Scott Kennedy

56 minutes ago, frmr said:

Man I would love to see St. Pauli in the top flight. Maybe next year.

I saw St Pauli in B3 a few years ago, so I think B2 is a decent level for them. Yes, the fans are quite something.

As is happening in so many leagues, the perennial powerhouses fallen into lower divisions struggle and new teams are rising to take those promotion spots. In Serie B Brescia, Palermo, Parma, Cagliari won't promote, Frosinone will; in Spain Zaragoza, Málaga, Sporting Gijon, Oviedo won't, Eibar will; in B2 as we see Hannover, Karlsruhe, Nuremburg won't, maybe Hamburg will, but then Heidenheim, which some say is the oldest club in Germany, will likely go to B1 for the first time ever; in England Burnley goes up and Luton is favoured with many other more powerful teams on the outside.

I would love to see St Pauli in the top flight. They were the first team I really started caring about outside of Montreal. I think the Bundesliga and soccer in general is better when St Pauli is good.

Seeing Union’s rapid rise gives me hope for them. I lived not too far from their stadium in Berlin a few years back, and I thought they were a really cool cult club, now they might be headed to Champions League.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They win today 2-1 and Scott got a yellow, but are 3 points back of Arminia Bielefeld with a game left. If Arminia has already won the tie breaker, and I don't know what it is, they are relegated.

I believe it's goal difference which would mean it's not technically done, but really is.

-8 to -23.

25 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I just read more, that's it, so it's done.

B3 is still a good division but not maybe enough for Scott to be thinking it'll keep him in Canadian callups.

Hopefully can catch on with another B2 league or an equivalent league in Europe. Does he go down with the team and hope for a speedy return next year to B2 or does he try , forget about Europe and come to the MLS. He has always looked pretty solid whenever he has played for Canada so I can’t see why he would not be able to catch on with an equivalent league in Europe or even a league a bit higher say Switzerland’s top flight or maybe Turkey . 

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Played a full match today against a Heidenheim side that clawed themselves back after Jahn were leading. So another loss Jahn and Heidenheim were promoted at the death after a goal late in stoppage time.

Wow this is a pretty crazy finale to the season.

55 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

What is a reasonable landing spot for him? 

Personally, hoping for him to sign for rival Bundesliga2 team. 

It has got to be this, look for another team in B2 and keep going. Jahn was a relatively modest team even in B2 terms, so I doubt even keeping a similar salary would be a problem. 

You don't want to go to B3 with them as they may not even be a clear promotion candidate, if you look at some of the rivals, like Dynamo Dresden, Munich 1860.

15 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Expected. My guess is that he will land with a team in the Austrian first division or a another 2. Bundesliga team.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 minute ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Expected. My guess is that he will land with a team in the Austrian first division or an another 2. Bundesliga team.

Hoping he can make a similar jump to what Adekugbe did going from Hatyaspor to Galatasary. Experienced 2.B CB, international with Canada, might be interesting to some teams with a realistic shot at promotion. St Pauli, Paderborn, etc. I think at this point he’s pretty rooted in Germany so I hope he stays in their system and eventually gets a shot at the Bundesliga.

For a while now I have wondered whether the likes of Sturm Graz, Austrian Wien, Rapid Wien, LASK, or even (dreaming here) RB Salzburg would inquire about him. Those are the top 5 teams in the division and each of them would represent a step up, at least in terms of TM value. Jahn is roughly 15M and the lowest of those is Austria Wien at 24M, so it's not too big a jump. Their avg player value is roughly 800k and his current value is 600k - again it's roughly in the same ballpark. Kennedy obviously knows Austria (2nd div) and maybe that counts for something.

He could just stay in the 2. Bundesliga and perhaps sign with a better team and hope to promote or get noticed by a Bundesliga club in the future, as @InglewoodJack suggests but going to the smaller pond that is Austria could possibly lead to some European opportunities, which in turn could attract some better opportunities. Furthermore, I am a big fan of our guys fighting for trophies and although RB Salzburg will probably keep pulling a "Bayern" year after year, just being in the race would be beneficial, versus staying in B2 and (maybe) fighting for promotion one year, then (maybe) struggling to stay up the next.

So, for those reasons, I would kind of like to see him return to Austria with one of the bigger boys, fight for the cup, fight for Europe, play in Europe, etc. Now if he stays in the German pyramid, I would be totally okay with it. I just think now could be the right time to try something else. 

53 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think at this point he’s pretty rooted in Germany

When you look at his career, I'd say he's pretty rooted in German-speaking Europe. I'd not rule out Austria.

32 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Austria....the top 5 teams in the division and each of them would represent a step up...so it's not too big a jump.

He has played well but he is very injury prone and hasn't always been a starter.

32 minutes ago, Obinna said:

So, for those reasons, I would kind of like to see him return to Austria

I think maybe one of the teams right below the Top 5 in Austria would be a better fit if he is a starter. Even a return to Klagenfurt, now that they are in the top tier would be a good move. He would still need to face the top attacking talent those 5 teams have.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

10 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

When you look at his career, I'd say he's pretty rooted in German-speaking Europe. I'd not rule out Austria.

On that note, Switzerland is another place I have been thinking about for him. Maybe a depth player for Basel? 

11 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

He has played well but he is very injury prone and hasn't always been a starter.

I think maybe one of the teams right below the Top 5 in Austria would be a better fit if he is a starter. Even a return to Klagenfurt, now that they are in the top tier would be a good move. He would still need to face the top attacking talent those 5 teams have.

Maybe someone other than I has followed more closely, but from what I can tell it seems he will start so long as he's healthy. Anytime he hasn't started it's been due to easing him back from injury, for the most part. He's often been injured, and players have stepped up to start in his absence, but he's always been able to claw his way back into being a starter, then the next injury comes and the cycle repeats.

This has always suggested to me that based on talent he's a starter for them. As such, I feel that anything outside the Top 5 in Austria is not aiming high enough. I would view Klagenfurt as a step backwards, actually. I think now is the time for Kennedy to be stepping forward and taking on a bigger challenge, but of course he needs to go where he has a chance to win the starting spot, just like Cornelius did. And these teams we are talking, like Rapid Vienna, Austria Vienna, they have similar TM values to Malmo. If Cornelius can win a spot at Malmo, I back Kennedy to do similar anywhere in Austria (excluding Salzburg obviously). 

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Maybe a depth player for Basel? 

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

anything outside the Top 5 in Austria is not aiming high enough.

Agree to disagree. I think it's more important to be a regular starter at a "lower" level club than to be a depth player at a better club.