The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

11 minutes ago, Shakmur said:

Davies should be getting Flimsey Coman's minutes. The guy doesnt have the physical capacity to play. You think he'll injure himself everytime he crosses the ball. As a Bayern fan it makes no sense to keep playing him when we have a better player like Davies on the bench, who has similar qualities but also has strenght, more grit and can win balls back.

For those of you who dont like Kovac, well he wasnt Bayerns first choice, and with how the team is playing, it's very likely they replace him this summer. 

Agreed. Coman has the same level of skill with half the strength. 

Was watching ESPN fc yesterday and I had to agree with the analysts on Bayern: They must decide on their identity. Right now they are entering Man U territory. They have no coherent plan under Kovac, who is trying to do the best with a squad in transition. And Kovac himself was a transition hire - not the coach they wanted, but he'll do, they thought. 

Kovacs is a highly conservative, defensive coach... there was no way he was going to sub in a young, unproven player in this game.  I’m more disappointed that he hasn’t seen any meaningful time in a Bundesliga game (you could debate about getting 15 mins when Bayern was trailing Leverkusen).  But again, Bayern is in a title battle with Dortmund so I doubt Kovacs would “trust” Davies enough to start him or any other young / unproven player until the title is sewn up.

15 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

I don't really agree with these Coman takes. He's proven himself at this level. His only issue is durability. It's fine to want Davies to succeed but that doesn't mean he's obviously better than Coman, because he's not.

I don't think anyone thinks Davies is the superior player overall. He has much more experience than Davies has, but just in terms of raw talent, I am not sure Coman has more of that. 

But that's probably Kovac's hesitation with Davies, he is very raw still.

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Shakmur said:

Davies should be getting Flimsey Coman's minutes. The guy doesnt have the physical capacity to play. You think he'll injure himself everytime he crosses the ball. As a Bayern fan it makes no sense to keep playing him when we have a better player like Davies on the bench, who has similar qualities but also has strenght, more grit and can win balls back.

For those of you who dont like Kovac, well he wasnt Bayerns first choice, and with how the team is playing, it's very likely they replace him this summer. 

A bit harsh on Coman.  He was about an injured striker away from winning a World Cup on one of the deepest attacking teams of all time.  He has well over 100 European games played for PSG, Juventus & Bayern.  And he's a proven champion with numerous titles in every one of those leagues.

I don't think its fair to assume that Davies with 20 minutes of Bundesliga games and a couple of season in the MLS deserves the role more than Coman.  If anything, the position is Coman's to lose.

I think we expect more than the round of 16 from Bayern in the Champions league but I'm also not sure Kovacs deserves to be let go.  They had a slow start to the season but are now in 1st in Bundesliga and in the quarter finals of the cup where the toughest competition they could face is Leipzig or the winner of Bremen vs Schalke.

FYI - Bayern has 1 Bundesliga loss since end of November and going 12 wins and 1 loss in the process.

Edited by Corazon

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

A bit harsh on Coman.  He was about an injured striker away from winning a World Cup on one of the deepest attacking teams of all time.  He has well over 100 European games played for PSG, Juventus & Bayern.  And he's a proven champion with numerous titles in every one of those leagues.

I don't think its fair to assume that Davies with 20 minutes of Bundesliga games and a couple of season in the MLS deserves the role more than Coman.  If anything, the position is Coman's to lose.

I think we expect more than the round of 16 from Bayern in the Champions league but I'm also not sure Kovacs deserves to be let go.  They had a slow start to the season but are now in 1st in Bundesliga and in the quarter finals of the cup where the toughest competition they could face is Leipzig or the winner of Bremen vs Schalke.

FYI - Bayern has 1 Bundesliga loss since end of November and going 12 wins and 1 loss in the process.

I have been pretty patient with Kovac, but that second leg against Liverpool may have been the last straw for me.

Sure, they have made a great run to reclaim the Bundesliga lead, but I don't know how much credit to grant Kovac considering he put them in that hole in the first place.

Furthermore, it is not the results that are bothersome, but the performances that have been concerning. I thought they turned the corner with those recent big wins, but they seemed to have no ability to attack Liverpool once they went behind. They had how many shots on goal? 1 or 2?

Maybe the players are just not good enough and they need to spend, but before they do they must decide on an identity and be clear on what they want to be. It will be a mistake to just buy the best players they can without considering how the pieces fit. And, if Kovac isn't the guy, they need to replace him before they buy the pieces to rebuild. Otherwise, they'll leave the new coach with a bigger mess to clean up than there already is 

Edited by Obinna

21 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I have been pretty patient with Kovac, but that second leg against Liverpool may have been the last straw for me.

Sure, they have made a great run to reclaim the Bundesliga lead, but I don't know how much credit to grant Kovac considering he put them in that hole in the first place.

Furthermore, it is not the results that are bothersome, but the performances that have been concerning. I thought they turned the corner with those recent big wins, but they seemed to have no ability to attack Liverpool once they went behind. They had how many shots on goal? 1 or 2?

Maybe the players are just not good enough and they need to spend, but before they do they must decide on an identity and be clear on what they want to be. It will be a mistake to just buy the best players they can without considering how the pieces fit. And, if Kovac isn't the guy, they need to replace him before they buy the pieces to rebuild. Otherwise, they'll leave the new coach with a bigger mess to clean up than there already is 

The core that has been successful in years past are getting up there in age so part of it is the coach and part of it the changing of players.  I agree that their style is not the same but it could be years before you see a team as dominant as that generation of german players were.  If Bayern was to win the league and cup, and do it by winning almost all of their games in 2019.  I don't see cause for his dismissal.

But perhaps, stranger dismissals have happened before right? ?

2 hours ago, Vince193 said:

I don't really agree with these Coman takes. He's proven himself at this level. His only issue is durability. It's fine to want Davies to succeed but that doesn't mean he's obviously better than Coman, because he's not.

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

The only thing Coman has proven since at Bayern is that he has serious fitness issues and is always injured.

Lets also remember that Ribery & Robben are leaving at the end of the season, meaning Davies competitors are cut in half with only Gnabry & Coman and sometimes Mueller.  Hopefully Davies can show Bayern his worth for the remainder of the season and they don't look for an additional winger this summer.  I highly doubt Hudson-Odoi comes over now with the transfer ban on Chelsea.

It is this summer where he will need to bust his ass.  A full pre-season of training and increased familiarity with the setup there will help a lot.  Bayern are losing 2 guys that were, at the peak of their powers, a couple of the best wingers in the world so I expect them to dip into the transfer market regardless - but the extent to which they do that for wingers may be a good indication of where Davies sits in the pecking order.

Go out and buy a world-beater?  Davies probably sees a lot more of the pine.

Buy more along the lines of future prospects?  Maybe he gets more time.

53 minutes ago, Corazon said:

The core that has been successful in years past are getting up there in age so part of it is the coach and part of it the changing of players.  I agree that their style is not the same but it could be years before you see a team as dominant as that generation of german players were.  If Bayern was to win the league and cup, and do it by winning almost all of their games in 2019.  I don't see cause for his dismissal.

But perhaps, stranger dismissals have happened before right? ?

Well it depends. Winning the Cup and Bundesliga would be considered a successful season, but if they do it by the skin of their teeth whilst looking inept in attack and suspect in defense, do you really want to continue with Kovac? Maybe he is a great coach and the squad simply needs upgrading.

That's up to the Bayern brass to decide. 

50 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Lets also remember that Ribery & Robben are leaving at the end of the season, meaning Davies competitors are cut in half with only Gnabry & Coman and sometimes Mueller.  Hopefully Davies can show Bayern his worth for the remainder of the season and they don't look for an additional winger this summer.  I highly doubt Hudson-Odoi comes over now with the transfer ban on Chelsea.

Ribbery and Robben are theoretically first choice, but in practice they barely factored into the equation since Alphonso arrived. That's the reality. 

They are basically out of the team already.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Ribbery and Robben are theoretically first choice, but in practice they barely factored into the equation since Alphonso arrived. That's the reality. 

They are basically out of the team already.

I guess you are right, especially with Robben who's been out.  But its also clear that even the month since Ribery has been back, hes still ahead of Davies still in the pecking order.

Edited by Corazon

Bayern is in transition. The core group that brought them success all these years, Robben, Ribbery, Lewa, Muller, Hummels are past their sell by date. They will reload this off season. Lewa is a shadow of the player he was. Guess he hasn't recovered from his  performance in the WC. 

To me, Coman looks like Bayern's best attacker. Of course, the caveat is when he's fit. Gnabry has been in solid form every time I've watched him this season, but from a talent level Coman is better. Where Davies fits is hard to say. Right now he's behind both those guys in ability but I don't think he's far behind Gnabry, whom I am certain he will surpass if his development continues.

We shouldn't expect much from Davies this season. He is extremely young and mid season transfers are always difficult. Next season, with Robbery gone and a full pre-season under his belt, is when we should start expecting an impact.

10 hours ago, Obinna said:

No I am being literal. There was literally space all over the field in the last 15 minutes.

Did you watch the game?

I was in a big pub, but was paying attention to the greatest team in the world on another screen. 

Seriously, most commentators in Spain are saying that the team that will end up spending most this upcoming summer, after Real Madrid, is Bayern. And they have actually announced they have money to do so. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

It's obvious you people havent followed Bayern and Coman the last 3 years because you probably wouldn't all be so high on him. Yeah he's fast and skillfull, but look at his history of injuries since he's joined Bayern, he's been very frustrating. The fact that he hasn't been able to push old Ribéry out of the lineup these past years speaks a lot. Imo, we were better with Douglas Costa.

And Ribéry is not gone yet, he's been hinting at staying another year. I dont know what the Bayern brass really think about it. 

Gnabry just signed an extension, he's been by far the best attacking player since the winter break and he's been exciting to watch all season. Davies looks to be the the planned backup to Gnabry on the right wing next season... if he doesnt fall out of favor with the coach, whoever he may be.

Edited by Shakmur