Noble Okello

Dub Narcotic

• 8 months later...

I am still astounded that a guy with his physical attributes wouldn’t make a point of training the shit out of his aerial abilities.  Train to maximize your vertical, make yourself a target for headers on set pieces, dominate the centraL midfield in the air.  It is a playboook that practically writes itself and yet it was never a big part of his game.  He obviously couldn’t have “made it” if that was all there was to his game, but it damn sure would have made him a more effective player overall.  And teams would have given him more leeway in proving he could step up.  

If he ever bulked up and became more aggressive he would make a great CB.  His passing abilities out of the back would be exceptional for the position.  He's fast enough for a CB but not quick enough for center midfield IMO and, likewise, not aggressive enough to be defensive midfielder and not offensive enough either.  He's kind of an in between player IMO.  But we've seen midfield players move back to the defensive line and excel like Laryea, Davies.  For some reason down the spine is a harder transition than the wing.

For me this guy is an attacking midfielder. His best attributes are his touch, his turns, and his creativity. One thing he never seemed to develop was any sort of killer instinct. It's not just that he has a languid style (which he does), but he seems to not have the desire to win the ball. Stylistically, I compare him to a Berbatov.

One guy has him learning how to head the ball to become a better defensive midfielder, one guy has him dropping back to CB, another has him being a 10.  Shit, I think he should learn to catch the ball and go in goal.  With his size and distribution, the sky’s the limit.

ps. 3 years ago after his “coming out party” in that TFC concacaf match against one of the Mexican teams, I had him in the Premier League by now.  Just to be clear.  I meant Canadian Premier League.

1 hour ago, An Observer said:

One guy has him learning how to head the ball to become a better defensive midfielder, one guy has him dropping back to CB, another has him being a 10.  Shit, I think he should learn to catch the ball and go in goal.  With his size and distribution, the sky’s the limit.

ps. 3 years ago after his “coming out party” in that TFC concacaf match against one of the Mexican teams, I had him in the Premier League by now.  Just to be clear.  I meant Canadian Premier League.

Par for the course regarding TFC prospects of that era wouldn't you say?  Even now no one knows where to play JMR.  But we're gonna blame the teenagers, right?

Although Im not defending TFC, theres clearly some gaps in JMR and Okello that prevent them from excelling in positions that feel suited for them. But they also have gaps that suggest they may not be suited for a positional change. 

JMR - isnt quick enough as a winger. Can he transition to CM at an elitish prospect level? Or do you keep him on the wing and just deal with his lack of pace by giving him a fast fullback with the hopes he turns into a +30 hoillet type winger....
I'd love for him to turn into the missing CAM we need. 

Okello - switches off, not the most technical for CM. Does putting him at CB help with reading of the game? If hes not great in the air, is that a problem? Do you persist with him at CM and hope he sharpens up and lets his physical attributes shine through? 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Stoppage Time said:

Pays better than CPL?

Possibly. 40K USD or 40K CAD

Better quality than CPL? 

Definitely not. 

More opportunity to move up?

Equal opportunities, it's just faster to play at a higher level in a given season. 

I will say the commitment to the players is less likely. These MNP teams seem like they are long term trials, but after a year you will be looking for a new situation if you haven't adequately impressed. 

Edited by Shway

Considering how all the other major US sports leagues are known for underpaying in their minor leagues, it's more then likely MLS follows this too.

As for level of play, Next Pro is a glorified reserve league. And that hurts it on a competitive side.

I consider both CPL and USLC above MLS Next Pro. And I've heard Americans say this too so this isn't me being anti MLS as I'm sure I will be accused of