Theo Bair

Time for Theo Bair to get his own thread.

Class of 1999.  Forward with Whitecaps. Big, strong attacker.

Showed well at the Toulon Tournament. Now leading the Whitecaps into the  semi-finals of the U19 Academy Championships. Six goals in four games: https://www.whitecapsfc.com/youth/post/2018/07/04/academy-championship-u-19s-face-la-galaxy-spot-final

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I read in the thread about Canadiens in the NCAA, he has given a verbal commitment to the university of Vermont. 

I guess he must value education because he must not be that far off a professional contract with the Withecaps (correct me if i’m wrong here). 

Maybe he could have a path similar to Larin’s one.

Edited by HochelagaFC

5 hours ago, HochelagaFC said:

From what I read in the thread about Canadiens in the NCAA, he has given a verbal commitment to the university of Vermont. 

I guess he must value education because he must not be that far off a professional contract with the Withecaps (correct me if i’m wrong here). 

Might be thinking of a one and done. With the Caps not having a USL affiliate he may as well play one season this Fall and then signing in the winter before a loan for next year.

14 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Might be thinking of a one and done. With the Caps not having a USL affiliate he may as well play one season this Fall and then signing in the winter before a loan for next year.

Would he be eligible for the superdraft after just one year? 

On 7/6/2018 at 11:51 AM, HochelagaFC said:

If he stays there for more than one or two years his 'career' will be severely affected. That's not a program which regularly plays top teams or produces pros (yes, there have been a few!). Strange move.

On 7/8/2018 at 2:34 PM, masster said:

You should be able to watch him today at 5:30pm PST as the Whitecaps U19 team play in the semifinals against LA Galaxy
https://www.whitecapsfc.com/live

Had very few chances through the game. He played as a lone forward - very isolated, as is typical of Whitecaps' teams. Big man who can move. Reminded me a little of Cyle Larin. 

Theo Bair - graphic

Whitecaps FC sign Residency forward Theo Bair to MLS homegrown pre-contract

July 17, 201810:00AM PDT

VANCOUVER, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced on Tuesday that the club has signed Residency forward Theo Bair to a multi-year MLS Homegrown pre-contract beginning in 2019. Bair will be eligible for first-team competition next year.

“Theo is a big, strong player. He likes to score goals and he’s caught fire recently,” said head coach Carl Robinson. “There’s raw potential in him. We are excited to see him develop as he trains with the first team on a regular basis.”

With Bair, Michael Baldisimo, Simon Colyn, Sean Melvin, and David Norman Jr., Whitecaps FC now have inked five players from the club’s development system to MLS Homegrown contracts in the past eight months. Bair, Baldisimo, and Colyn, plus fellow Homegrown player Alphonso Davies, give the ‘Caps four teenagers on their first-team roster.

"It's an unreal feeling," added Bair. "Earning an MLS contract with Vancouver has been my primary goal for a long time. The Academy was another unreal experience, they gave us everything and pushed us in the right direction. I'm fortunate the hard work has provided me the opportunity to step into the first-team environment and I now look forward to this challenge."

WFC forward Theo Bair

• One of five players from the club’s development system signed to MLS Homegrown contracts in the past eight months
  • 60 goals in 75 starts and 98 appearances for WFC Residency U-16, U-18, and U-19
  • Led ‘Caps U-19s with six goals in recent Academy playoffs
  • Scored a goal in four appearances for Canada U-21 at the Festival International Espoirs Provence last May

Bair, 18, will be joining the first team in 2019 after scoring 28 goals in 30 starts and 34 appearances for the WFC Residency U-19 in the 2017-18 Development Academy season, including playoffs, while helping the side to a fourth-place finish in the Academy Championship earlier this month.

The 6-foot-4 forward originally joined the WFC Residency program in 2015, splitting his time between the U-16 and U-18 sides in his first year. Bair was a member of the U-18 side that finished second in 2016, and then helped the U-16 team to a fourth-place finish in the following year.

In his three seasons of DA league and cup tournament competition, Bair totalled 60 goals in 75 starts and 98 appearances for the WFC Residency U-16, U-18/U-19 teams.

A native of Ottawa, Ontario, Bair made his debut for the Canadian youth program in a U-18 series in El Salvador in June 2016. At the Festival International Espoirs Provence in France last May, Bair featured in all four fixtures for the national U-21 side, scoring a goal in his lone start versus Japan.

Bair started his youth career with Ottawa Royals, before joining Capital United FC and West Ottawa SC before his move to Vancouver.

Theo Bair
Position: Forward
Height: 6-04
Weight: 215
Date of Birth: August 27, 1999 in Ottawa, ON
Hometown: Ottawa, ON
Citizenship: Canada
Last Club: Whitecaps FC Residency U-19 (Development Academy ‘18)
Transaction: Signed to MLS Homegrown pre-contract on July 17, 2018 for January 1, 2019
Twitter: @ttbair
Instagram: @theloniusbair

8 hours ago, Soccerpro said:

Why would a young player sign with the Whitecaps? What possible evidence is there that Carl Robinson is ever going to give you a fair shot to see the field?

David Norman has not seen a single minute of play this season. Sean Melvin has been sitting on the bench with backup Brian Rowe getting all the starts despite a putrid goals-against record. Levis has barely seen any time even when de Jong was injured and all they had was the ridiculous Brek Shea.

Robbo also quickly gave up on Adekugbe and Froese. And this doesn't even get into the young non-Canadian players that have failed to develop.

Maybe it's bad luck or overrated talent but Robbo's record with young players is pretty horrifying.

7 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

David Norman has not seen a single minute of play this season. Sean Melvin has been sitting on the bench with backup Brian Rowe getting all the starts despite a putrid goals-against record. Levis has barely seen any time even when de Jong was injured and all they had was the ridiculous Brek Shea.

Robbo also quickly gave up on Adekugbe and Froese. And this doesn't even get into the young non-Canadian players that have failed to develop.

Maybe it's bad luck or overrated talent but Robbo's record with young players is pretty horrifying.

And yet, which young player has gone on somewhere else and really proved the 'Caps coaches wrong?