Theo Bair

Just finished watching the game.  Bair played well in the first half and his physicality is a challenge; took 3 Hearts midfielders to get him off the ball.  Motherwell was overrun in the second half and Bair (and Paton) did nothing and that wasn’t on Bair as he saw so little of the ball.  I think he’s better than Cavallini.

On a side note, Shankland will be at Euro 2024 with Scotland.  He’s arguably the most prolific striker in the last 30 years for Hearts.  If he was Canadian, he would have been called years ago.  

It's going to be an interesting shout for the last striker spot or two between Bair, Ugbo, Brym and Cavallini. 

I just don't see Biello brining in anyone that isn't regular or won't be part of the group. Fair to say in terms of form Bair should be there. I think he will play it safe.

32 minutes ago, toontownman said:

It's going to be an interesting shout for the last striker spot or two between Bair, Ugbo, Brym and Cavallini. 

I just don't see Biello brining in anyone that isn't regular or won't be part of the group. Fair to say in terms of form Bair should be there. I think he will play it safe.

I don't think Ugbo or Brym are really in the conversation.

19 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I don't think Ugbo or Brym are really in the conversation.

I don’t know.   They are both playing (fairly consistently) at a higher level than SPL (if I am being honest, I think people tend to over-emphasize both the quality and the impact of having the Big 2 in that league).  Brym has clearly been seen as having value in past squads and Ugbo has had a nice little bump in form recently.  I know Bair has been red hot lately but I don’t know it is a non-decision when it comes to the other two.  

I am also a bit torn, between Cavallini, not producing but in a higher league, Bair, Ugbo, producing, Brym, more a bench player now at Sparta. 

If we had to rate the following, I am not sure how it'd go.

Scoring: right now, Bair and Ugbo

Hold up: think it's Cavallini

Headers: Bair perhaps

Combination play and passing: think its Cavallini and Brym

Speed: not Cavallini, but not sure about the rest

Could play on the wing: ?

Press: ?

Defensive play, eg set pieces: ?

I say this as we are likely going to go with two strikers, Larin and David. And will sacrifice one wing, to not play without a midfield.

So we could expect late subs vs T&T  to 1-get a goal or 2-defend the result with a strong body in our own area or 3-just sub a tired or injured attacker.

Of course the other solution, for goals is to push Davies or Tajon forward, or to add Millar for wing play. We could also anchor the midfield and send Staq up, there are other ways to attack. And if we are holding onto a result, we could sacrifice an attacker and go for another mid, so we may not even use a third striker.

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I am also a bit torn, between Cavallini, not producing but in a higher league, Bair, Ugbo, producing, Brym, more a bench player now at Sparta. 

If we had to rate the following, I am not sure how it'd go.

Scoring: right now, Bair and Ugbo

Hold up: think it's Cavallini

Headers: Bair perhaps

Combination play and passing: think its Cavallini and Brym

Speed: not Cavallini, but not sure about the rest

Could play on the wing: Bair and Brym

Press: Cavallini and Bair?

Defensive play, eg set pieces: Cavallini?

Filled in some gaps, but like yourself I have questions about the pressing and defensive play / set pieces.

30 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t know.   They are both playing (fairly consistently) at a higher level than SPL (if I am being honest, I think people tend to over-emphasize both the quality and the impact of having the Big 2 in that league).  Brym has clearly been seen as having value in past squads and Ugbo has had a nice little bump in form recently.  I know Bair has been red hot lately but I don’t know it is a non-decision when it comes to the other two.  

I think Brym really isn't in the discussion for this. I'd listen on Ugbo, but it feels like we've gone through these stretches with him before. I guess we'll see where everyone is in a few weeks, when it will really get in to crunch time on deciding on the squad.

13 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I think Brym really isn't in the discussion for this. I'd listen on Ugbo, but it feels like we've gone through these stretches with him before. I guess we'll see where everyone is in a few weeks, when it will really get in to crunch time on deciding on the squad.

And Brym scores in stoppage time for Sparta 🤣

I was watching that result, thinking it'd be funny if he scored to sway the argument.

He got a late one after coming on m. 79 with Sparta Rotterdam up 3-2 over Excelsior, then he got the 4-2.

Frankly, I'd love to see a tournament like the Gold Cup the year that most of the big players were injured or missing.

I believe that is where the brotherhood really started when a bunch of the role players stepped up and put the fear of God in Mexico.  That's when they realized that Canada could actually do something on the big stage.  They probably also figured that when we get all our stars back we should really be something.

Leave Davies, Larin, Tajon, David and Stache with their clubs and see what the rest can do.

But I guess the problem with that, is the tournaments lead to ranking points or other stuff like that.  We should really try to get involved ins some kind of tournament.  I wouldn't have a problem doing that in the Gold Cup if it was only a continental championship with no other ramifications but I assume it counts for something else aside from the title.

25 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

And Brym scores in stoppage time for Sparta 🤣

I was watching that result, thinking it'd be funny if he scored to sway the argument.

He got a late one after coming on m. 79 with Sparta Rotterdam up 3-2 over Excelsior, then he got the 4-2.

Honestly, the player who now has to start looking over his shoulder is Cavallini. I don't think he's in danger of missing the March qualifier, but if they make the Copa and he wants to be there, he's going to have to start upping his game. I don't think he's an automatic inclusion for that, with so many younger players coming along.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I never have a problem with our players going there to establish themselves (or just to earn a living), but yeah, every time clubs outside of the Big 2 participate in Europe they're out of the competition fairly quickly and make no real impact, consistently losing to other "mid-tier" countries.  Even the "Big 2" rarely go far anymore.  Still, if a player is consistently scoring there, I think it would be tough to leave them out.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, jordan said:

Looks a completely different player to last year, looks full of confidence in every run. 

Opportunity is a breeding ground for confidence. With majority of Canadian players it's the opportunities that are limited.