Gold Cup 2019

Didn't Ricketts go off injured the first 10 mins of his last game? Update?

There is an injury question mark currently around Adekugbe(knee), Henry(hamstring), Edgar(hammy), Ricketts (?). 

I think and hope we see both Cordova & Godinho.  Based on " the current form and playing time argument" (60 mins as a LM in March), it's hard to justify picking Godinho over Cordova. I do hope both make the 23. 

I have Millar over Tabla. 

I have Akindele over Ricketts.

The way tourney is structure, I believe 18+ of our 23 players will all deservingly see the field. I believe it will be an even bigger coming out party for MAK and CAV this tourny.... and the likes of ZBG, David, Millar might really turn some more heads by the end of the tourney.

Edited by apbsmith

I'm hoping Henry is healthy and he can have a "coming out".  MAK is getting so much love from MLS (reminds me of Larin a few years ago) I think he is already out.  If David, Miller or Tabla can pot one against Mexico etc under the big lights it could be a big boost for them.  

48 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I'm hoping Henry is healthy and he can have a "coming out".  MAK is getting so much love from MLS (reminds me of Larin a few years ago) I think he is already out.  If David, Miller or Tabla can pot one against Mexico etc under the big lights it could be a big boost for them.  

I agree, the hype is quite similar right?

What I love about MAK is his ability to glide across the field. He is very athletic and covers a ton of ground. I am relieved to see that his ankle injury hasn't robbed him of that.

Kaye definitely has play making instincts as well, so combine that with his athleticism and you have a very useful player.

As for leaving LAFC, I hope he first wins some silverware. He won't be in a rush to leave. This is the perfect environment for him at the moment.

Year 3 for Larin felt like the right time for a new challenge. He continued scoring but Orlando continued struggling and it never felt like Larin would grow further in that environment. His problems off the field provided a different sort of push out the door, but even without that his time was up in Florida.

Kaye is not in that situation. He keeps getting better. LA keeps getting better. I don't see how Kaye leaves this situation. When (I should say if) LAFC have won multiple trophies and proved they were the best over an extended period, perhaps then we'll see him embark on a new challenge. Perhaps then the timing will feel right. I don't think Kaye is out of LA quite yet, there is still work to be done.

35 minutes ago, hodgkiss said:

I don't believe that Hainault should be anywhere near this team. He does not have the pace or ability to defend well against any calibre opponents. He practically will lose any race - I have seen it consistently year over year.

I really would be surprised if Hainault was selected. Honestly. I think some are just pegging him for the "Edgar" role, but what if there is no such role this time around? I don't think they'll be an Edgar role for the Gold Cup,  but if there was, Edgar would probably be the one to fill it, right?

I get it, Liga 3 in Germany is better than whatever division Edgar plays in (5th English division, I think). 

Ask yourself, if Herdman was going to use Hainault in that "experienced defender" role, wouldn't he have gone with him at the very beginning? Edgar wasn't even attached to a club when he started to get called by Herman right?

To justify Hainault over Edgar at this point, just based on club level, is kinda silly. Hartpool is a low level, but do you know what is a lower level? Unattached FC!

Hainault wasn't called over Edgar then and I don't believe he will now, hamstring injury not withstanding. 

I do think we'll see Miller as the fourth and final CB. Although, if Henry is out for the GC, I do think that one of Edgar, Hainault or Straith is in serious contention for a call.

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Kaye is not in that situation. He keeps getting better. LA keeps getting better. I don't see how Kaye leaves this situation. When (I should say if) LAFC have won multiple trophies and proved they were the best over an extended period, perhaps then we'll see him embark on a new challenge. Perhaps then the timing will feel right. I don't think Kaye is out of LA quite yet, there is still work to be done.

I meant a coming out sort of tourny (which he has already had, he is out of the bag already), not for him to get out of LAFC.  With 20/20 hindsight Larin prob should have stayed in MLS, and I dont think its bad if MAK stays and is part of a winning team in LA for many years.  Let him get on a few all-star/best 11 teams (like Dero or Onstad).  I dont think its bad for Cav to stay with a decent mexican club and keep potting a dozen or so a year.    Sometimes we get all caught up on guys moving on just as soon as they find a coach/roster/situation that allows them to really show off what they can do.  

As for Hainault, he has played recently and more than Edgar, thats why I would take him over other older guys brought in as a 4th CB.  If they are even going to go that route, I would also rather see a younger guy (Miller) get a shot.  

Larin was stagnating in Orlando in season 3. Perhaps if he was at a top MLS team he could have continued to develop. Besiktas may have been the wrong team but the timing was right for him to move. MAK only played 1/2 season last year and will have 1.5 MLS seasons under his belt after this year. Most importantly, he appears to have taken his game up a notch this year and Bob Bradley feels there is much more to come. So as long as he is progressing....now if an offer comes in from a big club or top league would he turn it down? 

Edited by Kadenge

21 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

my 23 man squad

GOALKEEPERS

BORJAN 

CREPEAU

Leutwiller

DEFENDER

Adekugbe

Straith 

Hainualt 

James 

Henry(if injured, Cornelius)

Godinho

ZBG

MIDFIELDERS

Arfield

Hutchison 

Kaye

Ossorio

Teibert 

Wotherspoon*

WINGERS

Davies

Hoillett

Millar

Akindele

FORWARDS

David 

Cavallini 

Larin

Ricketts*

I’m not sure which one of Ricketts or Wotherspoon I would take so I have them both here. I rate Wotherspoon heavily even though he has played on and off, while Ricketts experience could be very useful.

Surely neither of Ricketts/Wotherspoon should be going over Piette???

I can understand the argument for Kamal Miller over David Edgar (although even Miller only has like two starts this season and they were early on), however I don't think Hainault would be called before him. Before his injury, David Edgar was arguably our first choice CB (and has since been called with Herdman) while Hainault hasn't been around the team in years. if we're filling a leadership role at the back, it is surely going to be Edgar. 

1 hour ago, Pottsy3 said:

I can understand the argument for Kamal Miller over David Edgar (although even Miller only has like two starts this season and they were early on), however I don't think Hainault would be called before him. Before his injury, David Edgar was arguably our first choice CB (and has since been called with Herdman) while Hainault hasn't been around the team in years. if we're filling a leadership role at the back, it is surely going to be Edgar. 

May not change your opinion much but Miller has 4 starts.  After he started the season with 2 straight starts, hes only played in 2 since then unfortunately.  I would prefer to see him over some of the older other center backs being mentioned.

On 5/29/2019 at 9:39 AM, apbsmith said:

The way tourney is structure, I believe 18+ of our 23 players will all deservingly see the field. I believe it will be an even bigger coming out party for MAK and CAV this tourny.... and the likes of ZBG, David, Millar might really turn some more heads by the end of the tourney.

Oh trust me, David is already turning heads where it matters. But yes, I am looking forward to seeing him formally introduce himself in rude fashion to CONCACAF :)

18 hours ago, Yoginess said:

If MAK and Davies can be better contributers to our national team than Tyler Adams and Pulisic, I would be so happy. I know that's asking a lot.

Honestly, I'd love to see MAK in the Bundesliga, I feel like he would be a good fit for the style of soccer.

Only person I’m unhappy not to see there is Manjrekar James. How did he not make the 23?

Was it Shamrock that mentioned Okello at CB? I feel like that could be a possibility, only called up 3 and I don’t see how Okello gets time in our midfield.

Also Kaye is definitely playing LB with Morgan being the only LB in the squad

Edited by Fullback

42 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Honestly, I'd love to see MAK in the Bundesliga, I feel like he would be a good fit for the style of soccer.

I’d like to see MAK, David, and Davies all in the bundesliga haha. That would be awesome. Screw it send Cavallini over there too. 

GK- Milan Borjan | SRB / FK Crvena zvezda (Red Star Belgrade)
GK- Maxime Crépeau | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
GK- Jayson Leutwiler | ENG / Blackburn Rovers
CB- Derek Cornelius | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
CB- Doneil Henry | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
CB- Kamal Miller | USA / Orlando City SC
FB- Zachary Brault-Guillard | CAN / Impact de Montréal
FB- Marcus Godinho | SCO / Heart of Midlothian FC
FB- Ashtone Morgan | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Scott Arfield | SCO / Glasgow Rangers FC
M- Atiba Hutchinson | TUR / Beşiktaş JK
M- Will Johnson | USA / Orlando City SC
M- Mark-Anthony Kaye | USA / Los Angeles FC
M- Noble Okello | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Jonathan Osorio | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Samuel Piette | CAN / Impact de Montréal
M- Russell Teibert | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
F- Lucas Cavallini | MEX / Puebla FC
F- Jonathan David | BEL / KAA Gent
F- Cyle Larin | TUR / Beşiktaş JK
W- Alphonso Davies | GER / FC Bayern München
W- David Junior Hoilett | WAL / Cardiff City FC
W- Liam Millar | ENG / Liverpool FC U-23

Overall I think it is a strong roster for us, much better then most of the past rosters I remember

I think the keepers were done perfectly. Thomas could have been the third as well, but Leutwiler has played a little more. 

I am worried about being thin at the back. Jakovic and Edgar were probably easy choices to leave out. But one of Adukugbe, Straith, or Hainault over Morgan would be preferable, and honestly I would prefer one more and Okello dropped.

Herdman must really like him, because there is no way he should play, I guess he is there for development.

Wotherspoon over Johnson or Okello would also be preferred. However, I guess Johnson can offer some help at the back as well. 

Happy with the selections up front, glad to see no Ricketts. 

Miller over James seems a bit curious, no? Has Herdman really seen enough of Miller to make this selection? Does he not rate James? I am not 100% sold on James, to be honest, but it is hard to see how he does not have the edge, at the moment, over Miller.

This is a very strong line-up, for sure.  Not entirely convinced everyone on the list is in top form at the moment, but there is a core of 15 or so players who are in solid form and will give us a good showing. 

Mark my words: Hutch will play at CB for at least one game this tournie.