The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Didn't get to see the game as I was roped into playing the Pokemon card game with the kids (*cough* PM me if you gave any you have outgrown...), but very happy to come on and read the updates.  Agree with others that this will be a nice thing to have done before the international break.  Solid minutes and a goal (as well as what sounds like solid defensive play) will be good for his confidence - and hopefully show the coach that he can be trusted with minutes going forward.

Not sure I would want to be French Guiana's right back at the moment...

Just finished watching the 30 minutes he was on the pitch. As someone mentioned above, he didn't put a foot wrong. He also took a bunch of risks and they worked out brilliantly (had a lovely nutmeg on the touchline, a great looping overhead ball that was not easy to take and his finish was very well taken and not easy). You could kind of see it coming, he had a bit of swagger in his body language after coming on and making some positive plays. 

I still have a bit of a theory that some of the Bayerns regulars are absolute pricks by their body language. I've been worried a bit for Alphonso as I can imagine the environment hasn't been entirely pleasant this season at Bayern and likely tense. 

Nonetheless, super happy for him. Could almost cry. There's going to be many ups and downs in his young career at such a massive and established club, so lets enjoy this amazing moment.

29 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

Just finished watching the 30 minutes he was on the pitch. As someone mentioned above, he didn't put a foot wrong. He also took a bunch of risks and they worked out brilliantly (had a lovely nutmeg on the touchline, a great looping overhead ball that was not easy to take and his finish was very well taken and not easy). You could kind of see it coming, he had a bit of swagger in his body language after coming on and making some positive plays. 

I still have a bit of a theory that some of the Bayerns regulars are absolute pricks by their body language. I've been worried a bit for Alphonso as I can imagine the environment hasn't been entirely pleasant this season at Bayern and likely tense

Nonetheless, super happy for him. Could almost cry. There's going to be many ups and downs in his young career at such a massive and established club, so lets enjoy this amazing moment.

I did notice that a smiling Riberry was the first guy in the corner with Davies to help him celebrate.  It kind of stood out for me because I wondered about the same thing you mentioned.  I suspect tensions would be a lot higher amongst those competing for a starting spot if the old guard wasn't in the process of leaving.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

44 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

I still have a bit of a theory that some of the Bayerns regulars are absolute pricks by their body language. I've been worried a bit for Alphonso as I can imagine the environment hasn't been entirely pleasant this season at Bayern and likely tense. 

He seemed really enjoy playing soccer last year in the Whitecaps locker room which got exposed for an absolute mess. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I did notice that a smiling Riberry was the first guy in the corner with Davies to help him celebrate.  It kind of stood out for me because I wondered about the same thing you mentioned.  I suspect tensions would be a lot higher amongst those competing for a starting spot if the old guard wasn't in the process of leaving.  

I noticed that as well with Ribery, who was one of the veterans who took him under his wing.  James looked very thrilled for Davies as well.

The smile on Davies face as after he scored was priceless.  Amazing!

On 3/15/2019 at 2:56 PM, Shakmur said:

Davies should be getting Flimsey Coman's minutes. The guy doesnt have the physical capacity to play. You think he'll injure himself everytime he crosses the ball. As a Bayern fan it makes no sense to keep playing him when we have a better player like Davies on the bench, who has similar qualities but also has strenght, more grit and can win balls back.

For those of you who dont like Kovac, well he wasnt Bayerns first choice, and with how the team is playing, it's very likely they replace him this summer. 

On 3/15/2019 at 3:16 PM, Obinna said:

Agreed. Coman has the same level of skill with half the strength. 

Was watching ESPN fc yesterday and I had to agree with the analysts on Bayern: They must decide on their identity. Right now they are entering Man U territory. They have no coherent plan under Kovac, who is trying to do the best with a squad in transition. And Kovac himself was a transition hire - not the coach they wanted, but he'll do, they thought. 

Sorry had to pull you up here, Coman is absurdly good, Davies isnt in his bracket yet

He has had 2 major injuries and fought back , and several small ones. 

He will be a stalwart for Bayern for years to come.

I do want to say that the coverage and respect that Sportsnet gives to the Bundesliga is non existant. I love the coverage that SN is giving to the CPL, but they went and bought the Canadian rights to the Bundesliga from Fox and they treat it like a red-headed step child (no offence meant to red-headed step children...I love all of you!). 

I initially bought SportsnetWorld to watch FC Koeln games. I could log on and watch Bundesliga games and Premier league games (PL games that WEREN'T on their regular channels) live or on replay.  Three (four?) years later,  SNWorld shows simulcasts of PL games that are on their regular cable channels, FA cup, replays of simulcasts of PL games that are on their regular cable channels and if you are lucky they will show Bayern and Dortmund live and/or on replay.

Unless you have cable (or streaming) through Roger's directly, you cannot watch Bundesliga games even though they have the National rights. It's absolutely ridiculous. (how many times do I want to watch Liverpool vs Fulham?)

/end of rant.

Out of the Canada squad.

Uhh?  So Canada has hyped this whole match around him, he scores the day before the break and suddenly pulls out?

Smells fishy to be honest.  I hope it's with pure intentions but very unlikely he's injured.  

He could have picked up a knock, but even if not, If it helps him solidify a spot at Bayern I am not too worried. We are playing French Guiana at home after all, and should get a result.

Again, when you play so few games and stuff like this happens (injuries, club situations), you will literally never get to see some players. Playing more (any) friendlies would give more chances to get the team together, and mitigate when a player can't make it for whatever reason.

Bolded b/c I feel strongly about this sh!t.