Montreal Area CPL Team

Chad_Impact

58 minutes ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

Just curious: could Bunbury buy the Impact from Saputo and move them into CPL? Seems needless to create a new club from scratch when the Impact has existed since 1991 and could be a CPL superclub.

I find you funny but seriously, you need to quit this

46 minutes ago, Keegan said:

What do people think about the viability of such a club so close to Montreal?  I suppose it’s another York 9 type situation. 

Laval Island and the "Rive-Nord" suburbs accounts for close to 1M. I'm from those suburbs and not being thrilled to transit to Montreal (except for the Habs) would be an understatement.

If Laval handles their marketing and aims it hard at Laval (Jesus Island) and the Rive Nord suburbs, they could hit jackpot.

Let's not forget that they have 3 subway stations on the Island and commuter trains which could make the trek easier for Montreal fans to get there as well.

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

Laval Island and the "Rive-Nord" suburbs accounts for close to 1M. I'm from those suburbs and not being thrilled to transit to Montreal (except for the Habs) would be an understatement.

If Laval handles their marketing and aims it hard at Laval (Jesus Island) and the Rive Nord suburbs, they could hit jackpot.

Let's not forget that they have 3 subway stations on the Island and commuter trains which could make the trek easier for Montreal fans to get there as well.

I've been wondering about whether the team would represent Laval and only go for that market, or if they'll pitch themselves as a Montreal team. I think I would prefer a team that distinctly represents Laval. 

Edited by Chad_Impact

2 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

I've been wondering about whether the team would represent Laval and only go for that market, or if they'll pitch themselves as a Montreal team. I think I would prefer a team that distinctly represents Laval. 

Passing themselves as Montreal would be bad. I think York did it right, Laval will do the same while heavily trying to draw the rest of the northern 450.

On 12/14/2018 at 4:58 PM, deschamp86 said:

Just want to say, Curtis, whoever you are, that was a skilled interview. Sometimes being low key, polite, understated, and let the person speak in a relaxed way, is the key. And he did.  You also asked the right questions. And you got a little scoop. So all credit to you and best of luck on your YT channel.

EDIT: I am not sure he is on here, but certainly he should be. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

Passing themselves as Montreal would be bad. I think York did it right, Laval will do the same while heavily trying to draw the rest of the northern 450.

I emailed Alex Bunbury yesterday and gave him the suggestion "Rapides FC".  He emailed me back to say "definitely in considering"

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Just want to say, Curtis, whoever you are, that was a skilled interview. Sometimes being low key, polite, understated, and let the person speak in a relaxed way, is the key. And he did.  You also asked the right questions. And you got a little scoop. So all credit to you and best of luck on your YT channel.

EDIT: I am not sure he is on here, but certainly he should be. 

I don’t believe he is but I tweeted him your compliment. 

So to summarize.

After Christmas we can expect an announcement from a group in Greater Montreal,  involving Bunbury and some MTL business people. 

They definitely believe there is a market for a CPL team in Montreal. 

They are planning to launch for the 2020 season. 

He also believes that Quebec should have teams both in Montreal area and Quebec City. 

He has been pleased to be involved in the open trials process and apparently will continue to work for CPL in the upcoming period. He has things on the go in Portugal and Guyana also (is that where he was originally from?). 

The salary cap has not been announced and discretion is being used in relation to it. 

The assurance of a solid 8th club for 2020 bolsters the league for now as well, as it projects an even more positive scenario for 2020.

On 12/15/2018 at 2:21 PM, Chad_Impact said:

I wouldn't put Laval in the official crest or name but instead use a non market label like has been basically used by most CPL clubs so far. I would bill them as a Greater Montreal based CPL club as highlighting Canada's D1 as being in the market is positive, just keep the clubs in the MLS markets far enough away from MLS franchises core area.

Laval seems to fit that bill, like Surrey/Langley would for a Metro Vancouver CPL Club. Highly recommended to avoid direct competition with CDN MLS clubs at this early time of CPL's existence.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/18/2018 at 7:41 PM, CDNFootballer said:

I wouldn't put Laval in the official crest or name but instead use a non market label like has been basically used by most CPL clubs so far. I would bill them as a Greater Montreal based CPL club as highlighting Canada's D1 as being in the market is positive, just keep the clubs in the MLS markets far enough away from MLS franchises core area.

Laval seems to fit that bill, like Surrey/Langley would for a Metro Vancouver CPL Club. Highly recommended to avoid direct competition with CDN MLS clubs at this early time of CPL's existence.

Actually, Laval is to Montreal what Mississauga is to Toronto.

I would on the contrary embrace Laval and target the (450 - Couronne Nord "North Suburbs). Laval and the suburbs accounts to close to 1M people together and those suburbs knows Laval. It's easy to access in comparison to going to Montreal and stade Saputo.

The subway going to Laval provides an extra advantage of making the trip to Laval easier for a lot of Montrealers living on the northern parts of the city and by both blue and orange metro lines.

However, with over 400k, Laval can reach the 6k average by themselves with proper marketing.

On 1/11/2019 at 8:48 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Sounds like they are not that far along and this is still about generating a buzz to attract investors that can afford to invest in something like this, but time will tell.

Anyone have any news about this meeting?