The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

16 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Both being wide players my opinion is that you absolutely have to go down easy sometimes, you have to do what you can to keep physical defenders off you. To make them doubt before jumping in. Otherwise your career will end early to injury, wings are always susceptible to tackles that are hard on ankles, knees. If you are basically an honest player, you don't also have to be a fool.

Sometimes I worry that we are such a hockey mentality country where any sort of going down easy is discouraged. This could be a huge disadvantage to our national team if no players use this to our teams advantage. I don't want players to look foolish trying to get a foul, but they need to know when they have actually been fouled and have lost some advantage and know how to get the call.

3 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Sometimes I worry that we are such a hockey mentality country where any sort of going down easy is discouraged. This could be a huge disadvantage to our national team if no players use this to our teams advantage. I don't want players to look foolish trying to get a foul, but they need to know when they have actually been fouled and have lost some advantage and know how to get the call.

This doesn't seem to be an issue with us anymore - as far as I can tell, anyway.  We still don't to the writhing and flopping that some of the central american countries are known for in our region, but I don't think people resist the idea of going down when warranted - either to get the other guy in foul trouble or to get a free kick in a good position.  I assume it comes from the high level professional environment most of our guys are in now - this is a part of the game at those levels and it is drilled into them tom seek advantageous plays. If that demands going down when you could maybe fight to stay on your feet, so be it.  It isn't simulation - just part of the modern game.

8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

This doesn't seem to be an issue with us anymore - as far as I can tell, anyway.  We still don't to the writhing and flopping that some of the central american countries are known for in our region, but I don't think people resist the idea of going down when warranted - either to get the other guy in foul trouble or to get a free kick in a good position.

I do, but I feel very alone.

"The kid was devastated. As a coach you're always upset, but you can look down this roster and there's some really good players to step through. But I was just so gutted for him. He was so excited to come back. He had some tears on the phone. He actually couldn't finish his sentences. Someone else picked the phone off him at one point. You feel for him because this meant a lot to him,” concluded Herdman."

https://concacafnationsleague.com/en/article/canada-boss-herdman-sees-opportunities-for-others-amid-davies-absence

John really going into detail. Tough for Davies but good to see how much repping Canada means to him

Un-fucking real. The Whitecaps turned down a bigger offer from PSG for Davies just so Robinson could get a kickback from his agent, who was also brokering the Bayern deal for Davies. If you read further in the thread it's implied they fired Kah when he complained about the situation with Baldwin being involved in all the transfers. How is Lenarduzzi still around? How is Robinson not in jail? This is ridiculous.

9 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Un-fucking real. The Whitecaps turned down a bigger offer from PSG for Davies just so Robinson could get a kickback from his agent, who was also brokering the Bayern deal for Davies. If you read further in the thread it's implied they fired Kah when he complained about the situation with Baldwin being involved in all the transfers. How is Lenarduzzi still around? How is Robinson not in jail? This is ridiculous.

Yeah that is crazy.

If Davies went to PSG though, I wonder if where he'd be? I mean, Di Maria would be ahead of him, not to mention that Mbappe guy. Davies could very well be on loan at Celtic with Timothy Weah. Point is, it's hard not to be happy with how things have played out at Bayern, regardless of how he got there. He's gotten some Bundesliga time, has scored a goal, and there is a clear path to the first team. 

That said, yeah that's kind of a raw deal for Vancouver if they could have made a few extra million from a bigger offer. If I try and take an optimistic look at the situation though, we can say that Davies' success thus far has put Vancouver on the map, and that is an indirect benefit to the club, one could argue. If he had gone to PSG or Manchester United and not played, perhaps the imagine of both Vancouver and Davies would not be as bright as they are at the moment.

No, this is Carl Robinson's agent, who was at the same agency as Robinson's brother, whose firm brought in almost all of the Whitecaps players during Robinson's reign (along with Martyn Pert). 86 forever, amongst others, has done great reporting on this and has the archives on their web page. It's become pretty clear that Robinson was acquiring players, in the most generous interpretation, because he trusted his agent and brother to a fault, and in a more realistic interpretation, because he was getting a cut of the transfer fees the Whitecaps were paying for these players. This went on for FIVE FUCKING YEARS!

13 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Seems about as credible as any other unlinked, unsourced, no "on the record" quoting tweet.

I'll personally be taking this with a large grain of salt. 

15 hours ago, goleafs67 said:

"The kid was devastated. As a coach you're always upset, but you can look down this roster and there's some really good players to step through. But I was just so gutted for him. He was so excited to come back. He had some tears on the phone. He actually couldn't finish his sentences. Someone else picked the phone off him at one point. You feel for him because this meant a lot to him,” concluded Herdman."

https://concacafnationsleague.com/en/article/canada-boss-herdman-sees-opportunities-for-others-amid-davies-absence

John really going into detail. Tough for Davies but good to see how much repping Canada means to him

This seems like too much information! I wonder even if it is true or it is Herdman just over dramatizing the situation and trying to make himself look good in the process. I don't know about Davies personality but if it was 18 year old Grizzly I would not be happy about reading something like this even if it was true. It is nice to know he cares about playing and was disappointed but "The kid was devastated!" would have been sufficient. Yes we have to wait until we see how the team plays against good competition to judge Herdman's abilities but it seems like every time he opens his mouth alarm bells go off in my head saying, "Amateur level coach".

14 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Didn't Robinson play for Mo Johnston in TO who was a master of 1 agent deals with TFC. I guess he learnt his craft well.

To anyone who was concerned about Davies possibly being used as a fullback in the future, Herdman had this to say in an interview with Sportsnet:

What do you see as Alphonso Davies’ role with the national team going forward?

In games where we expected teams to defend deep, knowing there wouldn’t be much space in behind, we wanted him coming from deep and arriving onto things and on switches of play, rather than be the focal point for defences; having him in a chameleon-like role where he would appear in time and spaces where defenders we already preoccupied with other players. We’ve looked at him in deeper roles, like a fullback or wingback, but I think in the future in tougher matches, he’ll be deployed as a forward, and that’s his best position. You’ll see him higher up the field, giving us opportunities in transition.

Full interview here: https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/john-herdman-reflects-challenges-1st-year-charge-canadian-mens-team/

Interesting interview. This is the first time  I get some inkling that not having camps or friendlies is not JH's doing. To quote " it's weird not being on the pitch for 5 months". He also referred to the (FIFA) windows being short and hence difficulty to establish identity/tactical excellence. 

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Interesting interview. This is the first time  I get some inkling that not having camps or friendlies is not JH's doing. To quote " it's weird not being on the pitch for 5 months". He also referred to the (FIFA) windows being short and hence difficulty to establish identity/tactical excellence. 

For sure it is not his choice.

Not sure I can even list the active programs the CSA is running in this year off the top of my head.....