Scott Kennedy

15 hours ago, footballfreak said:

I don’t think he stops being called, but it certainly puts to bed any notion of winning the LCB starting spot in the near term.

I think the more pertinent question is whether Kennedy would be more battle tested by attackers in MLS or Austria. I would say MLS comfortably has the better attackers outside of RB Salzberg and maybe one or two other clubs.

I've often felt the same.  MLS vs other leagues is very unbalanced in that sense.  Top heavy and bottom light, where most other leagues are more evenly balanced across the field.  

Looking at it at another angle, I also feel the systems and coaching are better in other leagues, so you'll have a CB in Austria who will be better equipped and know when to slide, commit, how to line-up and how to defend as a unit vs the MLS guy who has solo/individual experience vs a higher-level striker.  Obviously, generally speaking and just my opinion.

Just now, InglewoodJack said:

Per the (poor) translation, sounds like he was only at the gold cup to wait out the contract signing, and now it’s locked in, he’ll be leaving.

Looks like the Austrian season starts early too. Cup game on the 22nd. First league match on the 29th.

Never made sense to me that we never saw Kennedy two games in a row.

16 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Never made sense to me that we never saw Kennedy two games in a row.

Yeah, exactly. I’m sure it was a case where the club said if we sign you, we’d prefer you didn’t play, and he was only with the team in case the deal fell through or we needed an emergency player, but now that it’s signed, he’ll go to their camp. 

11 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Maybe this is also why he hasn't been playing? Don't want to risk an injury if you are on the verge of joining a new club.

Good to get the deal done though. I am slightly underwhelmed but it's probably going to be good for him. Hopefully they make a push in the league and finish better than 9th.

Scott needs to stay healthy and play a full season as a starter. He's  missed big chunks of  every season  at Klagenfurt and Regensburg. Been a starter at both clubs but  injuries and being in and out of the lineup as a result, has probably had an impact on his game.

Now it is making more sense to me why he hasn't been playing, I thought this would be a good chance for him to get more comfortable playing in the centre of our backline and was somewhat surprised he hasn't featured at all! I agree with @Kadenge in that he needs to stay healthy and establish himself because I think there is potential for him to be a key contributor to our squad! In the meantime we have had a look at some other new CB's which isn't a bad thing!

Just now, Kadenge said:

Scott needs to stay healthy and play a full season as a starter. He's  missed big chunks of  every season  at Klagenfurt and Regensburg. Been a starter at both clubs but  injuries and being in and out of the lineup as a result, has probably had an impact on his game.

This.  He has to show durability.

With regards to avoiding injury while you are clubless with FC Unattached, their NT availabilty certainly varies:  some see a risk while others give higher value to the reward of being in the shop window, impressing, getting a payday.

29 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Surely it wasn't news coming into this gold cup that this move was likely. Why call him instead of Hiebert, Waterman etc. If there was a high likelihood he wouldn't play? 

Still think he is carrying a knock rather than the above stopping him playing. Makes little sense and is a waste of a roster spot.

Agreed, but Herdman has a history of wasting roster spots, calling up injured players, only naming a squad of 21 etc.

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I see that team played Conference League last season, were knocked out in the second round.

I feel fine with it, but wonder if the salary would be anywhere near Germany B2. Was he out of contract? Or did their relegation activate a release for reasons of tier, salary?

He was out of contract at Regensburg he signed a 3 year deal back in 2020. 

15 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

I saw Kennedy in the training video, so he seems to still be with the team. Wonder if he should start as one of two CBs in a back four today alongside Vitoria. 

Of course he should start he had one mediocre game in the nations league final but let’s start guys with no experience in key national team games . Miller, Kennedy and Victoria need to start .

2 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Of course he should start he had one mediocre game in the nations league final but let’s start guys with no experience in key national team games . Miller, Kennedy and Victoria need to start .

I agree. I just wasn't sure what was going on with him because of the club situation. 

Yes Kennedy is a worthy starter for a match like this, but it's about what position you ask him to play. Are we asking him to be a RCB again? He doesn't look comfortable there imo. Are we playing him in the middle of a back 3? Worked well against Honduras at home, but we are playing the US in the US. I am fine playing him at LCB ahead of Miller, or in a 4, but it should be in the left.

14 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yes Kennedy is a worthy starter for a match like this, but it's about what position you ask him to play. Are we asking him to be a RCB again? He doesn't look comfortable there imo. Are we playing him in the middle of a back 3? Worked well against Honduras at home, but we are playing the US in the US. I am fine playing him at LCB ahead of Miller, or in a 4, but it should be in the left.

Without someone to really to play RCB in a 3, I would go with 2 CBs (probably him and McGraw, with apologies to Vitoria) at the back, with Miller as a  LB. Keep it tight.

The three has looked rough at the back, with a combination of new players learning to play with each other and play the system, as well as players just plain out of position.  Miller might be out of position at LB but he knows it and has a decent skill set for it. 

4 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

Not to blame tonight on a flukey ricochet of St Clair. Just shitty luck.

No he's done. Doubt we see him called back in with the emergence of Hiebert who is rock steady.

Kennedy has never had a good performance for Canada, best was average. Knocking in a golden time goal even if it was not all his fault, as a on the edge player pushes him out.

Edited by SirBobsaget