Noble Okello

Dub Narcotic

1 hour ago, archer21 said:

I’m gonna have to catch the replay of these games or something because the level of hype on her right now is outrageous. I really hope you guys are right, but I think maybe we should calm down a bit. Saying things like he should go a mid level EPL team for “guaranteed minutes” (not to pick on @The Observer) overstates what he’s accomplished so far in my opinion. I’d absolutely love for him to go to a team like Leeds and earn a starting spot, but I think that’s the best case scenario, not a baseline level for him.

Good points. But just a couple of clarifications. I qualified everything I said by saying “if he keeps this up”.  He will have to show over the next few months at least that he can consistently play like he did these two matches. And I said that if he does that, then he should go somewhere where he could - not would - be guaranteed minutes but that would need to be a mid-tier side.  And I use the word guarantee loosely as no one is really absolutely guaranteed minutes but you would want to see him going to a side that sees the uniqueness of his skill set and his vast potential, and makes a strong case to him that if he came that he would get minutes to demonstrate his belonging from the outset, rather than playing in the reserves or riding the bench. 

I personally believe that this is a very realistic scenario from what I have seen of him. 

I think the reason for the hype is just how unique this guy is, a unicorn as someone put it. He does things you don't expect. High ceiling guy, but also maybe low floor. I worry he could become a passenger at times, especially without the ball. But I have only seen him play two professional matches (his couple I saw with the youth nats I don't count for evaluation at this point) so I am trying not to form a crystallized opinion too soon.

19 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I do think he was good the last few matches but I agree we need to pump the brakes a bit!

He just had a long loan spell in 2nd division denmark didn't he? If he was as good as some are saying I would have expected a pretty dominant spell but I'm not sure that happened

I don't think he was dominant, but reports were that he was pretty good.  Basically, a starter from the minute he got there, and scored a couple of goals.

Having said that, I agree with you and Leo above. Let's see how he maintains his level of play in MLS.  But he did look pretty good against a top Mexican club! 

His header one-inch off the ground in the 18 yard box reminded me of how I always used to envision Garret Kusch taking a PK on a rainy day - albeit I always imagined Kusch would take a 20 yard run up to the ball, 10 yards with his legs, and the remaining 10 yards sliding along the wet turf for the diving-on-the-ground header as his teammates and the fans shouted "Fire Torpedo!" and the ball slammed into the net.

57 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

His header one-inch off the ground in the 18 yard box reminded me of how I always used to envision Garret Kusch taking a PK on a rainy day - albeit I always imagined Kusch would take a 20 yard run up to the ball, 10 yards with his legs, and the remaining 10 yards sliding along the wet turf for the diving-on-the-ground header as his teammates and the fans shouted "Fire Torpedo!" and the ball slammed into the net.

The wet dreams of a voyageur!

Matt Doyle of MLS in a Total Soccer Show podcast said 3 TFC young players could be starters based on their CCL play.

Okello: talent that jumps off the page; he is so smooth; makes plays in the final third that are just..won't call them visionary..but they just change the game; needs to work on defensive instincts a little bit; fitness clearly not there; spectacular to watch

The other two were:

Priso: classic bulldog defensive mid; always a space for this type of player especially besides an ageing Bradley

Singh: nothing special about his performance but he didn't put a foot wrong given it was his first matches

Edited by red card

20 minutes ago, red card said:

Matt Doyle of MLS in a Total Soccer Show podcast said 3 TFC young players could be starters based on their CCL play.

Okello: talent that jumps off the page; he is so smooth; makes plays in the final third that are just..won't call them visionary..but they just change the game; needs to work on defensive instincts a little bit; fitness clearly not there; spectacular to watch

The other two were:

Priso: classic bulldog defensive mid; always a space for this type of player especially besides an ageing Bradley

Singh: nothing special about his performance but he didn't put a foot wrong given it was his first matches

I don’t love Matt Doyle, but agreed the 3 look like they belong and they’ll start today. 

13 minutes ago, Kusch to the Corner said:

Really bought into the hype and have made a point of watching the TFC game today to get a look at Okello. Frankly I will be very surprised if he steps foot on the field for the second half. Not sure he has done one thing right unfortunately. Next time...

He had a couple of plays but he looked very tired, as does the entire team. 

On 4/17/2021 at 1:25 PM, Dominic94 said:

I don’t love Matt Doyle, but agreed the 3 look like they belong and they’ll start today. 

I actually like Matt Doyle. Big presence in the US soccer media and is always up to date on Canadians in MLS. He actually may over rate Canadians a little bit. I think he loved Chapman.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/19/2021 at 9:50 AM, Ruffian said:

I actually like Matt Doyle. Big presence in the US soccer media and is always up to date on Canadians in MLS. He actually may over rate Canadians a little bit. I think he loved Chapman.

Doyle for sure is a Canada stan. He LOOOVES Tajon Buchanon.

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

And it may be totally cliche, but I also think a guy like this needs to be absolutely dominant in the air.    There is no reason why he couldn’t be a target on set pieces and win everything in the air in the middle of the park.  

He looks timid, lack of confidence.

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

MEHH... Okello comes on for 10min in a game were no one did much of anything, and they are just hoping the game ends before they go down by 3.  Not sure what he was supposed to do, put Bradley on his back and carry him around the pitch??

He could start by not being knocked off the ball like a 6’5 rag doll. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

He could start by not being knocked off the ball like a 6’5 rag doll. 

I’m also frustrated by his lack of physicalness.  There’s so much potential there though... he needs the right team / situation, the right coach.  His team is a tire fire at the moment and the new regime (I know Ali isn’t new, but it’s his first season with HIS guy as coach) seems to be figuring out things on the fly... it’s almost like they are playing FIFA21 here and not operating a major professional sports franchise...Okello, Priso, Delgado, Osorio, Bradley... 5 players for 2 spots!!!  The “we are committed to play our young players” is only a great sound bite if you don’t actually have a plan on how it will play out... it’s seeming more likely that they have no plan.