Scott Kennedy

32 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

When you look at his career, I'd say he's pretty rooted in German-speaking Europe. I'd not rule out Austria.

That's fair, he has played quite some time in Austria already.

I do hope he stays in Germany though. I get the allure of potential european soccer with top teams in Austria and I guess by extension Switzerland, but those opportunities are so flakey- he has a few bad games and all of a sudden he's benched for the european cup games or his team loses the first match against a small opponent and that opportunity is suddenly gone. We saw how what good it did for Liam Millar- sure he didn't have a great season, but the whole allure was playing for a team that could play in continental tournaments, which they did, and went quite far, and because his form wasn't tip top, he didn't win much out of that.

I guess the same thing can happen in the 2nd Bundesliga too, especially for a team trying to get promoted, but I would much rather he play 34 really competitive regular season matches than (however many Austria play) okayish matches with a few blowouts against Salzburg.

18 minutes ago, Obinna said:

On that note, Switzerland is another place I have been thinking about for him. Maybe a depth player for Basel?

Am I overrating him, or could he not do better than this? Basel has two very good CBs and a third good but aging one, so I guess by technicality he would be a depth player, but he deserves to start for a solid team, he's been very good when healthy. He's proven he can be a 2.B starter I think the upside of getting noticed by better and better teams in Germany outweighs the potential exposure of playing in Europe or even excelling in a league like Austria's

5 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Am I overrating him, or could he not do better than this? Basel has two very good CBs and a third good but aging one, so I guess by technicality he would be a depth player, but he deserves to start for a solid team, he's been very good when healthy. He's proven he can be a 2.B starter I think the upside of getting noticed by better and better teams in Germany outweighs the potential exposure of playing in Europe or even excelling in a league like Austria's

I could be the one overrating him according to @Olympique_de_Marseille;)

In all seriousness though, I thought/think Kennedy could be able to go to a club like Basel and at least fight for a place. OM does have a point though. It is better to be playing at a lower level then depth at a better level, generally speaking. I wouldn't want Kennedy to go to a place he is destined to be depth - probably like RB Salzburg - but I genuinely rate him high enough that (I feel) he should be able to fight his way into a starting role anywhere else in Austria.

Possibly I am underrating the Austrian league, though. I don't really watch it, just scanning the rosters and observing the type of players at those clubs. Kennedy is a borderline starter for Canada, so if he were a borderline starter at say LASK, I would be happy with that. 

I know we all like Kennedy (I personally love him and he's one of my favourite Canada players) but in European scout eyes they're gonna see a guy who has never played top level football, is kind of injury prone and just got relegated.

We really need to temper expectations.

We can talk about his form for Canada but I'll be honest I don't think clubs in Europe care that much about what a player does for Canada against CONCACAF teams.

Edited by VinceA

4 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I know we all like Kennedy (I personally love him and he's one of my favourite Canada players) but in European scout eyes they're gonna see a guy who has never played top level football, is kind of injury prone and just got relegated.

We really need to temper expectations.

We can talk about his form for Canada but I'll be honest I don't think clubs in Europe care that much about what a player does for Canada against CONCACAF teams.

If you look throughout Switzerland and Austrian top divisions, you see a ton of guys who came from other lower leagues. Not saying he can go and play champions league tomorrow, but he deserves to play regularly for a team at or just above where he just came from, not be some depth piece in a league that won't improve the trajectory of his career.

Also re: Canada performances, it won't change your career, I think it's more the fact that he's not just any 2.Bundesliga player, he's a guy who is being called up to a team that made the world cup, where he would've played if healthy, and that + his club career should be enough to get some team to buy into him being their starter. That's gotta be worth something. They actually played at the world cup, sure, but I doubt players like Kone and Adekugbe would've gotten the moves/loan they got if not for their CANMNT resume in part, same can be said about Tajon's links to every big team in Italy.

42 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

If you look throughout Switzerland and Austrian top divisions, you see a ton of guys who came from other lower leagues. Not saying he can go and play champions league tomorrow, but he deserves to play regularly for a team at or just above where he just came from, not be some depth piece in a league that won't improve the trajectory of his career.

Also re: Canada performances, it won't change your career, I think it's more the fact that he's not just any 2.Bundesliga player, he's a guy who is being called up to a team that made the world cup, where he would've played if healthy, and that + his club career should be enough to get some team to buy into him being their starter. That's gotta be worth something. They actually played at the world cup, sure, but I doubt players like Kone and Adekugbe would've gotten the moves/loan they got if not for their CANMNT resume in part, same can be said about Tajon's links to every big team in Italy.

I second this. I think it's less about what he does for Canada and more about what he did with Jahn.

Fair point from @VinceA that getting relegated from B2 isn't a good look, nor is being consistently injured, but I'd like to think with everything considered clubs in top division Austria and Switzerland would be interested.

In fact, the injuries and relegation could be what brings those clubs into the picture, because otherwise he'd probably move to a much better league. If it weren't for injuries Kennedy probably never comes out of the Jahn starting line up, and who knows, perhaps they don't get relegated, and perhaps it's an upper level B2 or lower level B1 club Kennedy is signing with. 

Either way, curious to see what happens next. Time will tell whether I (we) are overrating him. 

I guess Scandanavia could be a possible option too? Thinking Denmark specifically. 

On 5/31/2023 at 4:24 PM, Obinna said:

I second this. I think it's less about what he does for Canada and more about what he did with Jahn.

Fair point from @VinceA that getting relegated from B2 isn't a good look, nor is being consistently injured, but I'd like to think with everything considered clubs in top division Austria and Switzerland would be interested.

In fact, the injuries and relegation could be what brings those clubs into the picture, because otherwise he'd probably move to a much better league. If it weren't for injuries Kennedy probably never comes out of the Jahn starting line up, and who knows, perhaps they don't get relegated, and perhaps it's an upper level B2 or lower level B1 club Kennedy is signing with. 

Either way, curious to see what happens next. Time will tell whether I (we) are overrating him. 

I guess Scandanavia could be a possible option too? Thinking Denmark specifically. 

I went to some of the Karlsruher forums and yeah it does seem like Kennedy has been linked to Karlsruher. They have 3 other decent CBs on roster so Kennedy will have to fight for the starting role. The Karlsruher fans don't seem too excited by Kennedy unfortunately 

39 minutes ago, Nate3322 said:

I went to some of the Karlsruher forums and yeah it does seem like Kennedy has been linked to Karlsruher. They have 3 other decent CBs on roster so Kennedy will have to fight for the starting role. The Karlsruher fans don't seem too excited by Kennedy unfortunately 

To be fair, is there much to be excited about with a CB? Not always the most exciting transfer rumours out there.

50 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

To be fair, is there much to be excited about with a CB? Not always the most exciting transfer rumours out there.

Yeah I feel that's probably the more likely scenario rather than them thinking Kennedy is bad. My German isn't great so I can't always understand the subtle meaning of what is said in these cases 

1 minute ago, Nate3322 said:

Yeah I feel that's probably the more likely scenario rather than them thinking Kennedy is bad. My German isn't great so I can't always understand the subtle meaning of what is said in these cases 

Plus, they're German- when are those people ever excited?

It's cool that Karlsruher is interested in him. Seems like a solid move to a better team without going to a level where he's not going to be able to get any playing time.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

Per Kloke’s recent article, teams in Belgium and Netherlands top flight have shown interest. A Bundesliga side has showed interest and MLS sides as well. 

https://theathletic.com/4610922/2023/06/14/canada-transfers-jonathan-david-alphonso-davies/?source=user_shared_article

Would love all those moves, would prefer him to stay in Europe but MLS would be fine if it’s what he has to settle with.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, narduch said:

Hmm.

Not sure I mind Kennedy in MLS. The league is getting better with every year and I am not convinced his ceiling is high enough to be a regular starter in a top 5 league. He looked good when he first came into the fold, but that was against low-level CONCACAF competition. In both games against the USA he didn't really look comfortable. If his options are B2 and Austrian Bundesliga, well then going to MLS is not exactly a death knell. 

As a fan it's easier to watch him and playing at the same level as Miller, McGraw, Heibert, Waterman, McNaughton and Bombito gives us the same measuring stick from which to asses him.   

Now obviously if the B2 options are clubs expected to fight for promotion, that's my preference, or a top Austrian club (like I mentioned before) - but if not those than maybe MLS is better for him. 

Edited by Obinna
Added Heibert, Waterman, McNaugton to that list of CBs

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Not sure I mind Kennedy in MLS. The league is getting better with every year and I am not convinced his ceiling is high enough to be a regular starter in a top 5 league. He looked good when he first came into the fold, but that was against low-level CONCACAF competition. In both games against the USA he didn't really look comfortable. If his options are B2 and Austrian Bundesliga, well then going to MLS is not exactly a death knell. 

As a fan it's easier to watch him and playing at the same level as Miller, McGraw, Heibert, Waterman, McNaughton and Bombito gives us the same measuring stick from which to asses him.   

Now obviously if the B2 options are clubs expected to fight for promotion, that's my preference, or a top Austrian club (like I mentioned before) - but if not those than maybe MLS is better for him. 

Bundesliga 1 and 2 are on DAZN for the upcoming seasons.  Will be a bit easier to watch him if he stays in B2.

I Hope he stays in Europe. You never know who might see him and try and acquire him. We saw the unexpected move Larin made from Brugge- who knows if Kennedy goes to Belgium, a Bundesliga scout sees him, knows he has German experience and by 27-28 he plays first tier German soccer. NYCFC is probably one of the better MLS destinations, but I feel like he goes there and he’s not leaving.