Montreal Area CPL Team

Chad_Impact

1 hour ago, Cblake said:

That would make far more sense than McGill. McGill is a great location but they have turf with football lines on it and do not see that changing anytime soon with both university ball and the CFL playing there. 

They could remove the lines, my understanding. They do it for the ottawa games. 

9 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Complexe sportif Claude-Robillard could be an option.

also McGill stadium. 

0EEFEADC-1850-4AC3-98AD-9C26AAB66A8A.jpeg

I have a feeling that CPL has moved on from these type of facilities. Can't say I blame them when you look at York Lions and Clarke. Claude-Robillard isn't that great for access - not that close to Cremazie metro

Seems that it's either SSS or no clubs if you see how they handled Saskatoon.

Might affect how fast they get to 16 teams but 1000% the right move and good on them to realize this sooner rather than later.

McGill would require the CPL club to pay for a new turf but ultimately, it would be worth it long term in my opinion should they be able to draw big crowds - downtown location helps a ton with that. You have the Green metro line, the mountain - just magical for TV.

Parc Jarry - Best of both world... You have the commuter train, blue and Orange metro line and enough space to build a pop up like Halifax with the potential of a modular permanent structure if it works. Easy access and a know location for sports.

Edited by Ansem

47 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Parc Jarry - Best of both world... You have the commuter train, blue and Orange metro line and enough space to build a pop up like Halifax with the potential of a modular permanent structure if it works. Easy access and a know location for sports.

1983 Inter-Montreal • Fun While It Lasted   they played one year at Jarry Park 1983

If you have issues with bilingualism maybe take it up on a politics board rather than a soccer one? Given how many of the words in those tweets have the same meaning in both languages and how many are extremely basic French vocabulary it's hard to believe you can't figure out the gist of it.

Only a matter of time until this is used as evidence that expansion to Blainville is just around the corner:

Presumably he receives expenses for this at a minimum so it does suggest a charm offensive is underway at the very least.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Except that doesn't appear to be what the league has told the would be investors in the Montreal area that they can do if Antony D. Casimiro is to believed. Must have their own 6000+ seater stadium with no U-sports overlap in a Saskatoon sort of way. If that's accurate I would take what the podcaster is saying with a very large pinch of salt as he is probably just fishing for clicks. If anything has been learned from the last three years maybe it has been that having the right sort of stadium in a sensible location is critical to future success.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

22 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

If anything has been learned from the last three years maybe it has maybe been that having the right sort of stadium in a sensible location is critical to future success.

Confirming what we have been telling anyone who will listen for the past 20+ years. LOL

If the official policy is to demand non-university stadiums, I think we're shooting ourselves in the foot here. If anything, they should be working with universities to upgrade facilities for everyone. You have to be very rich, very patient, and frankly quite savvy and connected to get a private stadium built in Canada. It would seem much simpler to approach the city/university and say here's a donation to relocate your running track and to replace your turf with a hybrid system. Not to say these upgrades are not expensive, but nowhere near the costs of building new.

I don't think we can just go and compare ourselves to Poland or whatever country. We have immense red tape here and probably with good reason in many cases. Universities, however, are often immune from much of this. Look no further than the Caps training facility, IG field, and I'm guessing whatever stadium ultimately replaces McMahon in Calgary.

20 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

If the official policy is to demand non-university stadiums, I think we're shooting ourselves in the foot here. If anything, they should be working with universities to upgrade facilities for everyone.

If the University is located downtown then I agree. However a lot of Universities are poorly located. Here in BC both UVic (Centennial Stadium) and UBC (Thunderbird) are poorly located to serve the general population and have been terrible venues for teams playing there despite having great facilities including plentiful parking and what should be good transit links. 

^100%. But even then, you might not want to exclude them completely. Like if Centennial removed the track and built up the seating you could have a great facility both for the Vikes and maybe D2 Highlanders.

The league should be consistent. If you see USports as part of your pyramid/development structure then I would partner with them as much as possible.

1 hour ago, ted said:

If the University is located downtown then I agree. However a lot of Universities are poorly located. Here in BC both UVic (Centennial Stadium) and UBC (Thunderbird) are poorly located to serve the general population and have been terrible venues for teams playing there despite having great facilities including plentiful parking and what should be good transit links. 

Do you know if there attendance records for Highlanders games anywhere? I went to a couple games at Bear Mountain (Starlight now), quite a few at RAP, and maybe one at Centennial. I'd guess both Bear Mountain and RAP outdrew Centennial, but I'm curious if others had different experiences. I suppose they were in different competitions in different years too though

I've said it before a Mtl island based team would be setting itself up for failure. It would be seen as the little brother semi-pro team to the Impact (FC Mtl). An off island team (Laval) would be seen more of a competitor (rival) Laval vs Mtl thing. And the Canadian angle doesn't work here in Quebec unfortunately.

Edited by MtlMario

30 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

I've said it before a Mtl island based would be setting itself up for failure. It would be seen as the little brother semi-pro team to the Impact (FC Mtl). An off island team (Laval) would be seen more of competitor (rival) Laval vs Mtl thing. And the Canadian angle doesn't work here in Quebec unfortunately.

Laval can work - as long as it's done right and center themselves as "Laval" not Montreal or North whatever - Just Laval. Then they should try to attract the northern suburbs - you're talking close to a million people excluding Montreal Island and even then, some will take the subway to check it out.

Edited by Ansem

14 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

If you have issues with bilingualism maybe take it up on a politics board rather than a soccer one?

Asking what the post in another language which I and some don't speak on here says is simply that.

If you want to pretend or assume the post means something else then ramble on like usual.

On 8/20/2021 at 11:14 AM, Aird25 said:

Do you know if there attendance records for Highlanders games anywhere? I went to a couple games at Bear Mountain (Starlight now), quite a few at RAP, and maybe one at Centennial. I'd guess both Bear Mountain and RAP outdrew Centennial, but I'm curious if others had different experiences. I suppose they were in different competitions in different years too though

Sorry I don't know the actual numbers. I had season tickets for the Highlanders from the opening game and missed maybe 4 games in total over the decade they existed (the current incarnation is a sham IMO). The end of the road at Centennial was a significant drop in attendance from RAP which itself was a drop from the first couple of years at Bear Mountain/Westhills (now Starlight). The attendances dropped as the venue changed but you are right, that coincided with perceived and actual drops in the level of competition along the way.