Scott Kennedy

22 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

So Cornelius and Kennedy as the CBs on Tuesday?

No, AJ definitely comes back into the 11 and I suspect either of the 2 play as a LCB unless Herdman changes to a back 4 which I hope he doesn't, I like Davies and Laryea as wingbacks!

Edit: I forgot Vittoria is suspended so it is very likely both start Tuesday!

Edited by gator

2 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Looks that way. I don't love Kennedy on his off foot though. Yesterday he looked uncomfortable at times. He's not afraid to use his right peg, but in doing so his overall game seems less crisp. Maybe he's just lacking sharpness in general and it has nothing to do with the position. Either way, we'll find out on Tuesday.

Wonder if we see Zator instead...

On 3/13/2023 at 8:45 AM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Thank you for the detailed update.

Is there a timeline for how long he will need to wear the mask? What has been his experience like having to play with it?

EDIT:

520x312.jpg

Found a photo of him in the protective mask. Looks badass.

Hope he wears it on Tuesday after the shot to the face he took last match. He does look a little uneasy out there but shedding the mask prolly won't help. Hope he can stow it by summer window.

1 hour ago, gator said:

No, AJ definitely comes back into the 11 and I suspect either of the 2 play as a LCB unless Herdman changes to a back 4 which I hope he doesn't, I like Davies and Laryea as wingbacks!

Edit: I forgot Vittoria is suspended so it is very likely both start Tuesday!

Only issue with 3 at the back is that Davies doesn't seem to help out defensively when he plays LWB, so we have a slower CB as a defender vs someone like Adekugbe

1 hour ago, gator said:

I thought he was solid considering he hasn't had much playing time at club level due to injuries, as noted in the match thread by others he looked a little awkward at times being left footed and playing to the right but there were few mistakes and a wonderful pass from him out of the back eventually lead to our first goal! He stepped in and played slightly out of position when we needed him to, I say well done!

He also looked a little awkward on the turf which is totally understandable.  Given the injury history I totally understand it, I was worried about him on turf.

1 hour ago, trc2014 said:

Or: Cornelius - Kennedy - Zator

Sucks that Adekugbe and Laryea would/might get benched that way though.

I hate to say it, but our depth is starting to cause problems.  Its getting difficult to fit everyone in!  I can't imagine a world where a guy with Hoilett's talent isn't an automatic starter for CANMNT.  Guys like Adekugbe, Laryea, Osorio, Millar, etc.... playing supporting roles is just bizarre. 

Edited by costarg

1 hour ago, costarg said:

I hate to say it, but our depth is starting to cause problems.

Good problems...these guys know that if they want to rep Canada they need to be progressing to bigger leagues and doing well wherever they are, or there is another couple guys doing it and they'll get the call.  Look at Piette, he didnt all of a sudden become a shitty player, but Eustaq, Kone etc, other players have ramped up their game and he doesnt get the chances he once did.  Same with Hoilett, Osorio, Kaye, but its a good problem to have, choices for the manager.  Cant keep Kennedy, Louturi, Farsi (next gen) out of the lineup for long.  

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Good problems...these guys know that if they want to rep Canada they need to be progressing to bigger leagues and doing well wherever they are, or there is another couple guys doing it and they'll get the call.  Look at Piette, he didnt all of a sudden become a shitty player, but Eustaq, Kone etc, other players have ramped up their game and he doesnt get the chances he once did.  Same with Hoilett, Osorio, Kaye, but its a good problem to have, choices for the manager.  Cant keep Kennedy, Louturi, Farsi (next gen) out of the lineup for long.  

Reading positive shit like this affects me more than coffee.  It keeps up at night imagining lineups and future possibilities, I need to get off this website......

36 minutes ago, costarg said:

Reading positive shit like this affects me more than coffee.  It keeps up at night imagining lineups and future possibilities, I need to get off this website......

Agreed. I wanted to see Loturi, McGill, and Heibert capped against Curacao. I was surprised to see Buchanan come in as he had, apparently, been bothered by a knock. Matches against weaker opponents would seem the logical times to cap a newcomer. Hopefully, we can get up a couple on Honduras and have that opportunity. we shall see.

On 3/26/2023 at 8:51 AM, Obinna said:

Looks that way. I don't love Kennedy on his off foot though. Yesterday he looked uncomfortable at times. He's not afraid to use his right peg, but in doing so his overall game seems less crisp. Maybe he's just lacking sharpness in general and it has nothing to do with the position. Either way, we'll find out on Tuesday.

Wonder if we see Zator instead...

Well, after last night he definitely looked the part of a Vitoria replacement. There was zero problem with the crispness of his play. Everything looked sharp from his passing to the timing of his challenges. I loved his recovery speed and there were no occassions of the Hondurans beating him for pace. I am not ready to toss Vitoria to the trash bin, but Kennedy seems like the best possibly replacement for him in the near future. 

I mentioned this in the game thread, but I will repeat it here:

I was definitely wrong about Kennedy playing in the center. I thought perhaps Cornelius would be better suited for his play on the ball, but after last night I have changed my mind. Kennedy's recovery speed is a big asset and something we currently don't have with Vitoria or Henry, making him an ideal replacement.

I will continue to watch his passing closely as he continues to play in the middle, but so far so good!

14 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Well, after last night he definitely looked the part of a Vitoria replacement. There was zero problem with the crispness of his play. Everything looked sharp from his passing to the timing of his challenges. I loved his recovery speed and there were no occassions of the Hondurans beating him for pace. I am not ready to toss Vitoria to the trash bin, but Kennedy seems like the best possibly replacement for him in the near future. 

I mentioned this in the game thread, but I will repeat it here:

I was definitely wrong about Kennedy playing in the center. I thought perhaps Cornelius would be better suited for his play on the ball, but after last night I have changed my mind. Kennedy's recovery speed is a big asset and something we currently don't have with Vitoria or Henry, making him an ideal replacement.

I will continue to watch his passing closely as he continues to play in the middle, but so far so good!

Victoria (and Henry, when available) is absolute mustard in the air.  I think we lacked that a bit, last night (based on scanning through the game today.) It is also important if using Johnston in the back three because he is not the tallest. 

That said trading excellent in the air for good in the air with good pace is probably a decent deal.  

Someone being the general back there will come, as well, with whomever is given the role. Hopefully.

30 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Victoria (and Henry, when available) is absolute mustard in the air.  I think we lacked that a bit, last night (based on scanning through the game today.) It is also important if using Johnston in the back three because he is not the tallest. 

That said trading excellent in the air for good in the air with good pace is probably a decent deal.  

Someone being the general back there will come, as well, with whomever is given the role. Hopefully.

I thought we started getting beat in the air more often after Kennedy went out actually. Up until then I didn’t notice it being much of an issue. He didn’t have to deal with Benguche though, which would’ve been a bit tougher for him to deal with in terms of aerial duels.

29 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Henry ? I think his time has come to a close with the national team , just not good enough and the number of club teams that have let him go attest to that . We have better options at that position even though still slim pickings . Became a great character guy during the  past WC qualification but we need guys that can actually do the job on the field . 

Just now, archer21 said:

I thought we started getting beat in the air more often after Kennedy went out actually. Up until then I didn’t notice it being much of an issue. He didn’t have to deal with Benguche though, which would’ve been a bit tougher for him to deal with in terms of aerial duels.

I think you are @WestHamCanadianinOxford are both right here. We lose a bit of arial presence with Kennedy in for Vitoria, but we lose even more with Cornelius in for Kennedy, which is basically what happened once Scott was replaced. Derek had to shift to the center, Heibert came into the left, and Johnston is not the tallest, so we definitely lost a significant presence back there.

I won't pin it squarely on Cornelius either. I will instead say that Cornelius/Heibert is less effective in the air than Kennedy/Cornelius. I will also say it's a small sample size, so big, definitive, take aways should probably be resisted at this stage. 

17 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Kennedy is our best CB.  

I really hope this form (and some injury luck) shows up with Kennedy's club side, because our best CB should not be honing his skills in the lower reaches of the German 2nd tier.

In 2008? Sure, maybe. Not with the team we have elsewhere on the pitch.