Montreal Area CPL Team

Chad_Impact

• 3 months later...

From the last interview I heard the commish I do not expect a Mtl area team in the next couple of years (at least). Stadium was the major reason. You see 100's of million dollar stadiums built everywhere and we can't build a 6 k stadium. Where the F$$k are the millionaires in this city? Very disappointing. There I had to say something to let it out. Fu^king covid surely doesn't help (anything).

2 hours ago, MtlMario said:

From the last interview I heard the commish I do not expect a Mtl area team in the next couple of years (at least). Stadium was the major reason. You see 100's of million dollar stadiums built everywhere and we can't build a 6 k stadium. Where the F$$k are the millionaires in this city? Very disappointing. There I had to say something to let it out. Fu^king covid surely doesn't help (anything).

Aren’t a lot of stadiums also government funded?

I think it's more about the "type" of owners they want for Montreal that is the problem. We've always here there were groups here and there but I think the league is smart enough to know that to be viable and attractive in Montreal, you need a robust & right ownership.

A French giant on the Island would be an instant draw among the French (from France) large expat population.

Quebec Soccer magazine had reported that the CPL was talking to FFF to lure investment in the league.

Pardon this sentence... you don't want a "York 9 - 2.0". That's an instant fail on the Island and the league prefers the Island over Laval

14 hours ago, brianjc said:

What if the Montreal CPL club were fan owned??  Like the Green Bay Packers.

Or if there was a supporters trust?? Like the Seattle Sounders.

It's a lovely fantasy but neither of those examples are useful. The NFL is a collective with all teams equally sharing  the BILLIONS of dollars of TV revenue equally,  and the Sounders "supporters trust" is a PR exercise with no real power or meaningful financial investment in the team.

21 minutes ago, Kent said:

Yeah, are there any examples of a group of supporters for a team that doesn't exist yet to front the money to build a stadium to then get a team for them to support?

Yep we did in Sask. Unfortunately after the collection we only came up with $27.35, some lint (here's hoping that's what it was) a solitary tic tac and a free years subscription to farmers weekly which expired in 1977.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Somebody is asking one of the obvious questions on why Quebec expansion hasn't happened yet:

Problem with this analysis is that I don't think it's clear that CanPL actually would accept this again in other markets or would accept another York Lions type scenario.

Where is it and who plays there now?

9 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Somebody is asking one of the obvious questions on why Quebec expansion hasn't happened yet:

Problem with this analysis is that I don't think it's clear that CanPL actually would accept this again in other markets or would accept another York Lions type scenario.

I'm pretty sure this is exactly how they'll do it in Langley. Maybe 1 side permanent seating but likely not at first 

Edited by SpursFlu

38 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm pretty sure this is exactly how they'll do it in Langley. Maybe 1 side permanent seating but likely not at first 

Have they not being talking about something modular similar to Langford? The key difference from Halifax is that the Langley location is a 3G sports field rather than a public park.

On 5/1/2022 at 1:05 PM, SpursFlu said:

I'm pretty sure that Empire Field modular stadium will be the blueprint for Langley. That should be the way to go going forward

Edited by Ansem

On 5/1/2022 at 7:49 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Have they not being talking about something modular similar to Langford? The key difference from Halifax is that the Langley location is a 3G sports field rather than a public park.

They have specifically said they'll go with the same company that did their laminated wooden structures over the stands at Langford, which were prefabricated. They are designed by BEAR Stadiums out of Italy and manufactured and distributed by Austrian Rubner Holzbau.

https://www.bearstadiums.com/en

https://www.rubner.com/en/holzbau/

If they make a few improvements the results could be nicer than Langford, where there are some serious design errors.

33 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They have specifically said they'll go with the same company that did their laminated wooden structures over the stands at Langford, which were prefabricated. They are designed by BEAR Stadiums out of Italy and manufactured and distributed by Austrian Rubner Holzbau.

https://www.bearstadiums.com/en

https://www.rubner.com/en/holzbau/

If they make a few improvements the results could be nicer than Langford, where there are some serious design errors.

That's pretty cool.. thanks for sharing. So Starlight main stands we're built by these guys? Really has the look and feel of a permanent structure 

On 5/6/2022 at 3:24 PM, SpursFlu said:

That's pretty cool.. thanks for sharing. So Starlight main stands we're built by these guys? Really has the look and feel of a permanent structure 

No, the main stand was built long before the CanPL came along. The Italians designed and built the extensions at eother end of the main stand and the entire East stand which is, IMO, the most beautiful stand in Canada. If only we could have that at the other end and along the North side -once they move the Hydro Pole. ;)