Montreal Area CPL Team

Chad_Impact

9 hours ago, ted said:

No, the main stand was built long before the CanPL came along. The Italians designed and built the extensions at eother end of the main stand and the entire East stand which is, IMO, the most beautiful stand in Canada. If only we could have that at the other end and along the North side -once they move the Hydro Pole. ;)

Ok thanks. It does look great. And just for more clarity... is that a permanent stand?

9 hours ago, ted said:

No, the main stand was built long before the CanPL came along. The Italians designed and built the extensions at eother end of the main stand and the entire East stand which is, IMO, the most beautiful stand in Canada. If only we could have that at the other end and along the North side -once they move the Hydro Pole. ;)

I really don’t understand why they’re going with a different design for the new stands. It’s going to look silly with three different styles 

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

I really don’t understand why they’re going with a different design for the new stands. It’s going to look silly with three different styles 

Did you hear they weren't? I just assumed that if Friend announced they were going to use that same company, Bear Stadiums, for Langley, they were still happy with them. Unless Langford has another criteria that does not match what the owners of the club are thinking.

That East stand that Ted loves so much, it is just okay. You can't just look at a stand, you have to deal with details and do the details right. It is quite set back from goal, too much so (could be a rugby consideration). They let people wander in front of it during games which is cheap and tinsel, added to the fact that the lowest seat is too low (same on the main stand, you have to have the first row a metre or two higher than the pitch. It has no side protection as a classic English stand on an end would, which is very rudimentary. Then there is the error of having fans walk up the centre of the stand instead of putting stairs on the sides or two sets on either side--a stand with stairs down the middle always looks worse, the best seats are taken by a stairway.

Friend and co are not designers or architects, and Langford has an atrocious planning reputation, so between the two there is no one there to correct basic errors.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Did you hear they weren't? I just assumed that if Friend announced they were going to use that same company, Bear Stadiums, for Langley, they were still happy with them. Unless Langford has another criteria that does not match what the owners of the club are thinking.

That East stand that Ted loves so much, it is just okay. You can't just look at a stand, you have to deal with details and do the details right. It is quite set back from goal, too much so (could be a rugby consideration). They let people wander in front of it during games which is cheap and tinsel, added to the fact that the lowest seat is too low (same on the main stand, you have to have the first row a metre or two higher than the pitch. It has no side protection as a classic English stand on an end would, which is very rudimentary. Then there is the error of having fans walk up the centre of the stand instead of putting stairs on the sides or two sets on either side--a stand with stairs down the middle always looks worse, the best seats are taken by a stairway.

Friend and co are not designers or architects, and Langford has an atrocious planning reputation, so between the two there is no one there to correct basic errors.

Talk about hyperbole. It would be a lovely little stadium if fully completed with that design, but I thought they were going with the Fort Mac company that built Cavalry’s stand. I’m shaky on the details though 

Edited by Aird25

• 1 year later...
11 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

I'm starting to lose hope and I'm generally a positive guy. Where's Alex and a new announcement date?☹️

Yup.

The only 2 expansion teams have been:

-a major club buying into the league (Atletico Madrid)

And

-one owner buying a second team.

The league desperately needs an expansion win.

At the very least get the league up to 10 teams.

4 hours ago, MtlMario said:

I'm starting to lose hope and I'm generally a positive guy. Where's Alex and a new announcement date?☹️

I assume you have seen this, but I don't think it was posted here. 60 days from March 4th has more than passed, but in classic Bunbury fashion, I haven't seen any news.

image.thumb.jpeg.886ced555139c9c77c2d0843b7cb9dd7.jpeg

Is there any reason why Sports Complex of Claude-Robillard can't be used? (Crude diagram above)

I think all they would have to do is put a small amount of temporary seating along the North side of pitch (could fit it nicely on top of the Long Jump track as above) Sell general allocation cheap/support section tickets and it could make a great venue and game day atmosphere, while helping with the TV coverage. Can still sell 1000s of expensive tickets in the main grandstand under cover and with great amenities and toilet options. Would need to sell about ~5000 tickets a game to make the temporary stand and main grandstand look full, and there is scope for playoff matches to sell up to ~8,000 tickets using the existing northside seating, beyond the running track which you would close for regular season games.

Another angle with the running track not obstructed with my rubbish example.

image.jpeg.d43cdaa8185826837297e732db3ac701.jpeg

Edited by Sonny Heung-min

3 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Always seemed like the obvious solution but maybe CF Montreal have some kind of exclusivity clause agreed with the City of Montreal going back to their USL days that makes it off limits?

I would guess it is less likely that and more likely that it has a high cost and doesn't currently have sufficient flexibility with dates to accommodate a CPL team straight out the gate, however all these things can be fixed with negotiation and willingness. Just need a serious ownership group to step up.

On 6/16/2023 at 12:45 PM, Sonny Heung-min said:

I assume you have seen this, but I don't think it was posted here. 60 days from March 4th has more than passed, but in classic Bunbury fashion, I haven't seen any news.

image.thumb.jpeg.886ced555139c9c77c2d0843b7cb9dd7.jpeg

Is there any reason why Sports Complex of Claude-Robillard can't be used? (Crude diagram above)

I think all they would have to do is put a small amount of temporary seating along the North side of pitch (could fit it nicely on top of the Long Jump track as above) Sell general allocation cheap/support section tickets and it could make a great venue and game day atmosphere, while helping with the TV coverage. Can still sell 1000s of expensive tickets in the main grandstand under cover and with great amenities and toilet options. Would need to sell about ~5000 tickets a game to make the temporary stand and main grandstand look full, and there is scope for playoff matches to sell up to ~8,000 tickets using the existing northside seating, beyond the running track which you would close for regular season games.

Another angle with the running track not obstructed with my rubbish example.

image.jpeg.d43cdaa8185826837297e732db3ac701.jpeg

Not a chance they use that location for a club

8 hours ago, Sonny Heung-min said:

Why?

The stadium isn't really that great nor on par with what the league seems to be looking for and that's where Impact used to play - a new club needs to differentiate itself as much as possible. To be honest, if you are to seriously put a club on the same island as CF Montreal, the facility needs to facilitate a much better game day atmosphere than you would get at Claude-Robillard.

Also, not close to transit and there's nothing around there - you're recreating York Lions Stadium 2.0 but with worst transit

image.thumb.png.1f9619084b2f2dc74c0192dcbc4c17a8.png

Parc Jarry however would be a superior choice

image.png.69b1d77cc3210f1cf447699f8d1ee702.png

You already have the precedent of having Stade Uniprix for the Tennis tournament on site and (in red) you could repurposed the soccer pitches to build a proper stadium - ideally like Starlight in Langford.

Rogers Cup Semifinal 2009 - 3.jpg

(in blue) That's Little Italy and St-Laurent boulevard - so you have bars, restaurants and entertainment nearby - something that's been hurting CF Montreal at Stade Saputo

Montreal's annual Italian Week spices up Little Italy this August | Dished

(Pale blue) It's a superior location for transit.

• Jean-Talon is the interchange between the orange (Laval to downtown) and blue line (NDG to St-Michel, eventually Anjou via Montreal University campus, Outremont, Parc-Ex)
  • Jarry is the orange station nearby
  • De Castelneau is on the blue line with buses serving Clark & St-Laurent Blvd on the edge of the park
  • Parc Subway station is on the blue line, steps from the park
  • Parc train station connects St-Jerome (north of Laval) to downtown Montreal via Laval

image.png.2bae2298064ae7fe99b1d8a083926b74.png

The entire area is very densely populated and multicultural. You got easy access and a transit network making trips from and to other densely populated neighborhood very easy.

At a good price and with things to do around (a massive weakness of Stade Saputo) - Parc Jarry could be a winner

A CPL Montreal club needs to prioritize this location at all cost. Anything less than a Starlight Stadium type of venue will struggle in my opinion

Edited by Ansem

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...