Gold Cup 2019

12 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

FWIW, this is Terry Dunfield's starting 11 projection for the GC.  Some odd choices for me.

- No Cav, which pushes David up top, making room for Osorio.

- Hutch as CB, to the exclusion of Henry, with Piette assuming the CDM role.

- Crepeau instead of Borjan as Canada "looks to the future".

image.jpeg

Wtf

talking out of two sides of his mouth. “Looking to the future” replacing a 31 year old goalie in his prime but reserving a spot for an ageing 36 year old midfielder. (No disrespect to atiba he is a legend)

Edited by king1010

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

I suspect we play 3-5-2 because it maximizes the talent on the team.  We have the players, for the first time ever, to compete with Mexico.

My preferred lineup:

David.       Cavalini.  

Davies.        Arfield.           Hoilett.     

Hutchinson.      Kaye.   

James.      Henry.      ZBG.     

Borjan.      

I think that lineup can be competitive with anyone in CONCACAF.  I don’t mean we can beat Mexico but we can be competitive with them.   I think this lineup is the 4th best lineup in CONCACAF.

That line up is neck and neck with costa ricas starting 11 for 3rd best in Concacaf IMO. 

11 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Of course not. I was just having a bit of fun. 

As a big supporter of both TFC and Osorio fan, I do not have him in my starting lineup.  To me is can be an impact player off the bench in most games with his creativity.

3 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Zbg cant play cb in a back 3. Maybe if cornelious starts with james and henry. 

Agree, you would have to  move to Cornelius, James & Henry as back three but Hoilett and Davies would have to drop back and defend much more.  Hoilett not the best defensively and we all agree we would rather see Davies attack.

2 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

How did dunfield not have henry in the lineup? Is it because hes injured? Will he be fit for the gold cup?

Yes, said he is worried about his injury.  Week to week he called it.

4 hours ago, HochelagaFC said:

I could be wrong but I don’t think ZBG really belongs in a back 3. He really is an offensive minded fullback, in a 3-5-2 he’s best suited for the wing back role where he has played a couple of times this year with the Impact.

I was thinking he’s a good defender in space.  But Cornelius could play back there instead.

I think the rest of the lineup is ideal though.

4 hours ago, king1010 said:

That line up is neck and neck with costa ricas starting 11 for 3rd best in Concacaf IMO. 

What could potentially make Canada stand out from Costa Rica right now is guys like Davies and David. They are Canada's match winning attacking talent, the X factors; just as Navas is Costa Rica's, or Bailey is Jamaica's. Canada just has more of it right now, and its players like those that can be the difference between a 0-0 draw or a 1-0 win, and when qualifying to the hex, every point matters.

Edited by LeoH037

20 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

- Crepeau instead of Borjan as Canada "looks to the future".

image.jpeg

Uuumm Borjan is 31...and led Champions League group stage in saves but ok(I'm totally cool to giving crepeau a start at some point this GC).

He might be right about CB unfortunately, could slot in James also. 

If we play a similar fashion how we did vs FG the mid 3 in a reverse triangle with Osorio & Arfield up top works. 

Hoilett has played mostly on the left all year but sure he can play there, also I don't know how you leave Cav out...

Think it's about 75% right.

10 hours ago, Corazon said:

Agree, you would have to  move to Cornelius, James & Henry as back three but Hoilett and Davies would have to drop back and defend much more.  Hoilett not the best defensively and we all agree we would rather see Davies attack.

This is my thought, ZBG not really suited for a 3 man back and Hoilett can't track back and defend in a 3-5-2. I suspect this line up will only work against inferior teams. Maybe that's why Max is in the nets too :)

22 minutes ago, BCM said:

This is my thought, ZBG not really suited for a 3 man back and Hoilett can't track back and defend in a 3-5-2. I suspect this line up will only work against inferior teams. Maybe that's why Max is in the nets too :)

I see this said so many times. 

But i watched cardiff this season, and he was essentially playing as a wing back. 

Every game he was required to defend... Predominantly 

5 minutes ago, Big_M said:

the myth of hoilett not being able to defend is still alive and well..guess its hard to understand that a winger who cant defend wont survive in english top leagues..let alone over 200 starts in premier league and championship

We've seen him work his tail off tracking back on the national team too.  Maybe not a 3-5-2, but the effort is there.  

1 hour ago, Shway said:

But i watched cardiff this season, and he was essentially playing as a wing back. 

41 minutes ago, Big_M said:

the myth of hoilett not being able to defend is still alive and well..guess its hard to understand that a winger who cant defend wont survive in english top leagues..let alone over 200 starts in premier league and championship

I hope you both are correct - but it's different when you're a winger and there's four behind you and when you're essentially a wing back and there's only 3 behind you. I can't see him succeeding in the latter formation against the likes of Mexico or even the US - and on the right side. I didn't watch much Cardiff City this year, so happy to be proven wrong if he can do it.

Yeah, my observation is that Hoilett works his ass off defending when necessary.  A team like Cardiff doesn't have the luxury of having wingers that attack and then relax waiting for the ball to come to them - and that has been true for his international play as well.

I think (if I am remembering correctly) that Junior may have had a somewhat defensively soft game or two for us very early on in his CMNT career, but since then he has done everything we could expect in terms of two-way play. 

10 hours ago, Shway said:

10 hours ago, Big_M said:

I don't disagree that he works his tail off tracking back but we you have to consider they play a completely different line formation.  This is suggesting Hoilett be a wing back with a back 3 while Cardiff plays with a back 4 and who also happens to be a very defensive team, in comparison to Canada which clearly is not.  If you play a back 3, its players like Dani Alves, Kyle Walker, Danilo etc. that become those wide men which is why it would make more sense for a guy like ZBG.  When Man City plays with a back 3 is it Kyle Walker that plays out wide or is it Raheem Sterling?  I don't care how much Hoilett works back.  There is a difference in lineup formation and a difference quality of fellow defenders between Cardiff & Canada.

I'm as big a fan of Hoilett as anyone on here but that lineup is unrealistic.  Not against good competition anyways. 

Edited by Corazon

Of course there is overlapping?  Doesn't necessarily translate  to a full game in a certain formation even if its used once or twice a year for a club that trains together daily like Cardiff.  I would be shocked if we ever see this lineup, however I see no issues playing with this against CONCACAF minnows.  If you're trying to get the best players on the pitch at the same time then this is the lineup for that.  

43 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

If Henry can’t play. 

2C3B87F0-D0C0-4F95-B994-63EA42DC650B.jpeg

This is the lineup I want to see.  In my opinion this the best 11 we have for each position with the exception Henry for Hainault when fit.  I suspect we will see MAK at LB over Adekugbe.  Also hard to imagine a lineup without Piette but I'm not sure where you fit him.  I can't imagine anyone of those midfielders or strikers being replaced.

Rotations will be important during this tournament.

Edited by Corazon

Simply still can't fathom the options we have in comparison to just a few years ago. I really believe this pool is only going to explode further too in the next few years and beyond. 

If only we could create two or three standout CB's. 

I don't completely agree with the above line up but I think you can also put an alternative line up of players to replace that 11 and it is arguably still as strong as any Canada line up we had over the past decade to now. 

This alternate formation is even without the likes of Teibert, Johnson, Tesho, Ricketts, Edgar, Wotherspoon, Miller and Estaquio (who would obviously be in the main line up if not injured) Crazy good times and to quote Yazz the only way is up. Baybeeeeee

lineup (1).png

11 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Simply still can't fathom the options we have in comparison to just a few years ago. I really believe this pool is only going to explode further too in the next few years and beyond. 

If only we could create two or three standout CB's. 

I don't completely agree with the above line up but I think you can also put an alternative line up of players to replace that 11 and it is arguably still as strong as any Canada line up we had over the past decade to now. 

This alternate formation is even without the likes of Teibert, Johnson, Tesho, Ricketts, Edgar, Wotherspoon, Miller and Estaquio (who would obviously be in the main line up if not injured) Crazy good times and to quote Yazz the only way is up. Baybeeeeee

lineup (1).png

Wow!  This lineup alone is better than some of our previous squads and would definitely compete in this tournament as well.