Theo Bair

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Salary-wise that is probably a bit higher but is there an appreciable difference in quality of play?   I tend to view that as an alternate development/career pathway, rather than a superior one.  

At the risk of incurring the wrath of this board, yes USLC is a better league. The CPL’s access to the shop window of the CCL may change the career arithmetic slightly, but ultimately better wages attract better players. 

Ducks

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, footballfreak said:

At the risk of incurring the wrath of this board, yes USLC is a better league. The CPL’s access to the shop window of the CCL may change the career arithmetic slightly, but ultimately better wages attract better players. 

Ducks

I would love to see a friendly or two between USLC and CPL. Would the USLC champs beat the CPL champs? How about between "average" mid-table clubs from each league? I have no point of reference as I have not seen any USLC matches.

4 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

I would love to see a friendly or two between USLC and CPL. Would the USLC champs beat the CPL champs? How about between "average" mid-table clubs from each league? I have no point of reference as I have not seen any USLC matches.

My cursory googling says average team salaries are as follows:

* USL Championship: $1M-$1.5M USD ($1.36M-$2.04M CAD)

* CPL Salary Cap (2023): $1.125M CAD

* CPL Salary Floor: $750K CAD

Take the USL Championship numbers with a grain of salt. Haven’t been able to confirm that number anywhere, but it does line up roughly with the comparative squad valuations of the two leagues.

Forge and Pacific could probably be competitive mid-table teams in any given year. The rest would likely struggle to beat top sides, but wouldn’t get blown out by any means.

A good comparable would be MLS, which tries to manage its cap so the top teams generally spend 2.5x as much as the bottom. The upper bound of that USLC number is 2.7x the CPL salary floor. So even a CPL budget side would be roughly as competitive as, for instance, MTL (~10.5M) against TFC (~26M)… and we saw how that went.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Most players would agree to a mutual termination of the final year of the contract and just move on.  

Only if you think you’re going to earn a comparable amount or more on your new team than you would on your current one. If not, I see no reason why Bair shouldn’t just keep collecting checks until they find him a move.

11 hours ago, footballfreak said:

Only if you think you’re going to earn a comparable amount or more on your new team than you would on your current one. If not, I see no reason why Bair shouldn’t just keep collecting checks until they find him a move.

I think a club's interest with acquiring him may hinge on not having to pay any transfer fee, so in order for that to happen, he would likely need to get out of the final year of his contract.  That might involve the club negotiating some kind of lump sum buy out with him (at best) or a mutual termination.  I could see either scenario happening much sooner than later because he really has no cachet at the moment:  at his age and this stage of his career, he needs to be playing, because when you're willing just to sit and collect cheques while you wait for something to happen, the window on your career doesn't gradually close, it simply slams shut. 

Hopefully he gets a transfer and a fresh start.  

Edited by BearcatSA

5 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Hopefully he gets a transfer and a fresh start.  

Me, too, but some players reach a plateau and that is their ceiling. I think that Bair has reached his. He needs to play in a place where he can dominate, score regularly, regain form and confidence, and then move back up, but time is ticking for Bair and he may never be more than he is now.

That is not an attack, but it is a reality.

5 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

17 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Me, too, but some players reach a plateau and that is their ceiling. I think that Bair has reached his. He needs to play in a place where he can dominate, score regularly, regain form and confidence, and then move back up, but time is ticking for Bair and he may never be more than he is now.

That is not an attack, but it is a reality.

In the little I've seen of him, I feel he seems to have the physical attributes and talent, he just seems to be missing the effort and extra gear.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

In the little I've seen of him, I feel he seems to have the physical attributes and talent, he just seems to be missing the effort and extra gear.

Part of the problem is that he is likes to play as a finesse player but his managers want him to play a big man's game at CF/striker.

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Part of the problem is that he is likes to play as a finesse player but his managers want him to play a big man's game at CF/striker.

32 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

And he doesn't do enough in the finesse player role to warrant it.

This has been the same story with him and he's already 24 (or going on 24). If a rough and tumble SPL can't bring it out of him, what can?

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, narduch said:

Too bad. Seemed clear though he wasn't getting the traction he needed to progress his career. Maybe he needs to find a level between SPL and Norway 2. Maybe a top flight Norwegian club? 

I think he should avoid the UK all together. I just feel any team there will be fixated and turning him into a target striker and it's clear he will never be that.

18 minutes ago, narduch said:

Scandinavian 2nd tier? Or CPL?

He's done this already and did decently well. Unless it's a big club that's been relegated, or Denmark 2 (Danes seem to have the strongest system in Scandinavia), I would prefer a top flight division in that region. 

Perhaps Finland? If he can do the business at that level it could be a nice springboard. Top flight Denmark and Sweden may be too much considering his struggles in the SPL. Top flight Norway he may be able to hang, but top flight Finland perhaps he could thrive, which is what he needs.

No to the CPL for me. He's already over there. Let him ride it out.

Oh just came in my mind, maybe League of Ireland? The level could be right, just don't feel confident of the path out of that level would be. Would probably lead back to the UK which like I said he maybe should avoid....

Edited by Obinna

25 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Oh just came in my mind, maybe League of Ireland? The level could be right, just don't feel confident of the path out of that level would be. Would probably lead back to the UK which like I said he maybe should avoid....

His path is a level road.  There is no higher ceiling...he can keep forging a journeymsn pro's career until he moves on, in the words of the late, great Steelers coach Chuck Noll, to his life's work

If goes to a Scandinavian country (except Denmark) he's going in mid-season. Maybe that gives him options since teams might be interested in trying to bolster their squad mid-season, but he won't be in game shape. If he goes to another country, he'll be there from the start. Not sure which is the better option, but something to consider. Either way, I think staying in Europe is the bigger priority over returning to the CPL.

3 hours ago, canuckgbp said:

It’s crazy he is turning 24 in Aug. Poor strike rate 8 in 87). Thought he was younger for some reason. 

How much upside does he have left? Admittedly I haven’t watched much of him. 

He's a striker that can't score. I think his ceiling is pretty limited.