General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Was speaking with a sport-dads at my son’s volleyball game tonight and they were talking about the Jays (🤮).  I said that it was my obligation to point out that there was a pretty awesome soccer game recently.   One guy had watched, other had caught bits of it, and everyone knew about THE GOAL.  One guy even mentioned that he remembered Leonarduzzi in the ‘86 WC.  I guarantee these are not normally soccer guys so that tells me about the kind of penetration we are getting right now.  It may not be making everyone a diehard fan but we are getting people interested and they are paying attention.  If we can keep building on this momentum, the excitement around a possible Qatar will only grow.  

They may not be "soccer guys" but they're most likely Drake fans.  That's probably where they heard about it.

After the mat3ch on Wednesday , on my train ride home I talked to a few guys who were at the Leaf game  and the first thing they asked me was about Davies Goal, and how was the game. The next morning at work some guys who I thought could care less about The CMNT or Soccer in General were talikg about the Wednesday's game . I think we have finally turned the corner guys.

1 hour ago, reggietfc said:

i like james,but he seems to be a euro snob kinda of guy,do some research some pretty good players have said no to Canada,and im sure herdman could get a job in europe if he wanted

I haven't listened to that video, but I have never gotten the sense that Sharman is a Euro snob at all. I worked at The Score years ago, when he had a famous/infamous interview with Jonathan De Guzman, talking about his brother's interest in joining the CMNT growing. We had an office party shortly after that and I chatted with him for probably 10-20 minutes about the game in Canada. He knows about the guys you are referring to and is absolutely supportive of the local game (heck, he was in that Support Local Football video from years ago that was just linked in another thread).

I am interested in watching the video, despite not liking the other 2 guys. I expect a lot of cringing on my part.

image.png.a3cdf70d8e6ea972b1100480b91c8762.png

I love De Ro, but how long before he isn't even in the the top 5 in scoring? By the 2026 World Cup could we have all of Larin, David, Cavallini, Davies, and Buchanan ahead of him? Maybe a surprise player emerging, like Corbeanu, Jebbison, Flores, or someone else? Probably hard for someone that hasn't scored any goals yet to catch up that quick (without Nations League qualifying, or WCQ against minnows in that time), but I think it's possible De Ro is outside the top 5 by 2026, or maybe by the end of the 2026 World Cup.

6 minutes ago, Kent said:

I haven't listened to that video, but I have never gotten the sense that Sharman is a Euro snob at all. I worked at The Score years ago, when he had a famous/infamous interview with Jonathan De Guzman, talking about his brother's interest in joining the CMNT growing. We had an office party shortly after that and I chatted with him for probably 10-20 minutes about the game in Canada. He knows about the guys you are referring to and is absolutely supportive of the local game (heck, he was in that Support Local Football video from years ago that was just linked in another thread).

I am interested in watching the video, despite not liking the other 2 guys. I expect a lot of cringing on my part.

they asked him if any players had rejected to play for canada,he said no,there are couple guys playing in italy who said no,you are a soccer broadcaster in canada i think you should know that,the euro snob part is that herdman is not ready to coach in europe,he should coach in mls first,if he takes canada to the WC,im sure he would get some offers from europe

24 minutes ago, Kent said:

You may have noticed I have been posting a lot of videos from varied sources and opinions.  This chat was actually pretty good going over quite a few things.  At one point Shannon asked about players who had refused Canada and he mentioned about a famous one.  I think he meant the Ho but JDG2 came to Sharman's mind.  Because it was a little different than the usual fare we've been seeing lately, I rather enjoyed it.

15 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Agreed. I guarantee you if CSA had brains and could somehow spin the interaction with Drake into some kind of OVO deal, like an OVOxCanada Jersey/Merch collection, every player and every Canadian (not even fan) under 30 would be constantly wearing it and we'd have enough in the bank for all the Camp Poutines we could want until 2026

now your talking  this is what we need to grow the game here

11 hours ago, Cblake said:

Interesting, wonder who  you think he may be talking about? who would you like to see, that would be an improvement. I think Jan camp will be too things, the actual window and then something beforehand for the MLS players, maybe even an opportunity for some from CPL.. I wonder if the Poutine Camp could include a friendly like a Bermuda or something along that line. 

It could only be Ennin as someone new, Corbeanu if he's getting minutes, or getting Kennedy back in. 

If he's convinced Arfield that'd be great. Amanda in Austria is the only other in a decent top flight. Ferreira, still unattached? Bair may be sold to a team then in Norway top flight, but he'll be in the off season. 

Dias maybe is close but not quite there, and maybe the same with Koover at Braga: if they can start to see first team minutes they have to be considered. 

7 hours ago, gigi riva said:

Not the biggest fan of Drake"s Music but Im glad he is sticking his nose into the CMNT  we need this sort of endorsement and I say keep it up

I will go a step further.  He is a celebrity with a global reach, and unlike many others, he is still unabashedly Canadian.  He is clearly and explicitly making a point of being involved with Canadian sports - when it would be extremely easy to get pulled into the vortex of US culture of celebrity worship.  

10 hours ago, Kent said:

image.png.a3cdf70d8e6ea972b1100480b91c8762.png

I love De Ro, but how long before he isn't even in the the top 5 in scoring? By the 2026 World Cup could we have all of Larin, David, Cavallini, Davies, and Buchanan ahead of him? Maybe a surprise player emerging, like Corbeanu, Jebbison, Flores, or someone else? Probably hard for someone that hasn't scored any goals yet to catch up that quick (without Nations League qualifying, or WCQ against minnows in that time), but I think it's possible De Ro is outside the top 5 by 2026, or maybe by the end of the 2026 World Cup.

To a certain extent, there is the possibility that this current group may be pulling the ladder up behind them for the next group that comes after them.  If they push up our rankings, there would be no need for the next Canadian teams to play the minnows and early qualifying rounds.  Larin, David, and Cavallini have been able to boost their numbers because of these games and I imagine their ratio will fall as qualifying progresses simply due to the calibre of the opponent improving.

That being said, they were given the opportunity to score lots of goals and they took advantage of it.  There were very few 1-0 wins.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It could only be Ennin as someone new, Corbeanu if he's getting minutes, or getting Kennedy back in. 

If he's convinced Arfield that'd be great. Amanda in Austria is the only other in a decent top flight. Ferreira, still unattached? Bair may be sold to a team then in Norway top flight, but he'll be in the off season. 

Dias maybe is close but not quite there, and maybe the same with Koover at Braga: if they can start to see first team minutes they have to be considered. 

Perhaps he could also include a look at the Paton brothers, Halbouni assuming a first team call, and a switch for Ferdi and Jebbison? (preferably the latter two)

If we get good results next window (4-6pts), qualification would look very promising.  I wonder if Herdman makes the pitch to some of these duals if they want in to the potential Qatar squad you better join the party now? Not to get ahead of anything because nothing is certain yet but I find it interesting to think about. 

Obviously form, injuries and player development next summer would change things but I am curious how Herdman would play it. 

16 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That is where high profile coverage of Phonzie’s wonder goal could come in handy.  For any dual who is seriously on the fence, that sort of thing has to make you sit up and take notice.  

Agreed. I actually am starting to think that now is the time Herdman makes a strong case to Jebbison: Our ST depth is currently low, there's a good chance he could at the least get the Brym minutes next window and then get more playing time in the Jan window with MLS players being out of season and three tough matches. 

13 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Agreed. I actually am starting to think that now is the time Herdman makes a strong case to Jebbison: Our ST depth is currently low, there's a good chance he could at the least get the Brym minutes next window and then get more playing time in the Jan window with MLS players being out of season and three tough matches. 

If we actually want to bring anyone in, I would argue that this is almost the ideal time.  It would let you slowly integrate players over the course of the remaining windows.  A guy like Ferdi could start with a sub appearance and build from there. Given Herdman’s focus on team chemistry it would let us integrate a couple of new guys and avoid just dropping them into the team that (hopefully) gets to Qatar.  It would be pretty disheartening to go through this entire process and then be displaced by someone who sat on the fence the whole time.  

9 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

If we actually want to bring anyone in, I would argue that this is almost the ideal time.  It would let you slowly integrate players over the course of the remaining windows.  A guy like Ferdi could start with a sub appearance and build from there. Given Herdman’s focus on team chemistry it would let us integrate a couple of new guys and avoid just dropping them into the team that (hopefully) gets to Qatar.  It would be pretty disheartening to go through this entire process and then be displaced by someone who sat on the fence the whole time.  

This would be hard on a player, but I think it happens pretty well for every team, every World Cup. There are always guys left off who feel hard done by.

Later injuries are also common (including very dumb ones--Cañizares then Valencia keeper was left of the Spain 2002 WC squad because a flask of cologne shattered in his hands in the shower and lacerated his hands.)

For example, if Atiba is injured, and not getting much minutes, and can't get minutes for Canada or his club team, and is even contemplating retirement this upcoming June, you may have to leave him off. Does Besiktas have to give him another year's contract if they don't think he can contribute on the pitch, just to help him get to Qatar? I am not sure about that, though they seem to love him and must might. 

Any of the guys not regularly starting could get left off, though our lack of depth at CB might save a Cornelius and see us lose a Wotherspoon or Fraser. Whatever Shaffelberg or Pasher do they are unlikely to go, if the rest of the attackers are fit--they have too little margin to show much more than they have. Then others not playing much, like Piette, would most likely go regardless of his upcoming season, since we don't have much cover like that in the defensive middle. 

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

That's the reality of professional football.

I get that.  But if a big part of your mantra has been building a team mentality and focusing on cohesion, this has the potential to impact that a bit.  

I just think it would be better to integrate guys during the qualifying campaign - for a number of reasons. 

Edited by dyslexic nam

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Realistically what’s jebbisson’s chances to play for England with all the young attackers in there team