Theo Bair

Interesting thing I just noticed- he has 4 goals in the last 3 games; the last two were draws and 3 games ago, Motherwell won by 2 goals when Bair got a brace. Technically his goals earned them 4 points, or the difference between 9th (5 points out of the relegation tournament) and 11th (4 points from last place). He's not exactly scoring garbage time goals either.

10 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Interesting thing I just noticed- he has 4 goals in the last 3 games; the last two were draws and 3 games ago, Motherwell won by 2 goals when Bair got a brace. Technically his goals earned them 4 points, or the difference between 9th (5 points out of the relegation tournament) and 11th (4 points from last place). He's not exactly scoring garbage time goals either.

I wonder if he’s played himself into a call up vs Trinidad. It’s pretty wide open after David and Larin. I’d consider him our 3rd striker at the moment. 

Nice run of form but he needs to finish the season strong. He’s always struck me as a toolsy guy that just hasn’t been able to put it all together. Shows flashes of high calibre skill and athleticism. 

Edited by FC_Hali

5 hours ago, FC_Hali said:

I wonder if he’s played himself into a call up vs Trinidad. It’s pretty wide open after David and Larin. I’d consider him our 3rd striker at the moment. 

Nice run of form but he needs to finish the season strong. He’s always struck me as a toolsy guy that just hasn’t been able to put it all together. Shows flashes of high calibre skill and athleticism. 

From what I saw a few years back in Olympic qualifying, he looked lazy or disinterested most of the time and he didn’t use his physical tools to his advantage.  What I see now is the opposite.  He always had the skill and athleticism but just didnt seem focused enough to use them effectively.  Perhaps he’s a later bloomer in this regard but I think if he keeps going the rest of the year, perhaps a transfer to a higher level and a spot on the Copa side is not so far fetched.

5 hours ago, FC_Hali said:

Agreed- but after Larin and David it kinda becomes dealer’s choice- maybe they go Cavallini for the concacaf experience, or maybe it’s JRR because we apparently rate him super highly. Maybe they just treat Millar as the third striker. I’d like to see Bair, I think the last batch of goals he’s scored have been different than what we see from Larin and David. Not that he’d play against T&T, but I think he’s earned a look. 

1 hour ago, jordan said:

Good on him for betting on himself and moving out of a place that wanted him to be a target man.

Agreeing to a contract termination and then betting on himself at a new club, for a player of his younger age, is always the better option than just drawing a pay cheque for not playing, as some at the time suggested he should have done.  Good on him to earn his place.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Agreeing to a contract termination and then betting on himself at a new club, for a player of his younger age, is always the better option than just drawing a pay cheque for not playing, as some at the time suggested he should have done.  Good on him to earn his place.

Good to see him having some success. I know some want him to move on already, but I wouldn't mind him staying another year. Just settling in and to work on improving, rather than on relocating/new club/new environment, etc. 

12 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Good to see him having some success. I know some want him to move on already, but I wouldn't mind him staying another year. Just settling in and to work on improving, rather than on relocating/new club/new environment, etc. 

I think he should be here for another year to show that he really is the goods.  But a striker in form at a relatively decent level is a good guy to have for March.

58 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I think he should be here for another year to show that he really is the goods.  But a striker in form at a relatively decent level is a good guy to have for March.

David and Larin are locks and I still think they take Cavallini, but if they take a 4th I think it's solidly Bair now.

2 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

David and Larin are locks and I still think they take Cavallini, but if they take a 4th I think it's solidly Bair now.

I'd be ok with him for Trinidad, especially if Adekugbe's injury frees a roster spot, but 4 strikers at the Copa America tourney might be a bit much considering Tajon, Millar, Corbeanu and Davies are so versatile and can play striker if need be.  

17 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

I'd be ok with him for Trinidad, especially if Adekugbe's injury frees a roster spot, but 4 strikers at the Copa America tourney might be a bit much considering Tajon, Millar, Corbeanu and Davies are so versatile and can play striker if need be.  

I'm the opposite. Assuming he's playing well, the Copa is exactly where I'd want Bair to be. Big tournament experience. I'd look to drop Cavallini for that event.