Noble Okello

Dub Narcotic

1 minute ago, hodgkiss said:

Ya maybe I do. But a guy like Jayden Nelson didn't look very good a few years ago. He was constantly knocked off the ball and made some pretty bad decisions. He has made some great decisions this year, has some fantastic pace and has been a tougher to get the ball from - and fights to get the ball back. My point is, with younger players, it's important to see potential and I believe that Okello has that. He needs more consistent minutes - so if he's not getting them with the big team, he needs to be playing for TFCII or a loan with a club where he can play. He has a lot of potential.

Okello has to be loaned out in my opinion. I would send him back to Scandinavia. No more MLS reserve ball for him, he's not going to make good on his potential that way. 

3 minutes ago, hodgkiss said:

Ya maybe I do. But a guy like Jayden Nelson didn't look very good a few years ago. He was constantly knocked off the ball and made some pretty bad decisions. He has made some great decisions this year, has some fantastic pace and has been a tougher to get the ball from - and fights to get the ball back. My point is, with younger players, it's important to see potential and I believe that Okello has that. He needs more consistent minutes - so if he's not getting them with the big team, he needs to be playing for TFCII or a loan with a club where he can play. He has a lot of potential.

I am rooting for Okello and hope he comes good, but “a few years ago” Nelson was 16 and a totally raw prospect.  Conversely, Okello will be 22 in a couple of weeks.  I know the timelines for development can vary and there can be late bloomers but Nelson is still young and showing he can be pretty effective at this level whereas we are quickly moving out the stage where Okello can be considered a young prospect - if we haven’t already.   

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am rooting for Okello and hope he comes good, but “a few years ago” Nelson was 16 and a totally raw prospect.  Conversely, Okello will be 22 in a couple of weeks.  I know the timelines for development can vary and there can be late bloomers but Nelson is still young and showing he can be pretty effective at this level whereas we are quickly moving out the stage where Okello can be considered a young prospect - if we haven’t already.   

Okello is hitting me with Diego Fagundez syndrome where he's the same player he was at 18 and doesn't ever really improve. The different though is Fagundez had shown he was MLS level at 18.

I thought Okello looked better earlier on in this season  But before he could really show anything substantial, he got injured.  I think I mentioned it before but apparently Okello showed out much more than Priso in preseason for BB.  Which is why he was getting minutes over Priso early on in the season.  Priso is a couple years younger and in my opinion showed a level last season that Okello has never been at.

4 hours ago, Corazon said:

I thought Okello looked better earlier on in this season  But before he could really show anything substantial, he got injured.  I think I mentioned it before but apparently Okello showed out much more than Priso in preseason for BB.  Which is why he was getting minutes over Priso early on in the season.  Priso is a couple years younger and in my opinion showed a level last season that Okello has never been at.

Priso simply wasn't fit was my understanding? Okello reminds me of Shola Ameobi but without the cheesy grin. Has all the attributes to go as far as he wants but he never looks like he moves into top gear of focus and determination. Doesn't me he doesn't either but thats just how he appears to me when watching him. 

15 hours ago, toontownman said:

Priso simply wasn't fit was my understanding? Okello reminds me of Shola Ameobi but without the cheesy grin. Has all the attributes to go as far as he wants but he never looks like he moves into top gear of focus and determination. Doesn't me he doesn't either but thats just how he appears to me when watching him. 

That quote was directly from BB and mentioned during a broadcast.  Priso and Okello were both training in preseason and Okello showed more than Priso.  Priso was fit.  It's more likely that Priso was fit but not quite back to the level of play as he was pre-injury in 2021. 

• 4 weeks later...

How bad was this injury? It is never a good time to get injured but with TFC having been light in midfield and MB4 playing every single minute... seems like a massive, wasted opportunity. 

I have to say, I am now in the show me camp. Yeah, he looks like a giant when on the field, effortless long strides (which I think at times make it seem like he isn't trying) and he does seem to have good passing vision. 

At 22, still young. But I am off my personal hype train for him.

This is why I like Nelson. Yes, he is raw. But you can see the fight in him. The flair isn't everyone's cup of tea... but I think Okello should borrow some of that. 

1 hour ago, canuckgbp said:

How bad was this injury? It is never a good time to get injured but with TFC having been light in midfield and MB4 playing every single minute... seems like a massive, wasted opportunity. 

I have to say, I am now in the show me camp. Yeah, he looks like a giant when on the field, effortless long strides (which I think at times make it seem like he isn't trying) and he does seem to have good passing vision. 

At 22, still young. But I am off my personal hype train for him.

This is why I like Nelson. Yes, he is raw. But you can see the fight in him. The flair isn't everyone's cup of tea... but I think Okello should borrow some of that. 

Nobody will say what it was for some bizarre reason (other than "lower body) but it was apparently extremely bad as it's kept him out nearly the entire season, although they keep saying he's getting closer.

• 3 weeks later...

It feels like Okello has been around forever, yet he's just 22 years old. Plenty of time for him to make an impact, be it Toronto or elsewhere.

I wonder if a positional switch would be beneficial for him. My main complaint is a lack of combativeness relative to his stature. Playing CB at a lower level could add that to his game, plus we need CBs anyways.  

29 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It feels like Okello has been around forever, yet he's just 22 years old. Plenty of time for him to make an impact, be it Toronto or elsewhere.

I wonder if a positional switch would be beneficial for him. My main complaint is a lack of combativeness relative to his stature. Playing CB at a lower level could add that to his game, plus we need CBs anyways.  

I've always felt this way about him. There's a bit of a scare factor when I see him on the ball, always looking poised to create a turnover. At his height, centreback seems like it would be a more natural fit. I think he has the ability to play in the MLS, but central midfield might be a bit too technical. 

2 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I've always felt this way about him. There's a bit of a scare factor when I see him on the ball, always looking poised to create a turnover. At his height, centreback seems like it would be a more natural fit. I think he has the ability to play in the MLS, but central midfield might be a bit too technical. 

Yeah I basically agree. I would say that Okello is a tidy technical player, but he's not clean enough for MLS in that position. At least he hasn't proven to be yet consistently. I think Nelson and Priso are, however. 

I suspect Okello would have to drop a level or two if he is to be tried as a CB. 

I cant get over how little he has played.    So few games, even at the USL-? or nextpro level etc.  I know he is still 22, but several years ago when he was still a teenage prospect he was getting alot of USL minutes.  The guy needs to stay healthy and play somewhere.  Really rooting for him as he seemed to have a bright future thats just fizzled out.  

3 hours ago, YorkRegionFan said:

If TFC lose the next 2 games or get knocked out, I hope that Mr. Bradley will give more substantial substitute minutes to Okello and Jakeele Marshall-Rutty and other young players.  Last year was a wasted year.  Javier Perez was trying to save his job and refused to play the young players.

The young players got substantial minutes in the first half of the season which is precisely why they are in the situation they are.  That being said, the two you mentioned were injured most of that time which was unfortunate for them

The DP CB being a complete bust didnt help as the major problem has been a leaky defense.  And lets face it, which team doesnt have a couple youngsters are pressed into service??  Granted they had times there where both FB, a CB and 2 wide players were rookies.  Thats way too much and I dont think that was by plan at all.  But it happened because they knew they had 3-4 big signings they couldnt finalize until mid summer..so here we are. 

Okello should be able to carve out some minutes if he gets healthy before Kaye.