General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

As much as I don’t like his persona, Drake is a global icon. Call him a “jock sniffer” (what an old man term) when it comes to seeing him with Tyson Fury, or next up college players…..but the guy is more Canadian than a lot of us, and literally put Toronto/Canada on the map.

This is the free marketing we need. This can only contribute to more funding which we need.

I’ve never really liked Craig Forrest, reminds me of the Canada coaches within each association we don’t need.

2 minutes ago, Mattd97 said:

Such a bad look and disappointing tweet from someone still around the program. Drake has donated/sponsored/helped raise millions of dollars for Canada Basketball and local basketball programs and courts. Are you putting that money in to the soccer program Craig? Then STFU cause he may. No one cares you don't like his music, image, or his fandom cause all the players who matter certainly seem to.  I'm not some huge drake guy  and was very leery when the raptors partnership started, but there's zero question he has helped their image with players and if he can do that for guys like Flores, Jebbison, etc that's a huge potential win. Especially as a dual citizen himself who chooses to represent canada.

Sit down boomer

Agreed. I guarantee you if CSA had brains and could somehow spin the interaction with Drake into some kind of OVO deal, like an OVOxCanada Jersey/Merch collection, every player and every Canadian (not even fan) under 30 would be constantly wearing it and we'd have enough in the bank for all the Camp Poutines we could want until 2026

6 minutes ago, Mattd97 said:

Such a bad look and disappointing tweet from someone still around the program. Drake has donated/sponsored/helped raise millions of dollars for Canada Basketball and local basketball programs and courts. Are you putting that money in to the soccer program Craig? Then STFU cause he may. No one cares you don't like his music, image, or his fandom cause all the players who matter certainly seem to.  I'm not some huge drake guy  and was very leery when the raptors partnership started, but there's zero question he has helped their image with players and if he can do that for guys like Flores, Jebbison, etc that's a huge potential win. Especially as a dual citizen himself who chooses to represent canada.

Sit down boomer

Easy there, junior. I'm a boomer and you liked my post where I called out Forrest for his stupid tweet. See? Not all boomers are boomers.😉

Edited by Sal333

6 minutes ago, Shway said:

Call him a “jock sniffer” (what an old man term)

Also seems pretty damn homophobic

https://twitter.com/craigforrest1/status/1448481405437190150?t=LOAnackBVKZvsdmfjAsunQ&s=19

I'm not even sure one can have a "bandwagon" half way through a world cup qualifying as the 49th ranked team in the world hoping to make their first world cup in 35 years. A team that's your home and natural team none the less. dont even think he knows what that word means.  Here's an obvious time to become a fan -- loser I can't believe you're becoming a fan now 

Screenshot_20211015-110138_Twitter.jpg

Edited by Mattd97

1 minute ago, Sal333 said:

Easy there, junior. I'm a boomer and you liked my post where I called out Forrest for his stupid tweet. See not all boomers are boomers.😉

I guess our saving grace is that not too many people follow him? But the major negative is that he has the Canada Soccer logo as his profile picture, so not a great look if that were to catch eyeballs

12 minutes ago, Mattd97 said:

I'm not far off, but if ever there was an appropriate time for an Okay Boomer moment, that was it

That tweet doesn't come off as a tweet from a boomer. It comes off as sour grapes. He didn't get the attention these boys are getting. I'm sorry Craig, you were a great goaltender probably the best we had but that doesn't give you the right to dis Drake and for fucksakes I don't even like Drake. (P.S. I still haven't got over the fact that the world moved on from the Beatles. .......Okay I'm joking........Ok Ok I'm half joking..... Hey Jude....anyone)

Edited by Sal333

16 minutes ago, Shway said:

As much as I don’t like his persona, Drake is a global icon......

This is the free marketing we need. This can only contribute to more funding which we need.

100%.  Not a fan of influencers ( just pissed I have to work hard to earn my money) but you cant ignore their impact on what drives trends and sales. The CSA desperately needs an infusion of sponsors, new fans and improved cash flow.  

The funny thing is our biggest dramas (or faux dramas) seem to revolve around social media.  

Huitema tweeting before a big game. 
Phonzie-gate.  
Forrest being dumb.  

It is what it is.  I agree that is was a dumb and shortsighted tweet.  Hopefully it will fade away and not deter Drake (and hopefully others) from climbing aboard the bandwagon.

There is plenty of room and we have been keeping the seats warm for you.  

Easy now..I am definately in the old man yelling at clouds demographic, but this seems like a whole lot of nothing to me.  You guys didnt catch the sportsguy ranting at John Cusak, telling him he was banned and couldnt cheer for the Whitesox outside the stadium??  Forrest in in Canada sports hall of fame, as well as the soccer hall of fame, all time best 11 keeper etc etc etc.  Given it all for canada on the field, worked hard in the broadcast booth when our sports channels only wanted guys with accents..so I think he can have a comment or two about Drake grabbing headlines from the team.  Sour grapes, old man who doesnt get it, a media guy should know better, sure maybe but I get it. 

The sad thing is Drake will probably do more to promote the game with some pics and tweets over the next few months (if he stays interested) than a player like Forrest did his whole life.  I guess you have to be old to understand how that feels, to see a legacy of 30 years of work trampled on by someone you think is a goober.  But..we need a big tent, there should be room for everyone...so lets see if Drake stays interested and can work to help fill Edmonton up in Nov...or get some corp sponsors, maybe even put on a York jersey and help the CPL out, HAHAHA.    

16 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Easy now..I am definately in the old man yelling at clouds demographic, but this seems like a whole lot of nothing to me.  You guys didnt catch the sportsguy ranting at John Cusak, telling him he was banned and couldnt cheer for the Whitesox outside the stadium??  Forrest in in Canada sports hall of fame, as well as the soccer hall of fame, all time best 11 keeper etc etc etc.  Given it all for canada on the field, worked hard in the broadcast booth when our sports channels only wanted guys with accents..so I think he can have a comment or two about Drake grabbing headlines from the team.  Sour grapes, old man who doesnt get it, a media guy should know better, sure maybe but I get it. 

The sad thing is Drake will probably do more to promote the game with some pics and tweets over the next few months (if he stays interested) than a player like Forrest did his whole life.  I guess you have to be old to understand how that feels, to see a legacy of 30 years of work trampled on by someone you think is a goober.  But..we need a big tent, there should be room for everyone...so lets see if Drake stays interested and can work to help fill Edmonton up in Nov...or get some corp sponsors, maybe even put on a York jersey and help the CPL out, HAHAHA.    

Look, I love Forrest.  He was a giant between the pipes for us.  He would be the keeper in our all time best 11 and he is a deserving member of our HoF.  

But none of that changes the fact that this is a dumb thing to say and contrary to the best interest of the sport and country that he obviously cares about.  In an age dominated by social media, a massive global entertainment icon just shone a spotlight on one of the most notable (and meme-able) moments in our soccer history.  It doesn’t matter if someone is not a big fan of Drake’s music, or that there could be a perception of him trying to jump onto the next big thing in Canadian sports.  This will raise the profile of the player/team/game in this country and abroad - and that is all that matters.  

Good for Craig, as an old lump a coal, I get it and think it's hilarious.  My boss was always talking about us meeting Drake and we were laughing like who the hell is he to us.  It's a generational thing, it would be like asking a kid today if he wanted to meet Steve Miller or Supertramp, they wouldn't give a poop.

We used to call Drake the bath mat guy, in the pictures we had he was going around wearing something that looked like the bath mat you had on the floor of your shower. :)

I get the influence thing and I get (but don't understand) influencers but I guess when you are addicted to having a smartphone in your hands for 16 hours a day, I guess that's what happens, people get indoctrinated into one form of ideology or another.

I knocked that guy before but that was an interesting tweet.  Don't know if it will mean anything or have something come to fruition but it was a good potential headsup.  I wouldn't mind seeing many of them in the Championship.  I especially would like Crepeau to go somewhere a level higher, hell I guess I should say all of them.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

Nam if you think anything that Forrest tweets will make any difference then you and I and Forrest are all in the same old man rotary phone, take pictures with a camera club.  There are a million people Drake reaches with his influencer stuff and about 2 dozen guys who know who forrest is or even cares about his grouchy old man hot take. 

Over the years he has seen dark times, years of stupid jokes by the myriad of hockey fanboys, the CDN soccer channels shit can the soccer journos, or only keep guys with thick accents.  I can understand the sour grapes.  its just too bad he put it out in public...makes him look petty in what should be a very exciting time for soccer in canada.  

Just now, Bison44 said:

Nam if you think anything that Forrest tweets will make any difference then you and I and Forrest are all in the same old man rotary phone, take pictures with a camera club.  There are a million people Drake reaches with his influencer stuff and about 2 dozen guys who know who forrest is or even cares about his grouchy old man hot take. 

Over the years he has seen dark times, years of stupid jokes by the myriad of hockey fanboys, the CDN soccer channels shit can the soccer journos, or only keep guys with thick accents.  I can understand the sour grapes.  its just too bad he put it out in public...makes him look petty in what should be a very exciting time for soccer in canada.  

Yeah, I get it.  And it isn’t likely to have an impact as you said.  It just seems really petty and unnecessary - at a time when we should all be getting as many eyes on this team as possible.  

1 minute ago, frmr said:

What is the basis of this? Why only some players?

England has standard to qualify for a Visa , it is based on the ranking of your national team, the percentage of their games you have played in. Canada moving up the rankings would change things for some players in terms of qualifying for a visa. 

Only problem is, in today's society, people (and I use that term loosely) will not see that as a joke, or sour grapes, a stupid thing to say or even a man exercising what was once free speech.  They will see it as a thing to be destroyed, career, life, the whole shebang and that is the biggest form of cowardice.

Twitter mob lynching to begin in 3,2,1...

I think its hilarious.. I really believe the whole Drake is so amazing this and that.. is more of a Toronto thing. I dont hate the guy, his music is ah ok and he does rep Canada.. but at this point he just stays relevant by being a cheesy culture vulture hooking his wagon to anything with a buzz(kinda like his rap career) I'm just indifferent and after the whole, I like my chips with dip comment, I realized this guy is just a massive corn dog with a giant platform 

2 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Agreed. I guarantee you if CSA had brains and could somehow spin the interaction with Drake into some kind of OVO deal, like an OVOxCanada Jersey/Merch collection, every player and every Canadian (not even fan) under 30 would be constantly wearing it and we'd have enough in the bank for all the Camp Poutines we could want until 2026

This should be fairly easy to pull off given the Nike connection (assuming all parties are even interested, of course).

Drake's a huge Nike spokesman/partner (probably their second biggest after Michael Jordan), Phonzie's a Nike-sponsored athlete, and of course Canada Soccer is now under the Nike merch banner.

11 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

More like 150 million+.

1 minute ago, SpursFlu said:

I think its hilarious.. I really believe the whole Drake is so amazing this and that.. is more of a Toronto thing. I dont hate the guy, his music is ah ok and he does rep Canada.. but at this point he just stays relevant by being a cheesy culture vulture hooking his wagon to anything with a buzz(kinda like his rap career) I'm just indifferent and after the whole, I like my chips with dip comment, I realized this guy is just a massive corn dog with a giant platform 

Bingo!

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

This whole Drake thing will give the players exposure to those who would never even think about the CMNT. It’s free advertising that the CSA has to take advantage of. Drake basically splashed the team all over the place. 

6 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Your post has determined

*checks card*

That was a lie

(Also he has 3x the population of Canada following him on instagram, but sure, yeah, just a toronto thing)

Edited by Mattd97