General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Sexism I could see (not ALL athletes wear jocks, something, something...), but how do you see homophobia in that?

Doesn't a jock strap being smelly and gross transcends sexual orientation? Maybe it is insulting for those who get turned on by sweaty undergarments lol.... and if that's you no judgement btw ;)

I'm not offended by it or anything, and certainly don't think Craig Forrest means it in a homophobic way -- but there's a reason it's not jersey sniffer. I've got a tough time believing there isn't a homophobic connotation there that would make me rethink the use of the term.  It's literally suggesting you're the type of person who would sniff someone's penis holder, doesn't take a leap to guess the origins

3 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Anyone does not think this whole Drake thing is good is out to lunch 🥗 🥙 lunch 🍱 Nothing bad could come from unless later on we learn there were hookers were in the room and video surfaced, whoa I am getting ahead of my self, these are good lads , just enjoy this ride , it is only going to get better heart ♥️ 

That would be so 2021 lol

Basically it boils down to this

People: Yah Drake Yah Drake Yah Drake likes us, we need approval to justify our interests. This is good right?

CSA: Cha Ching

Craig Forrest: Canadian football has and always be important to me I don't need Drakes approval for that. Plus I think he's wack

Other People: Hahaha. I was thinking the same

People: How dare you call in to question our value structure and put down Drake. Your old Craig Forrest, shut up and go away! 

1 minute ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Yeah idk about this one... but I don't doubt that Drake can see potential benefit from Phonzie but come on

Drake has run out of music to steal plus he's old. He's hit the point of his career in which he'll stay relevant and rich by being famous for being famous and hoping aboard any hype train he can and snatching any crumbs that fall off the table

11 minutes ago, Mattd97 said:

I'm not offended by it or anything, and certainly don't think Craig Forrest means it in a homophobic way -- but there's a reason it's not jersey sniffer. I've got a tough time believing there isn't a homophobic connotation there that would make me rethink the use of the term.  It's literally suggesting you're the type of person who would sniff someone's penis holder, doesn't take a leap to guess the origins

Because a jersey doesn't get as dirty as a jockstrap. 

Edit: except for maybe the underarms of the jersey. 

Either way, point taken I see where you're coming from. 

Edited by Obinna

2 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

We may be quibbling over semantics.

The title of the page is the men's national team.

Since Herdman has been here he has named all of his starting roster from that pool. Notice how Akinola was on the list before the GC but is missing right now. (Are you implying Akinola has retired from international or club play). Once he is ready to return Herdman will add him to the list. So before a player like Flores or Ennin is named to a starting 23 roster, he goes into this list first.

No I'm implying that Akinola is not on the list because the coms team at the CSA, which is very small and was in Tokyo at the time, has not had a chance to create a full media profile for him.

Are you implying that Dejan Jakovic is still part of the national team because he's listed on the website despite not being named to the 2021 GC 60 man roster and not being in Canada camp since 2018?

12 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

People: Yah Drake Yah Drake Yah Drake likes us, we need approval to justify our interests. This is good right?

Craig Forrest: Canadian football has and always be important to me I don't need Drakes approval for that. Plus I think he's wack

People: How dare you call in to question our value structure and put down Drake. Your old Craig Forrest, shut up and go away! 

That's one interpretation.

Another: Forrest is pissed off Byran Adams or Anne Murray or Lightfoot or Shania Twain didn't want to meet up with CANMNT in his day.

Edited by Sal333

Just now, BuzzAndSting said:

No I'm implying that Akinola is not on the list because the coms team at the CSA, which is very small and was in Tokyo at the time, has not had a chance to create a full media profile for him.

Are you implying that Dejan Jakovic is still part of the national team because he's listed on the website despite not being named to the 2021 GC 60 man roster and not being in Canada camp since 2018?

They had Akinola on the list before the GC.

10 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

No, that's not a proper encapsulation of what just happened at all.

Just now, Obinna said:

Gets pretty gross! But alright, I hope I missed the trees on that one. Haven't used or heard the term in a long time and reading it there sent a definite red flag up, I don't think I'll choose to use it. That said I'm not about to try to get others to agree on language, and it's not a super flagrant word or anything.  Just hit a lot harsher than it did a decade ago or whenever I would've heard it last 

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Edit: except for maybe the underarms of the jersey. 

Either way, point taken I see where you're coming from. 

I think we have officially reached the low point of this conversation.  

For the sake of summation:

- some people don’t like Drake

- Craig Forrest is definitely one of those people 

- whether you like his music or not (Drake’s, not Craig’s), he does have a large social media influence

- that sort of thing seems to matter to a lot of young people, including some of our very own players 

- Jerseys can get pretty gross but probably not as gross as jock straps. 

Edited by dyslexic nam

I'm just going to leave it at that some people on here clearly have no idea of the significance or popularity of Drake and it shows. 🤣 I respect everyone on this board but some people should maybe sit this conversation out.

Whether or not you like his music, personality or whatever, he continues to break global music records every month (yes global, not Canadian) and his popularity is not decreasing.  He is at the point, where his music records are usually breaking his old records.

He did great things for the Raptors organization and is listened to in almost every professional locker room in sports.

Edited by Corazon

9 minutes ago, Mattd97 said:

But you're indifferent....

I am its not Drake. Im in different to him. I'm not indifferent to the concept and the culture that he partakes in and benefits from that is driving depression, disorders and suicide in our youths especially young women. All you have to is go listen the senate hearings in the US a few weeks ago regarding Instagram & Facebook. I have 2 daughters so I would never be indifferent to that. But hey last I checked its a free country and people do what they do

12 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

That's one interpretation.

Another: Forrest is pissed off Byran Adams or Anne Murray or Lightfoot or Shania Twain didn't want to meet up with CANMNT in his day.

Maybe they did? If it doesn't happen on social media did it ever happen? We'll never know

27 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

On a side note, we're two days since the past window and this is what we've devolved to... what are we all going to be like in a weeks time 😂

I was thinking the very same thing :)  I been around these boards a loooong time, trust me this is better than a dead board.

25 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Drake has run out of music to steal plus he's old. He's hit the point of his career in which he'll stay relevant and rich by being famous for being famous and hoping aboard any hype train he can and snatching any crumbs that fall off the table

It doesn't really matter if you like Drake or not, because at the end of the day we all have our own interests.

That being said, what you wrote here is patently false. I just took a quick look at the current Billboard 100, and Drake's got two songs in the top 10 (and a third at No. 20).

He's got the No. 2 album on the Billboard 200, behind Taylor Swift.

By any metric, he's still extremely relevant in his core industry.

As a side note, one other Canadian also shows up all over the charts and is a known soccer fan (although a bigger hockey fan). I'm talking about Justin Bieber, who may be the only Canadian celebrity bigger than Drake at the moment. If Phonzie can get him fanboying as well, it would add to the growing exposure the team's getting.

I guess it just comes down to the fact, whether you thought forrest's tweet was funny or you love or hate drake, canada soccer has a potential gift horse and an ambassador for that is trying to kick it.  

He undoubtedly has helped players look at the raptors differently, and financially has helped greatly with Canada Basketball and local basketball programs. If you can get even a little of that for a program in sore need of it, you should probably keep your awesome jokes to yourself when you have the canada soccer logo in your profile picture. Roll your eyes as much as you like while you bite your lip. 

We shouldn't, he shouldn't, really be mocking anyone for getting excited about cheering for Canada.

My two cents.

Great goal by phonzie

Edited by Mattd97

11 minutes ago, RS said:

It doesn't really matter if you like Drake or not, because at the end of the day we all have our own interests.

That being said, what you wrote here is patently false. I just took a quick look at the current Billboard 100, and Drake's got two songs in the top 10 (and a third at No. 20).

He's got the No. 2 album on the Billboard 200, behind Taylor Swift.

By any metric, he's still extremely relevant in his core industry.

As a side note, one other Canadian also shows up all over the charts and is a known soccer fan (although a bigger hockey fan). I'm talking about Justin Bieber, who may be the only Canadian celebrity bigger than Drake at the moment. If Phonzie can get him fanboying as well, it would add to the growing exposure the team's getting.

I was not a big fan of his album from last month and many would agree it is nowhere near his best work but he still had 9 of the top 10 Billboard spots and all 21 songs made the Hot 100 in its first week.  The album was streamed nearly a billion times in the first week.  And this happens every album he drops or any feature he's on.  Not bad for one of his lesser albums.

So yes, he is still quite relevant.

Edited by Corazon