Scott Kennedy

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I never liked McGraw there in the 1st match, but he was better in the QF. He's not elite, but neither are Kennedy, Miller and Cornelius. He seems to be the same standard as the rest, which isn't a bad thing. He's someone who can come on and allow us to shift Johnston out wide to RB/RWB.

That's a good point - no, he's not great, but he's serviceable - although I'd have to say 36 year old Vitoria is still better than him.  Dom Zator on the other hand was somewhere between snake-bitten and very unconvincing.  Is there anyone else?  Please - anyone?

22 minutes ago, GasPed said:

That's a good point - no, he's not great, but he's serviceable - although I'd have to say 36 year old Vitoria is still better than him.  Dom Zator on the other hand was somewhere between snake-bitten and very unconvincing.  Is there anyone else?  Please - anyone?

Bombito can be, but he isn't right now. I get why the coaching staff likes him. He seems to have the potential to be a tier 1 player, better than all of these other players we are discussing. He is very raw at the moment.

Just now, Obinna said:

Bombito can be, but he isn't right now. I get why the coaching staff likes him. He seems to have the potential to be a tier 1 player, better than all of these other players we are discussing. He is very raw at the moment.

I happen to think there's only one small obstacle stopping him from being our mainstay RCB for the next 15 years - the fact that no one (including himself) seems to want to play him there.  😬

On 7/14/2023 at 2:40 PM, GasPed said:

I agree - I think its clear now that he's a LCB, period. 

At least to us it is, however Herdman might need a few more years.  Sorry, I really like Herdman, I just really have issues with his playing guys out of position, drives me maaaad.

4 minutes ago, SirBobsaget said:

Kennedy has never had a good game for Canada. Started Nations league final, disaster. Own goal vs USA in GC 2023, disaster. Please name any really great contributions? Waterman, Zator, Hiebert, Cornelius are better options. But hes awesome so starting CB 2026 WC!!! Why so many excuses for a guy that never performed for Canada?

7 minutes ago, SirBobsaget said:

Kennedy has never had a good game for Canada. Started Nations league final, disaster. Own goal vs USA in GC 2023, disaster. Please name any really great contributions? Waterman, Zator, Hiebert, Cornelius are better options. But hes awesome so starting CB 2026 WC!!! 

He started in the World Cup clincher v Jamaica (along with Henry ironically)

Edited by narduch

53 minutes ago, SirBobsaget said:

Kennedy has never had a good game for Canada. Started Nations league final, disaster. Own goal vs USA in GC 2023, disaster. Please name any really great contributions? Waterman, Zator, Hiebert, Cornelius are better options. But hes awesome so starting CB 2026 WC!!! 

???

Debut against Suriname, both Central America games, Jamaica, Haiti away... basically every game except Nashville and Vegas. As others have pointed out, we needed someone with pace in extra time. I don't have nearly as much faith as you that McGraw wasn't about to get torched. 

You can play this game with all of our CB's if you're selective enough.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Kennedy started for Wolfsberger away to Austria Wien

Played another full match and his team kept a clean sheet in a nil-nil draw.

He has now played 4 full matches in a row for Wolfsberger. To come back to my discussion with @Obinna , this is what I think we were hoping for, consistent playing time.

Next week is the tough test: they are hosting Red Bull Salzburg. As expected Red Bull Salzburg are already alone at the top of the table as the only team with 4 wins in 4 matches.

Outside of his injury, and I believe a red card suspension...wasn't he getting consistent playing time with JR?

Reality is he dropped down a level, so it shouldn't be a surprise that he's getting the minutes (I'm going to guess his role was probably guaranteed.

I'm hoping he has a great season and gets a move back to a level that earned him his call up. 

9 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Played another full match and his team kept a clean sheet in a nil-nil draw.

He has now played 4 full matches in a row for Wolfsberger. To come back to my discussion with @Obinna , this is what I think we were hoping for, consistent playing time.

Next week is the tough test: they are hosting Red Bull Salzburg. As expected Red Bull Salzburg are already alone at the top of the table as the only team with 4 wins in 4 matches.

RB Salzburg is the sort of match you want for someone like Kennedy. It's the closest thing to USA or Mexico, or a top FIFA side (however you'd define it). The problem with Austria (as @Shway eludes to) is that Kennedy is not getting enough big tests. It's great to be getting consistent playing time, but it's at a level that isn't really preparing him to take on top attackers very often. I am not an expert on Austria (not sure if anyone on the board is), but it's the type of league where you gotta be with a big team. Wolfsburger seems to be just under that, so if they can finish high up the table and get into Europe, this will seem to be a great move. Personally I would prefer Kennedy to be playing in Europa or Conference League than fighting to stay alive in the 2.Bundesliga. I remain cautiously optimistic about Kennedy and his return to Austria.

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

Reality is he dropped down a level

There is no basis for this statement, I don't think he's dropped down a level at all. His current club has more than double the value of his former team, not to mention they have done well in the league the last half-decade, often finishing upper mid-table and even qualifying for Europa a few years back. The Austrian Bundesliga has similar market value to the 2.Bundesliga and this, despite having six less teams. Now we can debate the validity of TM, but Regensburg was a low-level team in the second tier, never finished above 14th during his time there. If he were playing for one of the historical powerhouses who consistently finish near or at the top of the league, then I might agree

36 minutes ago, phresh said:

There is no basis for this statement, I don't think he's dropped down a level at all. His current club has more than double the value of his former team, not to mention they have done well in the league the last half-decade, often finishing upper mid-table and even qualifying for Europa a few years back. The Austrian Bundesliga has similar market value to the 2.Bundesliga and this, despite having six less teams. Now we can debate the validity of TM, but Regensburg was a low-level team in the second tier, never finished above 14th during his time there. If he were playing for one of the historical powerhouses who consistently finish near or at the top of the league, then I might agree

Maybe the level is on par. I'll admit I don't know enough outside of RB Salzburg who seem to be the only club that progresses players onto the next level for obvious reasons.

From my TM sleuthing, it seems that's it's very common for guys to make "lateral" moves between the Austrian 1. Bundesliga and the German 2. Bundesliga. The fact that one league has more teams show more strength in the pyramid/infrastructure/quality rather than "made up" values imo. Especially when you look at the UEFA club coefficient/rankings.

But hindsight is 20/20 and like @Obinnasaid, it could all be good if he makes his way into Conference league play....My main point is he's on a level that may be below where majority of our CB depth is at (MLS).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

Came off 27 minutes in I'm assuming it's an injury? Hope it's nothing serious.

There was in fact a double sub at the 27th minute. It appears to have been tactical.

The weird thing is that it happened right after Wolfsberger scored a goal.

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport-liveticker/fussball/oesterreich-bundesliga/ma9663677/wolfsberger-ac_lask/liveticker/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...