The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

54 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

Bet he goes if the game is in Toronto. Vancouver is just a pain in the ass to get to. 4 additional hour flight for a game vs French Guyana? Doubt he's too upset he's missing it.

Or Montreal, Ottawa or even St John’s. I bet it is someone at Bayern realizing where in Canada the game would be played and saying to themselves “12 hour flight for a what-league qualifier? Nein!!”

Well, this won't help the wise socceronly's nightmares when he sees that goal celebration.

And just a reminder, last time Canada played French Guiana we won by 2 goals, with Davies scoring 2 goals.

Edit: And Arfield (also announced out injured today) got one of the others. The only other goal was scored by Jakovic.

Edited by Kent

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

Well, this won't help the wise socceronly's nightmares when he sees that goal celebration.

And just a reminder, last time Canada played French Guiana we won by 2 goals, with Davies scoring 2 goals.

Edit: And Arfield (also announced out injured today) got one of the others. The only other goal was scored by Jakovic.

Call up Jakovic!!!!

4 minutes ago, Kent said:

That was a stronger FG team, which included Privat and Baal, who are not going to be in Vancouver.

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

Without Davies it's a big chance for Millar and/or Tabla.

----------------------Borjan-------------------------

Godinho--Henry--Cornelius--Adekugbe

------------Hutchinson--Piette------------------

Millar--------------David-----------Hoilett

---------------------Cavallini-----------------

Still a strong side, with Larin, Osorio, Tabla providing good options from the bench.

I see Osorio or Kaye starting over Piette, both are more attack minded, and Hutchinson (who is a no brainer starter) can play the defensive role.

Why don’t we bring him anyway for the match and to see the squad?  Isn’t there a rule where a club needs to release a player to be evaluated by their national team or am I imagining that?  

I think it would be worth it for the PR and also to send a message for potential future instances. 

Just now, Keegan said:

Why don’t we bring him anyway for the match and to see the squad?  Isn’t there a rule where a club needs to release a player to be evaluated by their national team or am I imagining that?  

I think it would be worth it for the PR and also to send a message for potential future instances. 

Yes there is and yes we should.

6 hours ago, scullion44 said:

Bet he goes if the game is in Toronto. Vancouver is just a pain in the ass to get to. 4 additional hour flight for a game vs French Guyana? Doubt he's too upset he's missing it.

... nice troll dude... until recently he lived in Vancouver. Pretty sure he wouldn't mind going back for a visit. 

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

Not sure this is the match the 'put your foot down' versus Bayern Munich on...

44 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Not sure this is the match the 'put your foot down' versus Bayern Munich on...

I don't think this is 'putting your foot down'.  It's more about setting a precedent politically.  We obviously agree that he isn't going to play or train and we agree to it but we are basically sending a message saying "hey, we're not saying you did here, but just in case you ever tried to pull this kid with a little niggling injury we're gonna call your bluff in the future".  

We don't know the full story so maybe there has been some back and forth.  But if it went down like Bayern called Canada Monday morning and said "Hey, Alphonso picked up a knock so we're not releasing him" and we just went "Aww, that sucks, okay" we're setting ourselves up to be bullied by a massive club.  Big teams don't like to release their players and they wouldn't if they didn't have to.  When they play for big nations there's nothing that they can do - but a guy like Davies with a nation like Canada, they'll want to strong arm us.  Maybe this is a legitimate knock, maybe it's a convenient excuse... who knows.  But either way we should call him in to evaluate him.

Why would Bayern be pissed at that?  If they were that would make them even more suspect.  What's he going to do hang around the training ground for 10 days?  He's apparently "injured" right?

I also disagree that this is a small match.  1) Canada's most important match since July 2017 and 2) Canada's first call-up dealing with a massive (first-team) club.  

12 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

That was a stronger FG team, which included Privat and Baal, who are not going to be in Vancouver.

Do you know if Kevin Rimane is going?  I see him listed on Soccerway, but I know that those lists should be taken with a grain of salt.  He seems like one of their most accomplished players ...

9 hours ago, Keegan said:

I also disagree that this is a small match.  1) Canada's most important match since July 2017 and 2) Canada's first call-up dealing with a massive (first-team) club.  

Yeah, it's definitely not a small match. The result determines if our Nations League games are against the likes of USA and Jamaica or Belize and Aruba. Plus the outside chance we could miss out on the Gold Cup.

6 minutes ago, PhillyCanuck said:

Here is a detailed breakdown of Davies' impressive shift for Bayern on Sunday from Bavarian Football Works:

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2019/3/19/18272181/bfw-film-room-analysis-alphonso-davies-history-bayern-munich-bundesliga-mainz-alaba-lewandowski

Nice to see him getting some love in the press.   Kid is 18.  Even in 2 years, developing in this environment, he is still just going to be 20 and nowhere near his prime. 

I think some get a bit twitchy when he sits on the bench, but there is so much we will see from AD in the coming years.   

On 3/18/2019 at 10:33 PM, Bertuzzi44 said:

Is the French Guiana squad up anywhere? Guessing it will include pros Donovan Leon, Marvin Torvic, Kevin Rimane... 

Classic defence versus attack match up

Edited by Jmhutchinson

This reeks of Davies finally getting a place in the Bayern team and everyone involved agreeing that it would be better to keep that momentum going. Even though this is a FIFA date it makes sense.

I'd happily trade it for Davies at the Olympic qualifiers in October but I somehow doubt it...