Theo Bair

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

I'm the opposite. Assuming he's playing well, the Copa is exactly where I'd want Bair to be. Big tournament experience. I'd look to drop Cavallini for that event.

If Cav is dropped from the Copa, pretty sure he’ll be so pissed he’ll never play for us again given his South American connection.

I think he should be there if he keeps up his current form. 

Seems like a great fit. A player with all the physical tools and good attitude who just hadn't put it all together, and a manager who believes in him and has the patience to see it through!

Oh, and a 'good level' for Bair as well! Challenging, but very doable if he puts it all together!

Edited by Bertuzzi44

5 hours ago, king1010 said:

If Cav is dropped from the Copa, pretty sure he’ll be so pissed he’ll never play for us again given his South American connection.

IMO, Cav getting left out of the Copa squad would be pretty much predicated on the idea of him getting phased out and us consistently going younger moving forward.  He could edge out the others as third striker just based on his history with the squad, but we will fully move on to guys like Bair and Brym (and JRR etc) at some point fairly soon so I think it would just be a decision as to when we turn that page.  

14 hours ago, king1010 said:

People think that all things considered, the connections you are talking about don't matter. Wrong. They do. They matter because most refs will be Spanish speaking, because they tend to have these favourable attitudes towards players in LigaMX, all sorts of little details. As we see in qualifying, the rivals are working the refs in Spanish from the first minute to the last, they walk out of the tunnel laughing with the head referee, the coaches are chatting up the fourth ref, we are often on the outside looking in. I've only seen Osorio countering this sort of banter from rivals.

All this without considering how he plays. 

But if he is not in form, and someone else is clearly a better option, I'm fine with leaving him out. 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

People think that all things considered, the connections you are talking about don't matter. Wrong. They do. They matter because most refs will be Spanish speaking, because they tend to have these favourable attitudes towards players in LigaMX, all sorts of little details. As we see in qualifying, the rivals are working the refs in Spanish from the first minute to the last, they walk out of the tunnel laughing with the head referee, the coaches are chatting up the fourth ref, we are often on the outside looking in. I've only seen Osorio countering this sort of banter from rivals.

All this without considering how he plays. 

But if he is not in form, and someone else is clearly a better option, I'm fine with leaving him out. 

He's playing regularly in LigaMX and potting some goals, with a significant number of matches under his belt, so he should be there, not forgetting that he gives us a more physical, target man look up top.

My guess is that Biello will also consider the fact that Cavallini has played several years with this core and will need little integration.  Although he’s been called to some preliminary squads, if I can remember he hasn’t actually trained with Canada in several years since a Camp Poutine way back with almost none of this core group.  As great as Bair is, I can’t see him getting called in over Cavallini at this point if he’s continuing to ply well in Mexico.  That and given he’s a far shorter flight for one game.  I’d love for Bair to be included in March but not sure we’ll see it but if keeps this up he’d need to be invited to our next friendlies at least.

Ross Stewart wasn’t a £10million striker when he came through the door for £20,000 at Ross County, he became that because he had a lot of similar traits to big Theo, being that humble person who wanted to get the absolute best out his career, and the physical traits to get him where he wants.

10M pound striker. I like the sounds of that!

5 hours ago, El Diego said:

I am happy he is in good form, but I am skeptical about him being a legit call up. This level is still pretty low. I am actually looking forward to the match this afternoon. In the Motherwell forums, Paton also got some positive reviews from the last match.

So just so I'm clear...

When Theo is scoring in the SPFL the level is low, right? Cool understand.

But when Alistair is defending in the same league the level is.... high?

I know a team makes a difference, but champions league is over for Celtic, and they are playing against the same competition.

26 minutes ago, Shway said:

So just so I'm clear...

When Theo is scoring in the SPFL the level is low, right? Cool understand.

But when Alistair is defending in the same league the level is.... high?

I know a team makes a difference, but champions league is over for Celtic, and they are playing against the same competition.

No, the level for Johnston is also low

Just now, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Decent pace and touch in another chance but took too long and the keeper smothered at his feet.

Ross County defensive pace is glacial, it must be said.

Scores another but offside. 

Brilliant finish on the offside goal. Motherwell absolutely having their way with Ross County, up 2 but it could easily be 4 already...