Noble Okello

Dub Narcotic

4 hours ago, MauditYvon said:

I would rather see Zouhir in CPL for 2023. Rea will be in the mix, there’s 2 spots left. Replacing Koné/Mihailovic/Wanyama is impossible, we can’t expect that quality next season. Okello would be a good option for depth.

Zouhir is ready MLS, he’s subbed a bit and made the bench quite a bit and people were raving about him in pre season. Don’t think he needs to be loaned.

My secret hope is someone coverts him to CB and he uses the TFC snub to propel him to do a Kamal Miller like transformation from discarded left back to all-star central back in 2 years.  He is still young enough and he has the physical tools and technical skills. He just needs the right manager or team environment to get in his head to give him the confidence to play up to his abilities.  

19 hours ago, VinceA said:

I think he needs to reset. Perhaps the Dunn route and going to a top division in a smaller Euro league or even joining the CPL is the best option.

I wouldn't mind that but by Euro leagues he can go to as far as top divisions in smaller leagues there is Denmark or Sweden. If he were to play in either of those leagues, he could better develop. Or playing in the Championship in England or even playing Bundesliga 2nd Division.

19 hours ago, MauditYvon said:

I would rather see Zouhir in CPL for 2023. Rea will be in the mix, there’s 2 spots left. Replacing Koné/Mihailovic/Wanyama is impossible, we can’t expect that quality next season. Okello would be a good option for depth.

Really? Whenever I saw Okello I felt he would lose a race with a ketchup bottle. Also, his reaction time left a lot to be desired. I'm of the opposite opinion. Have Okello go to the CPL or the lower league MLS has in the states and give Zouhir time on the pitch.

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, jordan said:

Not a move or rumour. But picked up as a player a USL club could target

https://www.uslchampionship.com/news_article/show/1249148

If Okello and CMNT were wise, they would encourage TFC to loan him somewhere to become a CB, as it would be his smartest long term move for all concerned.   Liam Fraser would be also wise to convert to CB as well based on his defensive instincts (we know he is not the fastest) but I’m guessing he is quick enough and understands positioning very well. 

1 minute ago, A Different Perspective said:

If Okello and CMNT were wise, they would encourage TFC to loan him somewhere to become a CB, as it would be his smartest long term move for all concerned.   Liam Fraser would be also wise to convert to CB as well based on his defensive instincts (we know he is not the fastest) but I’m guessing he is quick enough and understands positioning very well. 

I think we may exaggerate the degree to which that sort of thing would play into a player’s perspective.  Barring some huge leaps in development, I am skeptical Okello has any significant impact on the Nats at this point. Admittedly he is still only 22 and a lot can happen in a couple of years, but he was challenged to get into a terrible TFC side this year.   I would think that his main priority is getting to the point where he can earn a good paycheck in his chosen profession rather than where he can maybe break into the national team.   Maybe as you say, being a CB could offer a pathway to that outcome.  But even the. I would think his potential club opportunities would be a much bigger consideration - I don’t think our lack of depth in that position in the CMNT would factor in.

(Maybe I am completely wrong on a that and it would be a factor)

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

With a guy like Okello becoming a CB, by the time he’s ready for CANMNT consideration, a guy like Rudy Camacho would be eligible for us, and a better option for the next few years.

Hey, I am with the majority here - I don’t care where we get our next CB for ‘26 and/or ‘30 … but as mentioned we need to build the depth and I don’t see Okello making it as a midfielder, but again all the power to all these fine young men pursuing their dreams

1 minute ago, A Different Perspective said:

Hey, I am with the majority here - I don’t care where we get our next CB for ‘26 and/or ‘30 … but as mentioned we need to build the depth and I don’t see Okello making it as a midfielder, but again all the power to all these fine young men pursuing their dreams

Oh, absolutely. I just think one thing we’ve seen with our team now is that mid level prospects don’t do much for us for where we’re going. Obviously “get better players” is easier said than done, but if we’re looking for a stop gap solution until the next good CB develops, then I think Camacho can at least take us through the gold cup, and hopefully by then, a guy like Justin Smith shows enough to get into the mix for example. 

5 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Not an ideal fit for the future, but as a stop gap, there are only so many options we have better than him. I think he becomes eligible next year?

We only have so many options better than a 32 year-old turnover factory?  Wow we're in worse shape than I thought.

Edited by El Hombre

2 hours ago, A Different Perspective said:

Didn`t TFC release him?

I haven't seen anything to indicate he could be a CB. I haven't seen him play much, but he doesn't seem to have the aggression needed. He is tall, but he doesn't go up and win headers. The ability to win defensive headers has more to do with mentality and the ability to track the ball in the air and meet it at your highest point, than just being tall. Obviously some height helps, but it isn't everything.

3 hours ago, Kent said:

I haven't seen anything to indicate he could be a CB. I haven't seen him play much, but he doesn't seem to have the aggression needed. He is tall, but he doesn't go up and win headers. The ability to win defensive headers has more to do with mentality and the ability to track the ball in the air and meet it at your highest point, than just being tall. Obviously some height helps, but it isn't everything.

Given the obvious facts of his stature, this is the most frustrating thing for me. He shows very little interest in heading the ball and it doesn’t seem to be something his coaches try to use (and given the obvious potential I assume that is based on what he shows in practice).  Not saying he should be a one dimensional Crouchian sort of player but, man, if I had been that big as a player I would have made better use of my advantages.   

While he's still young, I've never gotten the same feeling as I had with other young Canadian prospects I've watched. Just looks timid or scared every time I see him. Misplaces easy passes, doesn't have a high workrate, doesn't win a lot of tackles... I'm honestly not sure what he does out there other than be a big body to clog passing lanes.

My hope is he just hasn't found his position and gained his confidence yet. May be a late bloomer, but there's a lot he needs to work on. I think CPL is more his level right now.