sadly, the Kelly twins (Pat and Mike) were  involved in a famous minivan accident in Lewisporte Nfld that claimed the lives of Pat Kelly, Dave Bearman McKigney and WWF star Adrian Adonis, four years after this commercial was made.

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Big hunk of....FUDGGGEEE.  

bigchunkoffudge.jpg

Ha.  I sometimes really miss getting references like this. 

The other day I was having a conversation about the bad transfers one of our (West Ham) former managers oversaw.  I found out he has bought over a billion (yes!) £s worth of players over his career.

His top 5 most expensive were Ronaldo and Kaka for Real Madrid, Kevin deBruyne and Raheem Stirling for Man City and coming in at #5, Sebastian Haller for West Ham.

I started to sing from Sesame Street: "One of these things is not like the others, One of these things doesn't belong...".

Blank stares. Totally lost on the English.

1 hour ago, Ngravs said:

So game plan today, Canada wins and every other game ends up in a  draw. 

If we are looking at MEX/USA getting 1-2, then we are competing for 3rd with Jamaica, Honduras, Costa Rica. So I'm hoping MEX beats JAM and PAN beats CRC. The ones we are in competition with need to drop max points.

15 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

It's an inspirational story

I'm not choked up, you're choked up!  This is the only place i'll admit to getting choked up just by telling my wife the games start tonight.  Am I crazy?  

i'm gonna need to watch these next 14 games alone.  I know i'll cry like a baby if CANMNT actually qualifies for the WC.    

31 minutes ago, costarg said:

i'm gonna need to watch these next 14 games alone.  I know i'll cry like a baby if CANMNT actually qualifies for the WC.    

I'm with you, I hate watching the biggest of sporting events with other people. 

If I'm going to get worked up I don't want others to see it.  When I was a kid, I held my breath until the Leafs' Lanny MacDonald scored in OT to beat the Islanders, I damn near stopped breathing. 

I'm ok now but another funny one was an on and off girlfriend from out of province dropped by my place unannounced one Sunday.  She was totally oblivious to the fact that was Vancouver 2010 Canada vs USA hockey, the highest rated Canadian TV event since the Summit in 1972.  I knew after a few minutes of pretending to pay attention to her and watching the pregame over her shoulder I just gave up and went over and turned on the recorder.

To quote Holden Caulfield "People are always ruining things for you"  :)

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

1 hour ago, maplebanana said:

If we are looking at MEX/USA getting 1-2, then we are competing for 3rd with Jamaica, Honduras, Costa Rica. So I'm hoping MEX beats JAM and PAN beats CRC. The ones we are in competition with need to drop max points.

Draws all around are still better imo. Mexico and the USA have not both comfortably qualified since the 2006 quals. The more points dropped the better

4 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I'm with you, I hate watching the biggest of sporting events with other people. 

If I'm going to get worked up I don't want others to see it.  When I was a kid, I held my breath until the Leafs' Lanny MacDonald scored in OT to beat the Islanders, I damn near stopped breathing. 

I'm ok now but another funny one was an on and off girlfriend from out of province dropped by my place unannounced one Sunday.  She was totally oblivious to the fact that was Vancouver 2010 Canada vs USA hockey, the highest rated Canadian TV event since the Summit in 1972.  I knew after a few minutes of pretending to pay attention to her and watching the pregame over her shoulder I just gave up and went over and turned on the recorder.

To quote Holden Caulfield "People are always ruining things for you"  :)

That's a pretty big sacrifice for a bit of a roll in the hay, no? 😄 

As a show of how difficult we should expect to get points away, consider that since 1980, we've managed 7 wins away to our opponents in the Octo.  That includes friendlies.  7 Wins, 23 Draws, and 32 Losses.  See the breakdown below, and feel free to correct me - I just counted off the wikipedia page.

It's also telling that our last away win at one of these nations was in 1996.  This is what makes taking maximum points at home so important.  

Our record AWAY vs. the other seven teams in the Octo since 1980:

Mexico  0 W 1 D  9 L 

USA  0 W 8 D 7 L

Honduras 1 W 3 D 7 L  Last win 1985

Costa Rica 2 W 2 D 1 L Last win 1993 (other one in 1985)

Jamaica 1 W 4 D 5 L Last win in 1988

Panama 0 W 3 D 1 L 

El Salvador 3 W 2 D 2 L Last win in 1996 (other two in 1993) 

• Admin locked this topic