Noble Okello

Dub Narcotic

I was disappointed in his performance against Colorado. He played as the defensive mid in a 3-1-4-2 (as Bradley often did under Vanney) and he was unwilling to move to find space when TFC had possession. I think that was a big reason TFC were unable to keep the ball and create opportunities, though they (and Colorado) seemed content to do nothing for 90 minutes. I thought that when he did have the ball his passing was crisp, but he had zero urgency to actually get possession. Compare this to a guy like Fraser, who is always demanding the ball as a deep lying midfielder.

5 hours ago, El Diego said:

I was disappointed in his performance against Colorado. He played as the defensive mid in a 3-1-4-2 (as Bradley often did under Vanney) and he was unwilling to move to find space when TFC had possession. I think that was a big reason TFC were unable to keep the ball and create opportunities, though they (and Colorado) seemed content to do nothing for 90 minutes. I thought that when he did have the ball his passing was crisp, but he had zero urgency to actually get possession. Compare this to a guy like Fraser, who is always demanding the ball as a deep lying midfielder.

The more I watch Okello, the more I think he needs to get much fitter.  He seems to completely lack an engine.  He is the opposite of Eustaquio.  I would actually say that is a bigger issue than the fact he doesn't use his size to his advantage.  Frankly, if he was fitter and had an engine, the indirect impact of that would be more aggression / use of his size.

If it isn't fitness, perhaps its confidence but he seems very slow to react out there in all facets of his game (offence, defense, on the break whether attacking or tracking back).  

• 3 weeks later...

Just unfortunate.  His physical attributes are so unique but they don’t seem like they are used in a way that allows him to excel.  He should be dominant aerially but he seems more timid than most.  He looks like he should be able to move around the field quickly but he generally is outpaced by smaller  guys (and I don’t think it is just an illusion).  

11 hours ago, Bison44 said:

NAM...so you mean he is having a Delgado game???  Hell give Okello a raise then, we are paying Delgado 580 a year for that kind of performance.

Delgado is much better than Okello.

I was super high on Noble from the CCL, he was a fearless attacking player. Now he is a guy who struggles to find space or win challenges. He rarely looked forward when he did get the ball. He was a bit better then TFC were chasing the game and started pushing forward. At one point Osorio was begging for him to find the pocket of space so Osorio could lay it of, but Okello didn't move and TFC lost the ball. Osorio was visibly upset.

I don't see him thriving in a deeper role unless something drastic changes. He's such an intriguing prospect, but he also leaves so much to be desired.

Okello is like any other young player, he needs a chance, it is very hard to judge this player on such a small sample size, I think his size influences many of us in our opinions on how he should play, I am not going to give up on him just yet! Quite honestly it was a breath of fresh air watching some of the youngsters getting a chance instead of the same old underperforming status quo, these youngsters have a chance to improve, the others don't!

Noble needs to start looking to make some forward passes.  I don’t think I have seen him push a ball offensively once this game, other than one misplaced pass directly to the opposition.   He seems to be a really defensively minded player tonight but the ability to pick out a decent attacking pass is one of the differences between a Piette and a Eustaquio type of player.   

Solid in the CDM role tonight. 

He had 5 tackles, 1 interception and a clearance. 

3/5 long balls, 92% pass accuracy but no real penetrating line splitting passes. 

Still think he is being deployed too deep but maybe he will have to develop into a better box to box player. 

1 hour ago, costarg said:

First time i've seen him play in a while.  I wasn't expecting much considering the comments i've been reading lately, but he looked great out there, calm, always at the right place, covered a lot of ground, majestic gait.  Good things to come....

Dont feel bad if what you see with your own eyes doesnt match what u read sometimes.