General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

16 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Only problem is, in today's society, people (and I use that term loosely) will not see that as a joke, or sour grapes, a stupid thing to say or even a man exercising what was once free speech.  They will see it as a thing to be destroyed, career, life, the whole shebang and that is the biggest form of cowardice.

Twitter mob lynching to begin in 3,2,1...

Nah, no one actually cares.

I don't know how many times I've heard the "Drake is a jock sniffer" thing on TSN's Overdrive program over the last few years (especially after Raptors games).  I suspect that Forrest heard it there and thought it was funny (to be fair, the Overdrive guys are good at making stuff sound funny).   Anyway, this take on Drake is nothing new, so I think Forrest shouldn't be too badly scalded over it.

1 minute ago, rkomar said:

I don't know how many times I've heard the "Drake is a jock sniffer" thing on TSN's Overdrive program over the last few years (especially after Raptors games).  I suspect that Forrest heard it there and thought it was funny (to be fair, the Overdrive guys are good at making stuff sound funny).   Anyway, this take on Drake is nothing new, so I think Forrest shouldn't be too badly scalded over it.

Depends on who you ask….

13 minutes ago, Cblake said:

This whole Drake thing will give the players exposure to those who would never even think about the CMNT. It’s free advertising that the CSA has to take advantage of. Drake basically splashed the team all over the place. 

While it may not appeal to the older folks around here, I wonder if it moved the needle at all for guys like Jebbison or Flores...

Edit: quoted the wrong post.

Edited by El Hombre

Just now, rkomar said:

The OVO brand is huge , and the influence it has over some people can not be ignored. Phonzie , the CSA , OVO/Drake should all get together and do something, it would give Canadian soccer a whole new world of exposure. It is what it is , but you can not say it would not help. Stoke the fire 🔥 

13 minutes ago, Mattd97 said:

Your post has determined

*checks card*

That was a lie

(Also he has 3x the population of Canada following him on instagram, but sure, yeah, just a toronto thing)

I didn't say he wasn't a well known figure and popular. I'm saying in Toronto you guys put him on the pedestal with some kinda sainthood. I even remember Jermaine Defoe at one point after being asked 1million times about how he felt about getting a call from Drake, saying like look yah it was great but can we calm down now. It got a bit embarrassing 

Besides you lose me when you measure importance by how many social media followers someone has. I get the game, whatever is trending on Twitter jump in get some shine.. make some money. Yah great. But I don't care and apparently neither does Forest and he expressed his opinion and in a very funny entertaining way

Edited by SpursFlu

1 minute ago, SpursFlu said:

I didn't say he wasn't a well known figure and popular. I'm saying in Toronto you guys put him on the pedestal with some kinda sainthood. I even remember Jermaine Defoe at one point after being asked 1million times about how he felt about getting a call from Drake, saying like look yah it was great but can we calm down now. It got a bit embarrassing 

Besides you lose me when you measure importance by how many social media followers someone has. 

Jermain Defoe - Born Oct. 7th, 1982.

Just now, rkomar said:

I don't think its a matter of scalding or cancelling him as @Joe MacCarthyseems to think (can you even cancel someone as small as Craig Forrest? this is probably the most relevant he's been in quite a while). It's more a matter of for a team/fanbase/group that begs for more eyes on the team, we are in no position to turn away all the positives that come with Drake's attention.

The guy is one of the biggest musician/celebrities in the world, that is undeniable. If literally 1% of his followers go and follow anything Canada Soccer related, thats exponentially more eyes than currently.

2 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Well, unless he knows a way to further their careers financially I'm not sure it would make much difference. 

Any form of partner ship with Drake and OVO could be incredibly lucrative for all parties involved. Furthermore, from a recruiting perspective, for all the stick he gets for his gig with the Raptors for being a clown in the stands, he does interact with the players quite regularly behind the scenes and to have someone of his stature being a common face with all the players, not just the stars, thats pretty big. You're telling me, theoretically, if Drake were to hit up a 17-20 year old dual national out the blue and say play for Canada they wouldn't find that unreal? 

2 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

You're telling me, theoretically, if Drake were to hit up a 17-20 year old dual national out the blue and say play for Canada they wouldn't find that unreal? 

I don't know about you but I had a career where I met celebrities every day.  They didn't score me any more money.  Now, if he said I have some deals here that can help you out financially that's a different story.  Sure a phone call would be nice and flattering but show me the money!

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Think what you want of Drake but this is a good look for our boys from a publicity point of view. Some of the lads got to meet an idol of there's, so that's great for them. Maybe it can be leveraged into more publicity, which we've all been clamoring for. That would be a good thing.

It’s free publicity the CSA could only dream about. Phonzie’s photo of him with Drake holding the jersey is being splashed all over the place. 

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Think what you want of Drake but this is a good look for our boys from a publicity point of view. Some of the lads got to meet an idol of there's, so that's great for them. Maybe it can be leveraged into more publicity, which we've all been clamoring for. That would be a good thing.

That's great and Liam Millar and Phonzie were probably excited to meet him. To me we don't need Drake to co sign anything. Drake needs Phonzie more than the other way around here. Everyone including Forest just do your thing whatever 

If you don't want any bandwagon jumpers, (and were calling sitting 3rd half way through a qualifying process for our first world cup final in 35 years watched by 350k Canadians, a bandwagon) then its just gonna be the few dozen of us here watching this splendid team. Sounds fun. Glad you can all keep the gates free from new fans, after just saying how great it was that phonzie would draw in more fans.

3 hours ago, Sal333 said:

I'm providing this link for those posters who claim there isn't a 60 men roster. You're right. It's a 61 men roster. Herdman selects his final roster from this pool. Before the next window if your favourite player is not on this list he won't be on the team. On the other hand if before the next window a player suddenly appears on this list he has a good chance of becoming part of the final roster.

https://www.canadasoccer.com/national-teams/excel-teams/?gender=male&teamId=2068

That's not a 60 man roster. That's a media page to provide info on all player's who've been called into the squad over the last few years, aka the player pool. It's designed to provide information for fans and media in the lead up to MNT camps and games. Players will be added as they're selected and removed when they retire from international or club football. This list is not the genesis of a camp roster it is the result of them.

6 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think its very simple.. In life not everyone likes what you likes. It's ok, thats healthy

“Drake’s music is good”

”Drake’s social media influence could have a positive effect on CMNT  support in Canada”

The first statement is entirely subjective.   The second one is not.  

5 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

That's not a 60 man roster. That's a media page to provide info on all player's who've been called into the squad over the last few years, aka the player pool. It's designed to provide information for fans and media in the lead up to MNT camps and games. Players will be added as they're selected and removed when they retire from international or club football. This list is not the genesis of a camp roster it is the result of them.

Here we go again :)  Good chaff and redirect from the Drake incident

2 hours ago, Mattd97 said:

Also seems pretty damn homophobic

Sexism I could see (not ALL athletes wear jocks, something, something...), but how do you see homophobia in that?

Doesn't a jock strap being smelly and gross transcends sexual orientation? Maybe it is insulting for those who get turned on by sweaty undergarments lol.... and if that's you no judgement btw ;)

Anyone who does not think this whole Drake thing is good is out to lunch 🥗 🥙 lunch 🍱 Nothing bad could come from unless later on we learn there were hookers were in the room and video surfaced, whoa I am getting ahead of my self, these are good lads , just enjoy this ride , it is only going to get better heart ♥️ 

Edited by Cblake

13 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

We may be quibbling over semantics.

The title of the page is the men's national team.

Since Herdman has been here he has named all of his starting roster from that pool. Notice how Akinola was on the list before the GC but is missing right now. (Are you implying Akinola has retired from international or club play). Once he is ready to return Herdman will add him to the list. So before a player like Flores or Ennin is named to a starting 23 roster, he goes onto this list first.

Edited by Sal333