Montreal Area CPL Team

Chad_Impact

4 hours ago, narduch said:

I don't think the IOC would allow that. 

Would they be able to stop them? If someone was trying to use the name for a multi-sport competition of course, but for the name of a soccer team can they block the name? Are Olympique Lyonnais and Olympique Marseille OK because they got their names in before some sort of copyright came in?

3 hours ago, Kent said:

Would they be able to stop them? If someone was trying to use the name for a multi-sport competition of course, but for the name of a soccer team can they block the name? Are Olympique Lyonnais and Olympique Marseille OK because they got their names in before some sort of copyright came in?

Yes they can stop them. 

And you are correct about historical teams. They decided to not press the issue. 

But a brand new team from scratch?  No way

4 hours ago, narduch said:

Yes they can stop them. 

And you are correct about historical teams. They decided to not press the issue. 

But a brand new team from scratch?  No way

You are probably right - however if as stated above, if Olympique Lyon or Marseille were part owners like Atletico Madrid are for Ottawa, I wonder if the Olympique name becomes a possibility.  Would be a great name, great jersies too and would be a superb derby with the Impact.

Edited by A Different Perspective
typo

• 4 months later...
On 6/18/2020 at 10:23 PM, A Different Perspective said:

You are probably right - however if as stated above, if Olympique Lyon or Marseille were part owners like Atletico Madrid are for Ottawa, I wonder if the Olympique name becomes a possibility.  Would be a great name, great jersies too and would be a superb derby with the Impact.

Not that I would prefer a French League team ( but at this point I would take almost anything) Olympique LAVAL (OL) would be perfect.

1 hour ago, MtlMario said:

Not that I would prefer a French League team ( but at this point I would take almost anything) Olympique LAVAL (OL) would be perfect.

Back in the old NASL Montreal’s first NASL team that lasted for about two to three years I believe, from about 1971 to 1973 I think ,  were called the Olympique , so the names was already used before for a Montreal pro soccer team. I’m pretty sure they played at the old Autostade stadium fit over 33000 people , it was demolished in the late 1970’s .

Edited by SoccMan

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

Back in the old NASL Montreal’s first NASL team that lasted for about two to three years I believe, from about 1971 to 1973 I think ,  were called the Olympique , so the names was already used before for a Montreal pro soccer team. I’m pretty sure they played at the old Autostade stadium fit over 33000 people , it was demolished in the late 1970’s .

Yes I saw many of their games back then, they also played a season at Université de Montreal.  Graeme Souness and Clive Charles played for them.

I don't think you can use the name Olympique as it belongs to the IOC. Names and teams and businesses existing before the rights were controlled can stay with it (like a private parking garage near where I live with the Olympic rings and everything, which must be from the 50s) but new brands, basically since the late 70s, can't use it.

So here, speaking of Lyon, the question would be if they had the rights to extend use of the name to a "branch" of subsidiary, or if a new team would also be subject to these restrictions. 

On 11/3/2020 at 6:51 AM, youllneverwalkalone said:

I would think someone owns the OM name from the NASL days. Kerfoot bought the name Whitecaps from someone after be took over the 86ers. Perhaps there's a backdoor around this problem. Not sure OL would want to be associated with OM, however.

It was David Stadnyk that bought the Whitecaps name after he purchased the 86ers.

4 hours ago, Stanley said:

It was David Stadnyk that bought the Whitecaps name after he purchased the 86ers.

There are very few people I've come across that I've disliked more than David Stadnyk and his people. I can't count the number of times that I had to remind them that, as a City of Burnaby employee, I did not answer to them, nor would I comply with their ridiculous demands. I was happy when he brought back the Whitecaps' name, as much as I have such fond memories of the '86ers CSL peak years, though.

Edited by SthMelbRed

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

There are very few people I've come across that I've disliked more than David Stadnyk and his people. I can't count the number of times that I had to remind them that, as a City of Burnaby employee, I did not answer to them, nor would I comply with their ridiculous demands. I was happy when he brought back the Whitecaps' name, as much as I have such fond memories of the '86ers CSL peak years, though.

He tried to Rochester Rhinoize the Caps.  And who could forget the chant to the tune of  rule brittania:

David Stadnyk, David Stadnyk kiss my ass, we wish you'd never set foot on Swangards Grass.

4 hours ago, johnyb said:

I'm sure the Feds will pick up the tab

And duck.....

Rant Alert.

Seriously though, a bit off-topic but I don't know how the Feds aren't all over the CMT at this point.  In another topic it was raised how to improve the effectiveness of Soccer Canada and the obvious consensus was funding.   Well the Gawd Damn World Cup is coming to Canada in 2026.  It's a cameo apperance to be sure and I'd argue about how Canada sold out cheaply on that one but still, the importance of that event cannot be overstated.  

In the big scheme of things the WC Finals, the promotion of which is directly married to the MNT program over the next 6 years not just in Canada but upon the world stage, can be financed throught a multitude of related federal ministries for chump change.  Chump change which would tranform the seriousness of the MNT program into something unrecognizable to anyone here leading into that premier world wide event.   To the benefit of this entire country.

I cannot but help but be reminded of the missed opportunity Winnipeg squandered with the WWC when the city hosted the Group of Death.  I also cannot help but be reminded of the immeasurable benefit to that same city a few year later when night after night the street party surrounding MTS Centre was broadcast around THE WORLD when the Jets made their deep playoff run into the Stanley Cup finals.  That benefit happened by accident.  It was organic.  It shouldn't have been.

The Stanley Cup playoffs are not the World Cup Finals and Winnipeg is not Canada.  The World Cup Finals are something else altogether and the Government of Canada needs to recognize that opportunity here and now.  Today.

We can't steal the show but we shouldn't be afaid to try.   

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2020 at 10:21 AM, Shway said:

you saw my reddit post 😉

omfc-01.jpg.dcf56b53b1cdf4bd7a1d043016832280.jpg

It's not quite identical, but damn . . . I guess the team-formerly-know-as-the-Impact liked your idea. 

c230d8c3-5686-11eb-a88b-02fe89184577.jpg

https://www.lapresse.ca/sports/soccer/2021-01-14/l-impact-devient-le-club-de-foot-montreal.php?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Also, if anyone else is like me and prefers the existing crest, a lot of their now-obsolete merch is on sale. https://www.montrealimpactstore.ca/montreal-impact/t-25780263+os-67+z-933313-3715273288

Edited by m-g-williams