Noble Okello

Dub Narcotic

I watched the highlights and that goal is 100% on Westberg. He had loads of time to get rid of it.  Yes, it wasn’t the best pass to Morrow but Morrow bobbled it and then played it back to Westberg who had plenty of time to play it or hoof it.  Dunn could have done better to move back towards the goal line to give Westberg an option but without that option he should have hoofed it. 

He actually has decent pace; he just has really long legs.

I was surprised to see that he had 92% passing and lead the team in touches last night.  He only missed a handful of passes but 2 of them were really poorly executed.

He certainly has some promise but even when he had a decent rating like last night there seems to be a top gear that’s just missing somehow.  

On 10/31/2021 at 1:04 PM, baulderdash77 said:

He actually has decent pace; he just has really long legs.

I was surprised to see that he had 92% passing and lead the team in touches last night.  He only missed a handful of passes but 2 of them were really poorly executed.

He certainly has some promise but even when he had a decent rating like last night there seems to be a top gear that’s just missing somehow.  

He looks 20 pounds of muscle away from being a Viera-like midfielder. Well, 20 pounds of muscle and a lot more playing time. Like, a lot.

Okelo has been really solid tonight.  I have previously criticized him for always passing backwards but his passing has been great tonight both ways.  He has been getting more consistent- reinforcing the idea that (like other TFC young guns) he needs to make sure he is getting more playing time next year.   

11 hours ago, cronaldo7 said:

Was at the match tonight and actually felt like he wasn’t overly sharp. Some sloppy passes here and there. Didn’t get punished by the Pacific press. Still feel like he has a lot more to offer. Time will tell.

I agree, I have always defended Okello but I thought he was a bit sloppy last night.  Also probably didn't help that he was thrown into the starting lineup last minute due to an injury.

I thought he was quite good especially in the first half, there was one time he lost the ball but that was Delgado inexplicably running into him, he is looking more confident with playing time and starting to use his size to his advantage! If this player continues to progress he may turn out to be quite the player with his size and skill set!

3 hours ago, Corazon said:

I agree, I have always defended Okello but I thought he was a bit sloppy last night.  Also probably didn't help that he was thrown into the starting lineup last minute due to an injury.

He tends to have a few sloppy moments every game, and this was no exception, but I thought last night was better than average for him, on the whole. 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bob Bradley defintely seems to be getting the most our of the Canadians whether it's the young players that have been around Shaffelburg, Peruzza, Nelson, Okello, etc. or the new additions such as Thompson, MacNaughton & Chung.

Osorio has been playing lights out this season as well.  Added another assist today in a fantastic performance.  In fact the only Canadian that has seemed out of sorts so far has been Priso, who was by far the best Canadian aside from Osorio last season.

Edited by Corazon

7 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Had some inerceptions, had some giveaways, bit of a mix.  

I'm guessing some are hoping that he's going to be the next Yaya Toure.  

It is mentality. He has all the tools to go as far as he wants but you never know whether you get switched on Okello or lackadaisical Okello. Generally it is both. Consistently inconsistent. 

47 minutes ago, toontownman said:

It is mentality. He has all the tools to go as far as he wants but you never know whether you get switched on Okello or lackadaisical Okello. Generally it is both. Consistently inconsistent. 

Well, it goes without saying, hopefully the switch stays on for every appearance.

4 hours ago, Corazon said:

Bob Bradley defintely seems to be getting the most our of the Canadians whether it's the young players that have been around Shaffelburg, Peruzza, Nelson, Okello, etc. or the new additions such as Thompson, MacNaughton & Chung.

Osorio has been playing lights out this season as well.  Added another assist today in a fantastic performance.  In fact the only Canadian that has seemed out of sorts so far has been Priso, who was by far the best Canadian aside from Osorio last season.

A good coach makes a world of difference for the young guys.  Under Greg Vanney, he talked a good game about playing the young players, but at the end of the day, all he cared about was keeping his job by playing the vets/journeymen.  Chris Armas was a disaster in every possible way. 

Bob Bradley seems to communicate well with everyone and is willing to be patient with the young guys who are going to make mistakes.  I really believe that Noble Okello and Jayden Nelson will show great improvement during this season, because they have a coach that cares about their development, will tell them where they messed up, what they should have done instead and then the next game, let them play again.

I’m hoping we see improvement in his game, but I just don’t see that much potential in Okello.  His ball control and passing isn’t good enough for a mid.  He is able to make some good takeaways because of his size (long legs) but doesn’t seem to be able to read the game defensively well enough and is so passive.  I wish he could be converted to CB but as I said in my previous point, he doesn’t seem to have great defensive instincts.

11 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I think he just needs to keep playing regularly, kids take time.

That might be the case but I think it’s starting to become time where he delivers something more tangible / polished.

TFC has other hungry young players looking for an opening too. Okello has been around the first team longer than most (even if opportunities have been sparse prior to this year)

19 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

That might be the case but I think it’s starting to become time where he delivers something more tangible / polished.

TFC has other hungry young players looking for an opening too. Okello has been around the first team longer than most (even if opportunities have been sparse prior to this year)

If he had a regular development sure, can’t say he has.