Gold Cup 2019

As with others I’m surprised by a few calls but only concerned with our backline.  While this may be the best squad we have called it ironically may have the worst backline ever.

Ive been thinking hard about the Okello call and here’s the way I think Herdman justifies it:

- Best uncapped Canada prospect (eligible for Cameroon) best to avoid another Tabla;

- even if we flunk he can walk away and say “I captied a top prospect”; 

- just as everyone gives credit to OZ for MAK, Davies, Cordova etc. he might want to put his stamp on Okello;

- He’s the tallest player on the squad;

- he’s the best midfield prospect since Atiba and is also a similar player.. remember Atiba played CB for Canada in 2005.  This is the last chance to have them together and have Atiba mentor him.

^^^^^^ (since we are quoting people without quoting them)

David is listed as one of three strikers on the roster, which is why I think I missed him when looking at the midfielders, and I already mentioned Arfield. I didn't say that there wasn't any creativity if Osorio is not there, but I don't see that he's going to be replaced by a more like-for-like option in that regard if he pulls out of the squad from injury

7 minutes ago, Alex said:

I love how everyone is worried about a few guys who won’t see any minutes, or just garbage time. 

Be worried if one of Hoilett, Arfield, Hutchinson, David, Davies, Cavallini, Piette, Larin, Millar, Osorio or Borjan didn’t make the squad. 

We're not concerned about players who would get garbage time. We're concerned about our lack of defensive depth. Guys like James and Adegukbe would play much more than garbage time if fully fit and called up. 

Edited by king1010

10 minutes ago, Alex said:

I love how everyone is worried about a few guys who won’t see any minutes, or just garbage time. 

Be worried if one of Hoilett, Arfield, Hutchinson, David, Davies, Cavallini, Piette, Larin, Millar, Osorio or Borjan didn’t make the squad. 

We play 3 games in one week across the continent.  Squad rotation means basically every player plays.  The only outfield player who didn’t play for us last gold cup was Edwards.

The other key is roster management in the group stage...

Canada needs to win against Martinique and Cuba to get out of the groupe. The more goals the better. 

You need to decide how you approach the Mexico match in altitude. I think you aim for a tie with a very defensive set up. Do you rest your best guys and save them for Cuba and Quarterfinals?

This is how I would do it, you guys be Herdman too

Martinique 

*I don't take Martinique lightly hence balancing defences and offense

**Manage Cavallini, needs him games

***Split Hutch and Piette minutes

----------------------Cavallini (Larin)

Davies--------------David----------------Hoillett

--------------Arfield-----------Hutchinson (Piette)

Kaye-----Cornelius--------Henry------Godhino

-------------------------Borjan

Mexico

*Manage Cavallini minutes

**Davies and ZBG speed could be useful for counter attacks as they are fast.

***I rest Henry and Hutchinson 

---------------------Cavallini (David)

Millar----------------------------------------Hoilett

Arfield---------------Johnson-----------Osorio

----------------------------Piette

Davies-------Cornelius-----Miller--------ZBG

------------------------------Borjan

Cuba

*Need goals for Goal differential hence the attacking oriented setup

--------------Cavallini----------David

Davies--------------------------------------Hoillett

--------------Arfield-------------------Osorio

-------------------Hutchinson (Piette)

----Cornelius-----------Henry----------------ZBG

Some more quotes from Herman in this version of the article confirming that Edgar & Adekugbe are injured:

https://www.tsn.ca/bayern-munich-winger-alphonso-davies-headlines-canada-s-23-man-squad-for-the-2019-gold-cup-1.1314101

Also some bizarre reference at the end of the article that the team is going to be attacked by the military or something.

18 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Some more quotes from Herman in this version of the article confirming that Edgar & Adekugbe are injured:

https://www.tsn.ca/bayern-munich-winger-alphonso-davies-headlines-canada-s-23-man-squad-for-the-2019-gold-cup-1.1314101

Also some bizarre reference at the end of the article that the team is going to be attacked by the military or something.

Wonder why no talk about James' exclusion?  IMHO, he would have been a no-brainer.

22 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Cuba

*Need goals for Goal differential hence the attacking oriented setup

--------------Cavallini----------David

Davies--------------------------------------Hoillett

--------------Arfield-------------------Osorio

-------------------Hutchinson (Piette)

----Cornelius-----------Henry----------------ZBG

We shouldn't need to worry about goal differential with the 16 team format. Two solid wins against Cuba and Martinique will be enough (barring some crazy upset over Mexico).

1 hour ago, Ivan said:

Wonder why no talk about James' exclusion?  IMHO, he would have been a no-brainer.

I'm guessing...

Herdman said the selection process was tricky, saying he had to deal with injuries (David Edgar and Samuel Adekugbe) while balancing players' needs to be with their clubs during a tournament that takes place outside a FIFA international window.

Edit: Actually Midtjylland has already qualified for Europe so they’re no longer playing. Not sure why he was left out.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

James obviously a big loss. But the Okello call surprises me. Obviously looking to the future with the call, but He hasn't shown well in MLS, and meanwhile Shome has been great with Montreal. I'm not sure that Shome was on the 40 man list though. 

3 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I'm guessing...

Herdman said the selection process was tricky, saying he had to deal with injuries (David Edgar and Samuel Adekugbe) while balancing players' needs to be with their clubs during a tournament that takes place outside a FIFA international window.

I really hope this applies to Tabla. Lack of playing time alone shouldn't have been enough to keep him off this team. That kid has a crazy amount of talent. 

However, if he's being passed on due to lack of playing time, I hope he has a good attitude about it. Lucas Cavallini proved showed us for many years that just because you are cap tied doesn't make you useful. We suffered for years and years without Cav due to multiple rejections on his part.

1 minute ago, BFBF said:

James obviously a big loss. But the Okello call surprises me. Obviously looking to the future with the call, but He hasn't shown well in MLS, and meanwhile Shome has been great with Montreal. I'm not sure that Shome was on the 40 man list though. 

I would think losing Shome to Bangladesh is more realistic than losing Okello to Cameroon.

As he has done with the women's team, Herdman does pick a promising youngster who isn't ready yet to play (ex garbage minutes) but will benefit being around veterans and around tournament play. Except for one women's player, all of these type of selections made the current WC roster.

And for those who like to scream cap-tie, hopefully this will be done with Okello. From the Sportsnet article: Herdman worked with the 18-year-old Okello at the Toulon youth tournament and liked what he saw, although he seemed to hint that the 18-year-old may not see much playing time. "He’s a kid with a bright future but also knows the role that he’s going to play in this team through this Gold Cup."

Given the backline selected, we're going to see Johnson, MAK, Davies and/or Hutchinson play there at times during the tournament. MAK & Davies will be there for their offensive threats especially against teams we will have hard time creating chances. 

1 minute ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Definitely not.. it’s a lot more realistic that Okello would want to play for Cameroon than Shome for Bangladesh. 

Obinna was most likely commenting on the potential of losing Shome versus the potential of losing Okello based on their abilities not their desires.

14 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Definitely not.. it’s a lot more realistic that Okello would want to play for Cameroon than Shome for Bangladesh. 

Yeah, but it's more realistic Bangladesh calls Shome than Cameroon calls Okello. There is no way in hell Cameroon calls Okello. Meanwhile, Bangladesh would love to have a player of Shome's quality. 

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yeah, but it's more realistic Bangladesh calls Shome than Cameroon calls Okello. There is no way in hell Cameroon calls Okello. Meanwhile, Bangladesh would love to have a player of Shome's quality. 

Okay but Shome isn’t accepting a call to Bangladesh any time soon.  We shouldn’t be looking to cynically cap tie a player like that.  If his career is that poor that he’s going to consider that why would we ruin his international career? 

Okello on the other hand Cameroon could easily try to cap tie.  And he would likely be curious at the least.  6”4 technical central mids are not common anywhere in the world.

Edited by CanadaFan123

I know Tabla would probably not be a starter, but the creative depth takes a big hit without him in the squad.

We are blessed with many good attackers, but am I the only one that feels we are suddenly much more shallow now?

Davies, Hoilett and David all probably start. Millar is a solid player off the bench. Who's up after that? I don't like the Tabla exclusion. It is very disappointing. Judging from the comments on Mlssoccer.com, I am not alone in that.

There better be a good reason for him to be left off...especially considering Okello got the call. He's played less first teams minutes than Tabla, because he's played a grand total of zero. And remember, Okello is only 1 year younger than Tabla. If I had to choose which youngsters to invest in, it would be Ballou, but I'll give Herdman and co. the benefit of the doubt and assume this exclusion was amicable and well thought out.

Edited by Obinna

32 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Herdman said that there were several players he considered but weren’t available. Defenders Sam Adekugbe and David Edgar are dealing with injuries. And he mentioned three MLS players — Toronto FC’s Jay Chapman and Montreal Impact teammates Mathieu Choiniere and Shamit Shome — whose circumstances prevented them from being picked.