Gold Cup 2019

Hutch playing CB.. I say see how MDS has deployed the Caps recently with "5 at the back" with Andy Rose dropping to CB. I can see Canada doing similar with Davies being the Ali Adnan bombing up the wing whenever he likes. So you defend with 5, you attack with 3

------Hoilett.----------------Cavalini------

-------------------David-------------------

-----Arfield.----------------------Kaye-----

----------------Hutchinson----------------

Davies-------Miller-------Henry------ZBG    

-------------------Borjan------------------

James must be injured?  Adekugbe as well?  Absolutely anticipate MAK at left back now.  Very disappointed that Cordova was not selected again.  Godinho plays a couple games in 2019 and makes the squad.

Shocked to see Morgan there and I'm assuming that Okello is the 20th man on the roster outside of goalies and likely there for exposure to the program.  Tabla worked his way off of this roster unfortunately.

I would prefer to see IN: James, Adekugbe, Cordova & Tabla OUT: Okello, Johnson, Godinho & Morgan

However, I am okay with Godinho over Tabla given Tabla lack of minutes and the need for defenders in comparison to depth in midfield.

2 minutes ago, Corazon said:

James must be injured?  Adekugbe as well?  Absolutely anticipate MAK at left back now.  Very disappointed that Cordova was not selected again.  Godinho plays a couple games in 2019 and makes the squad.

Shocked to see Morgan there and I'm assuming that Okello is the 20th man on the roster outside of goalies and likely there for exposure to the program.  Tabla worked his way off of this roster unfortunately.

I would prefer to see IN: James, Adekugbe, Cordova & Tabla OUT: Okello, Johnson, Godinho & Morgan

However, I am okay with Godinho over Tabla given Tabla lack of minutes and the need for defenders in comparison to depth in midfield.

QFT. 

Defense looks shaky. I agree in those 3 changes you mentioned. 

Whose partnering Henry at CB? Is Henry even fit? 

55 minutes ago, Alex said:

GK- Milan Borjan | SRB / FK Crvena zvezda (Red Star Belgrade)
GK- Maxime Crépeau | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
GK- Jayson Leutwiler | ENG / Blackburn Rovers
CB- Derek Cornelius | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
CB- Doneil Henry | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
CB- Kamal Miller | USA / Orlando City SC
FB- Zachary Brault-Guillard | CAN / Impact de Montréal
FB- Marcus Godinho | SCO / Heart of Midlothian FC
FB- Ashtone Morgan | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Scott Arfield | SCO / Glasgow Rangers FC
M- Atiba Hutchinson | TUR / Beşiktaş JK
M- Will Johnson | USA / Orlando City SC
M- Mark-Anthony Kaye | USA / Los Angeles FC
M- Noble Okello | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Jonathan Osorio | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Samuel Piette | CAN / Impact de Montréal
M- Russell Teibert | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
F- Lucas Cavallini | MEX / Puebla FC
F- Jonathan David | BEL / KAA Gent
F- Cyle Larin | TUR / Beşiktaş JK
W- Alphonso Davies | GER / FC Bayern München
W- David Junior Hoilett | WAL / Cardiff City FC
W- Liam Millar | ENG / Liverpool FC U-23

Notable Omissions:

Sam Adekugbe

Manjrekar James

Juan Cordova

David Wotherspoon

Ballou Tabla 

Tesho Akindele

Tosaint Ricketts

If henry cant play straith will be called on. 

Im guessing the lineup will be

Zgb-henry-Cornelius-kaye

------Arfield-hutch

Davies-david-hoilet

-------------Cav

If henry cant start hutch will drop to cb and piette starts at cdm. 

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

Same. 

What i don't get is how Okello has leap frogged Fraser, when Fraser seems higher up on the depth chart for their club team. 

Thats the exact reason he did get called up. 

TFC won't be using Okello in the next two months, but they will be using Fraser. If Fraser was called up he'd sit on the bench for Canada when he could have been playing for TFC. 

Edited by king1010

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

Honest Question:

If we don't make it to the quarter finals, does Herdman deserve the sack? 

Its obviously early talks, but now a real concern of mine, based on some of these selections. 

Yes. 

9 minutes ago, Shway said:

Honest Question:

Its obviously early talks, but now a real concern of mine, based on some of these selections. 

Honest question:

If we do make the quarter finals, can we get a moratorium on posts asking when we sack Herdman?

8 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Because tfc needs him way more than canada does. 

That may be the reason, but from the CMNT perspective it isn't acceptable.  It is one thing to not call players up for friendlies.  It is another for our regional championship tournament.  If MLS chooses to have its schedule conflict with CONCACAF's, that is their problem.

16 minutes ago, Shway said:

Honest Question:

He will make the quarterfinals no doubt, that is safe territory but with the quality of the players we could even push to SF

11 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Thats the exact reason he did get called up. 

TFC won't be using Okello in the next two months, but they will be using Fraser. If Fraser was called up he'd sit on the bench for Canada when he could have been playing for TFC. 

It's also the same reason why Okello is there ahead of Chapman. And maybe even Richie Laryea.

The only thing that worries though is that if Osorio doesn't recover in time from his current injury to play*, we won't have him for the tourney and we won't have the next best midfield options from TFC either as Chapman, Fraser and Laryea were not called to the 40-man roster. I'm not seeing a ton of creative options in our midfield if Osorio's not there and Kaye is playing left back, that puts a lot on the shoulders of Atiba and Arfield to take on those roles.

*Hopefully the fact that he was still called means that he is expected to do so.

15 minutes ago, Ansem said:

So Molinaro has a very good point: (first tweet)

Herdman left Adekugbe off the team because he probably saw he wouldn't be able to to recover from his injury in time, and He probably left James off the roster cause for March call up he rejected due to having a big game to establish himself with Midtjylland FC of the Danish Superliga. He played 4/5 good games and impressed, nonetheless wanting to solidify himself on his club. This summer they're playing Europa League Qualifiers 

the rest: Cordova, Tabla, Wotherspoon, Ricketts, Akindele, I can understand technical decisions by the DT