Theo Bair

11 minutes ago, toontownman said:

This is great for Bair. Purple patch it maybe but maybe he also pushes on, uses that confidence to push to the level we hoped he would.

Enjoying the run while it's going though. Bair is on fire 🔥😍

🎶Theo's on fire...

...but not shagging Dani Dyer🎶

Repeat?

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

The last Canadian forward to register 9 goals in the SPL was.....*checks notes*.......Marcus Haber?!

Theo is going to easily smash that before March at this rate! This goal today puts him on 8. 

For context....Haber was 29/30 years old at the time....and had already played the majority of his 27 international caps for Canada. Bair is 24 and to date just has 2 caps to his name. Really goes to show how much healthier our forward depth is now a days. 

1 minute ago, El Diego said:

Yes. He is a better player than Bair, plays for a better team, plays in better competitions, was a much better player in the same leagues (MLS and SPFL), and has played well for the national team for years. What are you trying to get at?

I'm trying to understand some people's logic or rationale as to what their barometer is for a player to "deserve" to be called. My point is the national team isn't about a players potential and moreso should be related to form, or in other words  "Yesterday is yesterday, what are you doing today". 

Playing 6 games, and playing bad in majority of them doesn't give you points for me... and Im not comparing the players because they aren't comparable...I'm only referring to their results,and form in the same league they play in.

Oh but he's on an inferior team....okay so Brym is in a better league (top 5 I believe) and hasn't scored in awhile but plays often... does he deserve a call over Bair? 

I wonder if Johnston wasn't getting any playing time at Celtic, would the convo be like "he's training with elite players, so that's why.. or he was good before"

....all I'm saying is people metrics here (not you personally) all over the place. When for me, on other teams I only see players who are performing at their club level get called in to national teams unless the player is significantly superior. 

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Really goes to show how much healthier our forward depth is now a days. 

Not only that, we had 3 consistent CMNT players playing in the SPFL.

Now we have 4, with 3 consistently performing and only 1 is a sure call up. 

3 minutes ago, Shway said:

I'm trying to understand some people's logic or rationale as to what their barometer is for a player to "deserve" to be called. My point is the national team isn't about a players potential and moreso should be related to form, or in other words  "Yesterday is yesterday, what are you doing today". 

Playing 6 games, and playing bad in majority of them doesn't give you points for me... and Im not comparing the players because they aren't comparable...I'm only referring to their results,and form in the same league they play in.

Oh but he's on an inferior team....okay so Brym is in a better league (top 5 I believe) and hasn't scored in awhile but plays often... does he deserve a call over Bair? 

I wonder if Johnston wasn't getting any playing time at Celtic, would the convo be like "he's training with elite players, so that's why.. or he was good before"

....all I'm saying is people metrics here (not you personally) all over the place. When for me, on other teams I only see players who are performing at their club level get called in to national teams unless the player is significantly superior. 

Best way to look at it is that AJ is the best RB in Scotland, that’s why he gets called up. If Theo Bair was the best striker in Scotland, he’d get called up. You can’t ignore the form he’s in right now, and is probably no worse than our third best striker as we speak.

20 minutes ago, Shway said:

I will also say, Theos hold up game has been good all season, especially in a league that has a lot of brute strength and rashness. 

His quickness, mobility, size and willingness to do the dirty work is a reason why I would him over Cavallini. 

As someone who has only been watching highlights, this is encouraging to read. I had my doubts about him developing that side of his game. Happy that he's figured this out. 

15 minutes ago, Shway said:

Great post and its not the first time youve mentioned/weve seen a narrative shift regarding the scottish league. 

There's a few points that can help explain a changing narrative but not entirely by any means. Im sure you've thought of all of these as well. 
1. Celtic can acquire top end talent for that league. It's safe to assume any starter on celtic is top quality within the league. 
2. Johnston and laryea are clearly our #1-2 RB. After that we would call up ZBG? Therefore its a no brainer. Bair has to compete with guys who have much higher pedigree even if they are out of form. If bair was a CB, he would likely get strong looks. 
3. Obviously we would take ugbo scoring 0 goals over the ontario league 1 golden boot winner as there are obviously big gaps in these levels. Goals are not the single metric to choose from. However, it gets dicey when you compare championship ugbo and/or eredivisie brym to goal scoring bair. 
4. Team chemistry and experience with CMNT play a role in call ups. It isnt totally fair but we know what we get with Cav in concacaf. We don't with bair. If it's a toss up between experience and inexperience, experience wins. Again, its dicey to say if bairs form has now surpassed cav brym etc. 
5. bair has only been scoring for about a month worth of football. He needs to develop consistency at this level.
6. The last and probably biggest piece of evidence is that Celtic are constantly developing international players and selling them for millions (just like rangers). If you go through the top 50 sales in scotland, there are very very very few transfers that dont include celtic or rangers. Therefore, the rest of the world doesnt really respect the scottish league other than celtic and rangers. It may not be right, but unless you play for celtic or rangers, you are not going to be taken all that seriously. 

9 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Also, Ross county not trusting Loturi in a game where they’re absolutely getting HONKED by Motherwell is telling. 

He needs out unfortunately. Gutting he went from plaudits and automatic start to out in the cold. It's not looking like changing. Wonder if an MLS loan could be on the cards. Summer probably makes most sense.

2 minutes ago, toontownman said:

He needs out unfortunately. Gutting he went from plaudits and automatic start to out in the cold. It's not looking like changing. Wonder if an MLS loan could be on the cards. Summer probably makes most sense.

MLS loan seems a bit high of a level? Not getting game time at one of the worst scottish teams doesnt really inspire confidence that he can go to MLS and become a starter and get the minutes he needs. 

his brother got roughly got 12 games for ross in half a season and loturi is at 16. Akio is now at the CPL level again. Obviously loturi is younger and was a starter last season, but I'm not sold hes ready to compete at the MLS level. 

10 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I think unfortunately Loturi may be CPL bound after this. With how many Canadians who struggled to make it abroad coming home to the CPL this year, I’m sure some team is going to make him a decent offer. He’s still young, he has time to get back to Europe. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

For context....Haber was 29/30 years old at the time....and had already played the majority of his 27 international caps for Canada. Bair is 24 and to date just has 2 caps to his name. Really goes to show how much healthier our forward depth is now a days. 

So what you’re saying is… 95 goal season in Cambodia for Bair in 10 years?

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think unfortunately Loturi may be CPL bound after this. With how many Canadians who struggled to make it abroad coming home to the CPL this year, I’m sure some team is going to make him a decent offer. He’s still young, he has time to get back to Europe. 

Maybe I am too optimistic, but I would like to think another team scoop up Loturi, especially if Ross County go down. Bair didn't do much at St. Johnstone and someone else took a chance on him. Maybe that happens for Loturi? 

Another scenario: They go down and the manager gets the sack, then Loturi continues with them down in the Scottish Championship.

Or, maybe somehow the manager stays BUT is put in the position to play Loturi, be it due to exudus of other players or maybe he just trusts him at that level.

Either way, Loturi is under contract until May 2025, and right now he's on 43 SPL apperances, and is 22 years old with a senior international cap for Canada. Hard to imagine a player with such a resume gets forced out of the club, especially considering how well he's played at times for them. 

Edit: Forgot to add this part - I think playing in the Scottish Championship would be better for Loturi than returning to the CPL. For me, he's made too many apperances in the SPL now to take such a step back, given his age and all. Ross County (if relegated) could bounce straight back up, or maybe a team that promotes buy him. 

Edited by Obinna

13 minutes ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Looked back and don’t think this one was shared, apologies if I missed it:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68194487.amp

Theos rise, is more of a testament to his manager imo. I watched majority of games where he was starting and not scoring. He always had the effort, but was always short on the finish.

I think now, and watching the Ross county game...he's oozing with confidence and belief and to me if the manager never stuck with him or gave him St. Johnstonne like minutes he wouldn't be in the form he is in today. 

So props to Theo, but equal to the manager for believing in him.

Best of all, now Bair knows he can do it (physically and mentally he is up to the challenge), so next time when a coach shits on him or benches him etc it wont break him.  Kind of like Lareya, he knows he can take it to the Mex/USA national team, why not a English championship team eh??  No matter what the manager says or does, still keep that internal belief going and the drive to improve/compete.  

11 hours ago, Shway said:

Theos rise, is more of a testament to his manager imo. I watched majority of games where he was starting and not scoring. He always had the effort, but was always short on the finish.

I think now, and watching the Ross county game...he's oozing with confidence and belief and to me if the manager never stuck with him or gave him St. Johnstonne like minutes he wouldn't be in the form he is in today. 

So props to Theo, but equal to the manager for believing in him.

Case in point:
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68194487