Montreal Area CPL Team

Chad_Impact

On 1/11/2019 at 9:10 AM, Ansem said:

Actually, Laval is to Montreal what Mississauga is to Toronto.

I would on the contrary embrace Laval and target the (450 - Couronne Nord "North Suburbs). Laval and the suburbs accounts to close to 1M people together and those suburbs knows Laval. It's easy to access in comparison to going to Montreal and stade Saputo.

The subway going to Laval provides an extra advantage of making the trip to Laval easier for a lot of Montrealers living on the northern parts of the city and by both blue and orange metro lines.

However, with over 400k, Laval can reach the 6k average by themselves with proper marketing.

Agreed about  the comment with the métro stops making it easier for people wanting to commute. the Rive-nord is loaded with people, and is currently expanding economically. Now is the time. Not sure if people in Terrebonne, which is 100k on its own is going to feel attached to Laval, or Saint-Jérôme either, which is in Laurentides, but Saint-Eustache and Boisbriand, absolutely. That's a catchbasin of around 750k, all with a growing economy. 

God, this would be awesome. I think I'd still prefer Québec over Laval, but I'll take what I can get. 

7 hours ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Agreed about  the comment with the métro stops making it easier for people wanting to commute. the Rive-nord is loaded with people, and is currently expanding economically. Now is the time. Not sure if people in Terrebonne, which is 100k on its own is going to feel attached to Laval, or Saint-Jérôme either, which is in Laurentides, but Saint-Eustache and Boisbriand, absolutely. That's a catchbasin of around 750k, all with a growing economy. 

God, this would be awesome. I think I'd still prefer Québec over Laval, but I'll take what I can get. 

Quebec city will get its team soon enough

11 minutes ago, matty said:

Nah it'll be Quebec City FC or (random single word with a link to the city) FC

I'll be supremely disappointed if this is the case. I'll still go whenever I visit for business, and will buy a jersey, but will only wear it on weekends when I am at home. 

Unless it looks dope en tabernak and has their awesome city crest on the front. In which case, it's officially work attire. 

41 minutes ago, Initial B said:

FC Citadelle

Shouldn't be anything else. 

It will be Quebec.

Smartest way to try and rally the province behind the team. Half the province lives outside the Montreal Metro area and I expect a big following with the metro area for that team... of course if marketing is done right.

5 minutes ago, Ansem said:

It will be Quebec.

Smartest way to try and rally the province behind the team. Half the province lives outside the Montreal Metro area and I expect a big following with the metro area for that team... of course if marketing is done right.

Look at the other team names though. No mention of Hamilton, Winnipeg, Calgary, Victoria (or Vancouver Island), and only just an allusion to Halifax. If the trend continues that will probably avoid the city/province name in the club name.

It may not have Québec, but it will mot likely have a location which is still important for fans. Cavalry and Forge will be the only clubs in the Canadian Championship this year without a location in their club name. So the trend is very much to name a club after a city or area. There's every chance we see that with the new club in Québec

50 minutes ago, Kent said:

Look at the other team names though. No mention of Hamilton, Winnipeg, Calgary, Victoria (or Vancouver Island), and only just an allusion to Halifax. If the trend continues that will probably avoid the city/province name in the club name.

The word "Quebec" is too big of significance to pass on. An investor group would have to be insane not to claim the name. Every Quebecers have deep attachment and relate to the name Quebec.

I would drop "City" and call the club Quebec FC.

Imagine the potential...

Quebec vs Montreal - Canadian Championship 

Quebec vs Lava

Quebec vs any Ontario club

Quebec vs Alberta clubs.

I'm usually in favor for clubs to invest heavily locally in terms of marketing but "Quebec" could legit go after the whole province outside of the National Capital Region and Montreal Metropolitain.

Despite Montreal Canadiens who were nearly a century old with such a storied history, the Quebec Nordiques were ridiculously popular in the province. They even got cheers at the Montreal Forum while the Canadiens were being booed at the Colisee.

Have to be Quebec

I can certainly understand Québec for marketing purposes, but I do like « Citadelle » and can also see the logic in having something of a more local reference/nickname. Maybe « Forteresse »,  « Château »,  or even « Kébec » ? The first two would lend themselves well to making the stade un vrai château fort,  and the last would be a nice nod to the original name of the settlement/the Latinized spelling of the Algonquin term.

I also like « Capitale » as it works well with the nickname of « La Vielle Capitale » . . . though I guess that would make the club members/partisans des « Capitalistes ». :P

Also, thoughts on the abbreviated appellation for the teams in Québec? I'd personally like to see AS (Association sportive) comme AS Monaco pis AS Saint-Étienne dans Ligue 1, but I imagine SC or FC will win out.

6 minutes ago, shamrock said:

But the whole point of a team in Quebec is having it...in Quebec, no? Quebec City Fc it is then! The province can still rally behind it, no problem. 

You also have to remember that in French, we don't say "Ville de Quebec" like anglophone say Quebec City. It's just Quebec for both the province and the city. 

That's the genius of claiming the name. Worked very well for the Nordiques. Everyone knew it was in Quebec City, but most simply identify to it. To be fair, the Nordiques did a much better job on the marketing to gain support in the rest of the province than the Habs ever did. 

Quebec could replicate that as the Montreal Impact aren't even doing a decent job in their immediate Metro area, let alone the rest of the province.

It starts with a Quebecers & Francophone heavy roster and front office and developing the next Jackson-Hamel or Patrice Bernier or Crepeau

Edited by Ansem

my joke about team names has spiralled out of control...also it'll be quebec city fc and it'll purpose market itself as a spin off of man city. however it won't be official and they'll get sued resulting in the team wearing really bland all white kits that just say quebec city and have a number on the back

Edited by matty

Just now, matty said:

my joke about team names has spiralled out of control...also it'll be quebec city fc and it'll purpose market itself as a spin off of man city

Quebec City FC is an anglophone name.

If they went that route it would be Quebec or AS Quebec or "insert name here" de Quebec

Naming it Quebec would be an awful move imo. We are talking about having 3+ teams in the province - it would be ill advised to let the first team take the province name and I don’t care if that’s what locals call the city.. still a bad idea.  

We want lasting rivalries that are ingrained in culture.  I want at least one of the Quebec teams to be hyper French - like a Quebec version of PFC.  I want an Ottawa v Gatineau rivalry .. the potential is massive.  

Not sure what to make of Alex Bunbury being the figure pushing Quebec expansion in general in media terms. I suspect it probably has more to do with the connections he made playing for the Hamilton Steelers than his time with the Supra given very few people beyond older hardcore fans probably even remember him as a CMNT player sadly. Somebody like Patrice Bernier might have been better for the Rob Friend sort of role in Montreal.

35 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Not sure what to make of Alex Bunbury being the figure pushing Quebec expansion in general in media terms. I suspect it probably has more to do with the connections he made playing for the Hamilton Steelers than his time with the Supra given very few people beyond older hardcore fans probably even remember him as a CMNT player sadly. Somebody like Patrice Bernier might have been better for the Rob Friend sort of role in Montreal.

Wow...and now you've insulted Alex Bunbury too...do you have any limits douchebag?