General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

The thing about recruiting Kadioglu is that the hardest thing for the next cycle will be retiring and replacing a number of players, particularly starters (Vittoria, Atiba, Hoilett, Osorio, Wotherspoon) and maybe replacing a few others who might be on the downside (Cav, MAK, Piette, Borjan). That's 9 of the probable top 25 players in the pool.  

Looking at the past couple of youth team rosters listed on Wiki ..... Bereft. Priso and Shaffelburg, maybe Choiniere. But are any of them all that good? Beyond that, a lot of dudes floating between CanPL and It also seems like over the course of the last year, the hype train on a number of prospects has started floating off the Port of Los Angeles. 

There are a number of potential replacement for each loss. But it's a lot more if than when. And the picture looks worse than a year ago. 

Unlike a lot of the prospects, Ferdi is actually doing well in a respectable league. You have to keep that in mind when considering options. 

Edited by One American

4 minutes ago, One American said:

The thing about recruiting Kadioglu is that the hardest thing for the next cycle will be retiring and replacing a number of players, particularly starters (Vittoria, Atiba, Hoilett, Osorio, Wotherspoon) and maybe replacing a few others who might be on the downside (Cav, MAK, Piette, Borjan). That's 9 of the probable top 25 players in the pool.  

Looking at the past couple of youth team rosters ..... Bereft. Priso and Shaffelburg, maybe Choiniere. But are any of them all that good? Beyond that, a lot of dudes floating between CanPL and It also seems like over the course of the last year, the hype train on a number of prospects has started floating off the Port of Los Angeles. 

There are a number of potential replacement for each loss. But it's a lot more if than when. And the picture looks worse than a year ago. 

Unlike a lot of the prospects, Ferdi is actually doing well in a respectable league. You have to keep that in mind when considering options. 

Borjan has said he will retire in the next few years.  You don’t think Oso can play the next cycle?

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This would be hard on a player, but I think it happens pretty well for every team, every World Cup. There are always guys left off who feel hard done by.

Later injuries are also common (including very dumb ones--Cañizares then Valencia keeper was left of the Spain 2002 WC squad because a flask of cologne shattered in his hands in the shower and lacerated his hands.)

For example, if Atiba is injured, and not getting much minutes, and can't get minutes for Canada or his club team, and is even contemplating retirement this upcoming June, you may have to leave him off. Does Besiktas have to give him another year's contract if they don't think he can contribute on the pitch, just to help him get to Qatar? I am not sure about that, though they seem to love him and must might. 

Any of the guys not regularly starting could get left off, though our lack of depth at CB might save a Cornelius and see us lose a Wotherspoon or Fraser. Whatever Shaffelberg or Pasher do they are unlikely to go, if the rest of the attackers are fit--they have too little margin to show much more than they have. Then others not playing much, like Piette, would most likely go regardless of his upcoming season, since we don't have much cover like that in the defensive middle. 

If we make it, Atiba has to be there. If he doesn't have the quality to make the 23 come WC2022, then make him an Assistant or even a waterboy for all I care. We need him in the room and he's earned his spot. 

2 hours ago, One American said:

Looking at the past couple of youth team rosters listed on Wiki ..... Bereft. Priso and Shaffelburg, maybe Choiniere. But are any of them all that good? Beyond that, a lot of dudes floating between CanPL and It also seems like over the course of the last year, the hype train on a number of prospects has started floating off the Port of Los Angeles. 

Kaye is 26 so still should have juice left for the next cycle.  Same goes for Sammy Piette.  The others you mentioned I tend to agree with.  

In terms of replacements I don’t think things are bleak at all.   In midfield, Priso is definitely on the right path.  His biggest negative is that he plays the same position as Staq.  But at 18 he was absolutely at home in MLS so I think his ceiling is high.   JMR, despite all the debate, only turned 17 a few months ago and should still mature into someone who can fit in and contribute at that level.  And I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Nelson (19) ended up developing into something like the playmaking midfielder we had previously expected.  Even Shaffelburg at 21 has shown enough recent progress that I think he could be a solid contributor.  Keep in mind that it took a while before guys like Oso and Laryea were ready for this level.

In defence we still have Cornelius (23) maturing (not sure if he is in your “top 25”) and from the sounds of things Halbouni (21) is making serious progress. Along with Johnston (23) and Kennedy (24), there is a solid core there - though we will still be a bit thin.  But given where we are now it doesn’t seem like we will be worse off.  

In attack, we are obviously fine.  Davies, David, and Akinola will all be around for 19 years.  If Ennin can continue showing well in the top Russian League he will likely join that pool sooner rather than later.   

And none of this takes into consideration the guys we haven’t heard of yet.  A few years ago, almost no one here knew about Johnston, David was just starting to make waves, and Davies was just a kid with a bunch of potential.   

None of this tries to dismiss the idea of recruiting a Ferdi, a Marcelo, or a Jebbison.  But if they choose not to join up with our exciting team, we will be just fine.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I get that.  But if a big part of your mantra has been building a team mentality and focusing on cohesion, this has the potential to impact that a bit.  

Not for fringe players being included or dropped based on necessity and/or form.  

5 hours ago, One American said:

What are you smoking??  Johnston (23) started his canada carer this year and you can pencil him in as RB for the next 2 cycles.  Buchanon (22) was just starting to take off last year come playoff time and now looks like he can be a starter for the next 2 cycles.  Thats just 2 guys that have become starters and they were almost not existent in our program a year ago.  Corbeanu made his first apperance this year.....same with Akinola (21)...all this happened in the last year, all can be a backbone of a team for the next 8 years, how can the picture look worse than a year ago??

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

What are you smoking??  Johnston (23) started his canada carer this year and you can pencil him in as RB for the next 2 cycles.  Buchanon (22) was just starting to take off last year come playoff time and now looks like he can be a starter for the next 2 cycles.  Thats just 2 guys that have become starters and they were almost not existent in our program a year ago.  Corbeanu made his first apperance this year.....same with Akinola (21)...all this happened in the last year, all can be a backbone of a team for the next 8 years, how can the picture look worse than a year ago??

Stupid people naturally see stupid things. 🙄

Yeah, it's a fools errand to try to guess who will emerge in the next few years. Which players did we see coming 2+ years before their national team debut? Probably pretty much only the dual nationals that held out. I'm not going to go one by one through our recent squads to see where they all were a couple years before their national team debut, but there are definitely lots of examples, and I would guess the majority of them weren't the type of guys people were saying they would be with the team a couple years later.

7 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

replacing a number of players, particularly starters (Vittoria, Atiba, Hoilett, Osorio, Wotherspoon) and maybe replacing a few others who might be on the downside (Cav, MAK, Piette, Borjan).

Forget the fact that we have no clue what talent will emerge between now and 2026 - Cav, Oso, MAK are all young enough that they will be back next cycle unless better and younger talent surpasses them. Piette is barely in the squad this cycle and will be off just because of quality. Hoilett and Wotherspoon won't be incredibly old at 36 and 35, but I would hope that younger guys will have pushed them out of the picture by that point. Borjan's replacement is evident and, debatably, has already/will soon equal/surpass him. But he, Atiba, and Vitoria will be happily retired having outperformed the Americans in Qatar 2022.

So all in all, incredibly incorrect assessment

Edited by Approve My Account Pls

3 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Forget the fact that we have no clue what talent will emerge between now and 2026 - Cav, Oso, MAK are all young enough that they will be back next cycle unless better and younger talent surpasses them. Piette is barely in the squad this cycle and will be off just because of quality. Hoilett and Wotherspoon won't be incredibly old at 36 and 35, but I would hope that younger guys will have pushed them out of the picture by that point. Borjan's replacement is evident and, debatably, has already/will soon equal/surpass him. But he, Atiba, and Vitoria will be happily retired having outperformed the Americans in Qatar 2022.

So all in all, incredibly incorrect assessment

Just FYI - that isn’t my text being quoted.  It is OA’s.  

10 hours ago, One American said:

Just look at the players who have emerged for us since last cycle in 2016. The next generation is even better. We are more than fine.

21 hours ago, One American said:

Completely asinine statement. A year ago Buchanan and Johnston weren't even in the national team picture, now they're two of the first names on Herdman's team sheet.

With more players in MLS, plus CPL continuing to grow, the player pool is getting deeper by the year. Not the opposite, which you are implying.

2 years ago we looked desperate for defenders.

Suddenly Laryea and Johnston emerged and our FB position looks set.

Kennedy, Miller and Cornelius emerge/solidify and we are fine at CB as well.

The system infrastructure that has been set up with L1O, PQSL and the CanPL has basically created an expanded funnel that will keep turning up talent.  Not to mention the fact that it has established a domestic  talent floor for the Men’s program.  

8-10 years ago if anyone was drafted in the MLS we were immediately giving them caps and starts. We were regularly starting players in the 3rd divisions of European league setups and multiple players that had no club setup at all.  Those days are long gone now and aside from the rare case where a star player is in between contracts that is pretty much never going to happen again.

The program has progressed to the point that we expect away wins against everyone but the US and Mexico and we are disappointed by away draws.  We expect to get a result at home against the US and Mexico.  We are playing for away points against those teams, not just trying to get blown away.

Canada’s program has transformed unlike any other country in the world these last 4 years.  There is no going back and the program is built to last this way.  I’m not worried about sliding back to something poor again.  The sleeping (relative) giant of CONCACAF has awoken.

On 10/17/2021 at 8:59 PM, Kent said:

To add a tiny bit to what @baulderdash77just said, the new BC league is starting up next year as well. Hopefully that can help develop players in the west like L1O and PLSQ have done in their provinces.

Should be noted that perusing through the usual call-ups for Canada and what a strongest XI or even 23 looks like, there's a huge dearth of BC products playing for us right now.

That needs to be a wake-up call. Vancouver touts itself for it's development but other than Davies and having a few guys who play for their first team their ain't much going on for the senior team.

39 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Should be noted that perusing through the usual call-ups for Canada and what a strongest XI or even 23 looks like, there's a huge dearth of BC products playing for us right now.

That needs to be a wake-up call. Vancouver touts itself for it's development but other than Davies and having a few guys who play for their first team their ain't much going on for the senior team.

Yes exactly. Hopefully the new league in BC can play a part in developing more players. Even if it's more of a rising tide kind of way in supplying better players for the CPL rather than outright developing a Davies level talent. For example the PLSQ, I'm not sure if there are any national team players that have played in PLSQ or not, but they have provided some of the more exciting players in CPL. If I'm not mistaken, Farsi, Abzi, and Toussaint are all from PLSQ. I'm sure there are others, and will definitely be others, especially once CPL is able to expand into Quebec.

19 minutes ago, Kent said:

Yes exactly. Hopefully the new league in BC can play a part in developing more players. Even if it's more of a rising tide kind of way in supplying better players for the CPL rather than outright developing a Davies level talent. For example the PLSQ, I'm not sure if there are any national team players that have played in PLSQ or not, but they have provided some of the more exciting players in CPL. If I'm not mistaken, Farsi, Abzi, and Toussaint are all from PLSQ. I'm sure there are others, and will definitely be others, especially once CPL is able to expand into Quebec.

We've had PLSQ represented at the U23 level and probably will at the U20 level soon too.

Canadians in MLS

Player Team Position GP GS MP G A
Richie Laryea Toronto RB 25 24 2114 2 1
Russell Teibert Vancouver CM 29 25 2061 1 2
Kamal Miller Montreal CB 23 22 2017 0 3
Alistair Johnston Nashville RB 22 20 1784 1 1
Zach Brault-Guillard Montreal RB 26 19 1711 2 3
Mathieu Choiniere Montreal CM 22 20 1646 2 0
Mark Anthony Kaye Colorado CM 21 20 1604 1 3
Tajon Buchanan New England RW 24 17 1543 7 5
Joel Waterman Montreal CB 18 17 1509 0 3
Samuel Piette Montreal CM 21 16 1451 1 2
Cristian Gutierrez Vancouver LB 16 16 1409 0 3
Jonathan Osorio Toronto CM 21 16 1408 4 1
Tesho Akindele Orlando ST 29 15 1301 3 5
Zorhan Bassong Montreal LB 24 13 1233 0 1
Michael Baldisimo Vancouver CM 20 12 1227 0 0
Lucas Cavallini Vancouver ST 17 14 1192 3 1
Jay Chapman Miami CM 21 12 1056 0 1
Liam Fraser Columbus (from Toronto) CM 20 10 1028 0 0
Raheem Edwards Los Angeles LW 23 11 1024 0 0
Jacob Shaffelburg Toronto LW 17 9 815 3 3
Tyler Pasher Houston ST 16 9 776 4 3
Ayo Akinola Toronto ST 11 8 649 3 0
Ralph Priso Toronto CM 11 7 575 1 2
Noble Okello Toronto CM 10 7 539 1 0
Luke Singh Toronto CB 6 5 447 1 0
Ashtone Morgan Salt Lake LB 8 4 371 0 0
Ryan Raposo Vancouver CM 20 3 366 0 2
Patrick Metcalfe Vancouver CM 13 4 361 0 0
Clement Bayiha Montreal RB 10 2 281 0 0
Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty Toronto CM 7 1 195 0 1
Tosaint Ricketts Vancouver ST 14 0 173 0 0
Jayden Nelson Toronto RW 4 2 144 0 0
Derek Cornelious Vancouver (to Panetolikos) CB 5 1 144 0 0
Marcus Godinho Vancouver RB 4 1 114 0 0
Jordan Peruzza Toronto (to San Antonio) ST 3 0 74 0 0
Kamron Habibullah Vancouver CM 3 0 34 0 0
Theo Bair Vancouver ST 4 0 27 0 0
Ballou Jean-Yves Tabla Montreal ST 2 0 19 0 0
Rida Zouhir Montreal CM 2 0 16 0 0
Damiano Pecile Vancouver (to Venezia) CM          
Simon Colyn Vancouver (to SPAL) CM          
Gianfranco Facchineri Vancouver CB          
Matteo Campagna Vancouver CM          
Rocco Romeo Toronto (to Valour) CB          
Julian Dunn-Johnson Toronto CB          
Sean Rea Montreal (to Valour FC) CM          
Tomas Giraldo Montreal (to FC Edmonton) CM          
Karifa Yao Montreal (to Cavalry FC) CB          
Keesean Ferdinand Montreal (to Atletico Ottawa) CB          
Ismael Kone Montreal CM          
Jean-Aniel Assi Montreal ST          
Nathan-Dylan Saliba Montreal CM          
Callum Montgomery Minnesota (to San Diego) CB          

Player Team Position GP GS MP S GA
Maxime Crepeau Vancouver GK 23 23 2070 77 27
James Pantemis Montreal GK 17 17 1530 48 26
Thomas Hasal Vancouver GK 7 7 630 20 14
Sebastian Breza Montreal (from Bologna) GK 5 5 450 13 5
Dayne St Clair Minnesota GK 4 4 360 11 10
Greg Ranjitsingh Philadelphia GK          
Isaac Boehmer Vancouver GK          
Jonathan Sirois Montreal (to Valour FC) GK          
Edited by Corazon

Canadians in MLS Continued

Players - 32 - Minutes - 31,309 - Goals - 42 - Assists - 36

Players - 41 - Minutes - 26,227 - Goals - 35 - Assists - 27

2020 (Calculated to a 34 Game Season)

Players - 41 - Minutes - 38,770 - Goals - 52 - Assists - 40

Players - 44 - Minutes - 39,478 - Goals - 40 - Assists - 46

We have already surpassed the total Canadian players and total minutes played by Canadians over the past 3 seasons.  I do not have the statistics on previous MLS seasons but I would believe those are already two new record highs for Canadians in MLS history.  Not bad considering all the injuries to some regulars this season.  Gutierrez probably missed about 15 games.  Osorio 10 games.  Cavallini 10 games.  Pasher 15 games.  Ayo will miss about 25 games.  Priso will miss about 15 games as well.

Many of those players listed above that had injuries would normally contribute to goals & assists.  Cavallini, Osorio, Pasher & Ayo in particular would have contributed to more goals and assists.

Edited by Corazon