Theo Bair

1 hour ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Think he might be referring more to the narrative surrounding his time at St. Johnstone and maybe a bit of during the end of his Whitecaps time? I think I remember that being the narrative, right or wrong. Glad he's putting it all together now though

Good for Bair, but before we get too excited, bear in mind that this is the SPL - not exactly the highest level. If he can keep up the form and get a move to, say Belgium, and then keep getting better, we may then have another CMNT player in our pool. I do not think that he is there quite yet.

As a point of reference, AJ has not been at his best internationally of late. Could the low SPL level be hurting his game?

I think if there was a January camp, he'd get called in. But unless he continues to play at this pace (which would be difficult for anyone), I don't think he'll get called up for March. A one-off game with no practice/games in the lead up, I think they'll mostly stick with the normal team. But it could be getting him in to the picture for the Copa (if we make it).

20 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

Good for Bair, but before we get too excited, bear in mind that this is the SPL - not exactly the highest level. If he can keep up the form and get a move to, say Belgium, and then keep getting better, we may then have another CMNT player in our pool. I do not think that he is there quite yet.

While I understand this view point, we called in Brym who was playing in Dutch D2, Fraser who was playing in Belgium D2, Russell-Rowe who barely had any output in MLS, Akinola who hasn't scored a goal in over a year, Paton and Loturi playing in the same league...and then even at this current time, some are calling for Colyns inclusion in for his Dutch D2 performances. 

20 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

As a point of reference, AJ has not been at his best internationally of late. Could the low SPL level be hurting his game?

As I've always stated, the national team call-ups should be based on first are you "elite" to Canada (Larin, David, Davies, Staq, Buchanan, Kone) and the second thing being how is your current form. 

We have a lot of potential around the world, very few playing in elite leagues. So when someone's in form over a stretch period they should get a look.

Is there an argument that Bair is 3rd in the forward depth chart? Cavallini is inactive and Ugbo is playing at a higher level with Cardiff in the Championship, but Bair has now overtaken him in goals. Not sure whether to factor Brym in this equation, but he's gotten less goals than both Bair and Ugbo.

If we called up a team today I would not expect Bair to be called ahead of any of these names, since he hasn't been called since 2020, but if these trends continue into March it'll be very interesting. Say March rolls around and Brym is still on 2 or 3 Eredivisie goals, Cavallini is unattached, and Ugbo adds another goal or two, taking his total to 5 or 6 goals - and Bair is into the double digit goals in the SPL....I personally would like to see him rewarded for his form at that point.

Again, Cardiff and the Championship is a better level than Motherwell and the SPL, but doubling the goals is probably worth calling him up, perhaps?

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Is there an argument that Bair is 3rd in the forward depth chart? Cavallini is inactive and Ugbo is playing at a higher level with Cardiff in the Championship, but Bair has now overtaken him in goals. Not sure whether to factor Brym in this equation, but he's gotten less goals than both Bair and Ugbo.

If we called up a team today I would not expect Bair to be called ahead of any of these names, since he hasn't been called since 2020, but if these trends continue into March it'll be very interesting. Say March rolls around and Brym is still on 2 or 3 Eredivisie goals, Cavallini is unattached, and Ugbo adds another goal or two, taking his total to 5 or 6 goals - and Bair is into the double digit goals in the SPL....I personally would like to see him rewarded for his form at that point.

Again, Cardiff and the Championship is a better level than Motherwell and the SPL, but doubling the goals is probably worth calling him up, perhaps?

If Bair can have some sort of regularity in his scoring, maybe. His issue has been he turns off for months at a time which is a no no for a striker.

Granted I don't think he's ever been in form like this in his career so I'm eager to see how he continues.

But if it's March and he hasn't scored since this past game then I can't get excited about it.

But let's be real it's not hard to get into the convo these days, Larin and Ugbo have been abysmal and David has been fine.

Ugbo can't even get minutes as a late sub when his team is down a goal and chasing points.  I was excited when he signed up for us but he has been really underwhelming so I don't see any argument for him being top 3 right now.  At least Brym has been playing.  Hard to see Bair being a solid third choice but it is hard to deny that he is in form relative to his environment.   

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Ugbo can't even get minutes as a late sub when his team is down a goal and chasing points.  I was excited when he signed up for us but he has been really underwhelming so I don't see any argument for him being top 3 right now.  At least Brym has been playing.  Hard to see Bair being a solid third choice but it is hard to deny that he is in form relative to his environment.   

It's the "one game, winner take all" with no prior camp or games that I think will hold him back in March. I think the NT will look to bring in players that are already familiar with each other, so even if Cavallini isn't fully in form I think he'll get the call as the #3 (and I don't think he'll be unattached by then). 

9 hours ago, Watchmen said:

It's the "one game, winner take all" with no prior camp or games that I think will hold him back in March. I think the NT will look to bring in players that are already familiar with each other, so even if Cavallini isn't fully in form I think he'll get the call as the #3 (and I don't think he'll be unattached by then). 

I agree.  Biello is likely going all incumbent on this one because of what you have described.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Obinna said:

That's a Larin esque goal with the way he gets his head onto it. Becoming more of a CF by the day.

I hope he keeps the pace up and breaks back into the NT in 2024.

There's no reason for him not to at this rate. Based on the last squad, I'm dropping JRR and Hoilett and replacing them with Bair and Brym. 

2 hours ago, Shway said:

There's no reason for him not to at this rate. Based on the last squad, I'm dropping JRR and Hoilett and replacing them with Bair and Brym. 

The only thing which may get in the way is a lack of games for Canada. I think we have NL in the fall. That could be an opportunity if we rotate the squad for some early round matches. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

The only thing which may get in the way is a lack of games for Canada. I think we have NL in the fall. That could be an opportunity if we rotate the squad for some early round matches. 

If Canada makes the Copa and both guys keep playing well, I'd be looking to bring them in there.  These are the types of players we'd like to be ready for the WC, and the Copa is a better event to prepare them for that than NL.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

If Canada makes the Copa and both guys keep playing well, I'd be looking to bring them in there.  These are the types of players we'd like to be ready for the WC, and the Copa is a better event to prepare them for that than NL.

It would be the right thing to do....but for some reason I think we'll see Hoilett and Cavallini there as long as they are healthy.

18 hours ago, nolando said:

FYP

FYP

18 hours ago, Shway said:

It would be the right thing to do....but for some reason I think we'll see Hoilett and Cavallini and Vitoria and Borjan and Osorio there as long as they are still able to breathe.