General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Do you have a link? I can't find it elsewhere and the official site hasn't updated. They still have the Sept rankings https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/men?dateId=id13407

The next official update is OCtober 21. But https://football-ranking.com/fifa_rankings keeps a rolling update which has us at 48th. So technically we're unofficially 48th. It will become official in 6 days

Interesting, wonder who  you think he may be talking about? who would you like to see, that would be an improvement. I think Jan camp will be too things, the actual window and then something beforehand for the MLS players, maybe even an opportunity for some from CPL.. I wonder if the Poutine Camp could include a friendly like a Bermuda or something along that line. 

1 hour ago, narduch said:

They should have had the Edmonton tickets on sale already. Heck maybe even for January in Vancouver 

Hope they start marketing the homecoming of Davies soon, they need to keep the momentum going with the current buzz. Edmonton needs to get 50k+.

January window should be marketed as the homecoming of Davies to BC place/VWC protege

All these games are important and I think that as well will push ticket sales. These aren't friendlies..

Edited by pod818

11 minutes ago, pod818 said:

Hope they start marketing the homecoming of Davies soon, they need to keep the momentum going with the current buzz. Edmonton needs to get 50k+.

January window should be marketed as the homecoming of Davies to BC place/VWC protege

All these games are important and I think that as well will push ticket sales. These aren't friendlies..

I really want to see at least 50K for both matches in Edmonton, pack the place large x 2.

I can see that happening …Edmonton is a good soccer town supporting national team events over the years  (sorry FC ED).
And there seems a general uptick in casual support based on the game this week 

TSN you so missed the boat on buying these World Cup qualification games from One Soccer so kudos to Sportsnet for the foresight 

Seems TSN will continue to recycle cheap US programming instead……Went on a tangent …sorry guys 

Back to Edmonton -am sure the support will be strong and if Canada Soccer has the vision -market this game to all the youth teams and soccer associations in Alberta too  

18 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

That's a pretty big ask with two games close  in November.  I would consider 30k+ for Mexico a big success

There’s no question Mexico is a bigger draw, I think we can all agree.  It’s probably better the Mexico game is on the Tuesday.  If it had been the other way around, we’d jam commonwealth Friday and see a mediocre crowd the Tuesday.  This does help counter that

13 minutes ago, johnyb said:

Holy Sh**! I was expecting 5-10 minutes to be polite to James Sharman. The whole podcast was dedicated to the CMNT!! Nothing new in there but worth a listen.

I know we should support soccer media coverage but after the completely dismissive attitude McCowen has always had towards soccer I can’t bring myself give him the traffic.  

Not to be too evangelical here--in a secular fashion, of course--but one would think that we should be able to grow our ranks (i.e. the Vees) significantly over the next several months.  We should have little postcards or business cards to hand out at games. The larger we can build our base, the more influence we can have, and the more good we can do for our national team.  At minimum, keep spreading the word about this site to everyone you meet at these games.

3 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

And we know of Buchanan for sure. Maybe Osorio and Layrea.

Layrea, Kaye and Johnston are all good guesses. In the past they have been linked with Besiktas, Genk and Reading respectively.

I can also see ZBG moving. He has been great again this season and still only 22. He also has some club called Lyon on his resume.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him go to a Montpillier, Nice or Bordeaux.

No secret I am a big fan. 

1 hour ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Not to be too evangelical here--in a secular fashion, of course--but one would think that we should be able to grow our ranks (i.e. the Vees) significantly over the next several months.  We should have little postcards or business cards to hand out at games. The larger we can build our base, the more influence we can have, and the more good we can do for our national team.  At minimum, keep spreading the word about this site to everyone you meet at these games.

Coaching my U12s this week, I overheard, for the first time in my life, a group of kids saying to each other, "Did you see that Canada game last night? That goal was epic!"

You and I have been at this for a long time - didn't we meet on the drive around the time of Gold Cup 2000? The fact that after decades of slogging it through mostly misery and disappointment, the next generation, our work mates, our neighbours, our nephews and own kids are EXCITED about this team, BOTH national programs, is beyond even my most wildest football fantasies.

2 hours ago, johnyb said:

Holy Sh**! I was expecting 5-10 minutes to be polite to James Sharman. The whole podcast was dedicated to the CMNT!! Nothing new in there but worth a listen.

i like james,but he seems to be a euro snob kinda of guy,do some research some pretty good players have said no to Canada,and im sure herdman could get a job in europe if he wanted

Just now, nolando said:

Coaching my U12s this week, I overheard, for the first time in my life, a group of kids saying to each other, "Did you see that Canada game last night? That goal was epic!"

You and I have been at this for a long time - didn't we meet on the drive around the time of Gold Cup 2000? The fact that after decades of slogging it through mostly misery and disappointment, the next generation, our work mates, our neighbours, our nephews and own kids are EXCITED about this team, BOTH national programs, is beyond even my most wildest football fantasies.

Was speaking with a sport-dads at my son’s volleyball game tonight and they were talking about the Jays (🤮).  I said that it was my obligation to point out that there was a pretty awesome soccer game recently.   One guy had watched, other had caught bits of it, and everyone knew about THE GOAL.  One guy even mentioned that he remembered Leonarduzzi in the ‘86 WC.  I guarantee these are not normally soccer guys so that tells me about the kind of penetration we are getting right now.  It may not be making everyone a diehard fan but we are getting people interested and they are paying attention.  If we can keep building on this momentum, the excitement around a possible Qatar will only grow.