Scott Kennedy

I'm not sure this NYCFC link has any legs.  I've heard from a good source that Vancouver has his discovery rights and have tried to sign him.  I've also heard his agent has reached out to a few clubs in the MLS, possible he may not know how discovery rights work and that Vancouver asks a fortune to give them up haha.

Who is the LCB at the moment? Tristan Blackman playing on his off-foot? I think Kennedy competes and wins a spot in Vancouver. 

Close to Calgary too, quick stop home to see family and friends.

He strikes me as a guy who wants to stay in Europe though, which I support as a fan of his. I think the MLS talk is more about him exploring his options instead of wanting to leave Germany/Europe. 

WAC in 'good talks' with Canadian international

According to the "Krone", a Canadian team player with an Austria-Klagenfurt past is a candidate for the open defender position at Wolfsberger AC.

https://www.laola1.at/de/red/fussball/bundesliga/news/wac-in--guten-gespraechen--mit-kanadischem-nationalspieler/

https://www.krone.at/3046544?fbclid=IwAR0RmSnZM9GN3n5FoPL85yfbi_EzahHDnvSOoaGamHr8HbS2Y1jXt3XCtU4#/

Edited by canuckgbp

7 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

WAC in 'good talks' with Canadian international

According to the "Krone", a Canadian team player with an Austria-Klagenfurt past is a candidate for the open defender position at Wolfsberger AC.

https://www.laola1.at/de/red/fussball/bundesliga/news/wac-in--guten-gespraechen--mit-kanadischem-nationalspieler/

https://www.krone.at/3046544?fbclid=IwAR0RmSnZM9GN3n5FoPL85yfbi_EzahHDnvSOoaGamHr8HbS2Y1jXt3XCtU4#/

Interesting. Right about the level of club I would approve of in the Austrian Bundesliga. A quick wiki search shows they finished 9th last year, 3rd the year before, and 5th the year before that. Looks like Austria Bundesliga now has that new-look split season playoff you see in Belgium, where the top teams fight for the title and the bottom teams fight for relegation. Well, it looks like they won that relegation round and their prize is a Europa League conference play-off spot. Is this move better for Kennedy than MLS? Debatable, but that Conference League play-off would be a nice little carrot.

Thanks for the update @canuckgbp.

On 5/31/2023 at 2:25 PM, Obinna said:

I feel that anything outside the Top 5 in Austria is not aiming high enough

This is the kind of move that I think is solid but @Obinna may not. They were 9th out of 12 in the Austrian Bundesliga for the regular season but during the relegation round they finished at the top. So in the end they were 7th out of 12.

A team that could push for the top 6 and where he would have a much better chance of being a starter.

Edit: Now @Obinna may approve of anything outside the Top 5 haha :D

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 minute ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Thanks for the update @canuckgbp.

This is the kind of move that I think is solid but @Obinna may not. They were 9th out of 12 in the Austrian Bundesliga for the regular season but during the relegation round they finished at the top. So in the end they were 7th out of 12.

A team that could push for the top 6 and where he would have a much better chance of being a starter.

Ah yes our little debate from earlier :)

IIRC my position was that it would have to be a top team in Austria for me to approve. I think I mentioned teams like Rapid Vienna and LASK, but I don't think I mentioned Wolfsberger specifically. Just from what I see here though I would be satisfied with it. They may not be a top team like I would have hoped for, but they really do seem to have top 6 team potential at least, so close enough. They did finish 3rd and 5th in recent years, so that's a good track record actually. Most importantly it look he'd be a starter at that level, or close to it.

I just don't want him at a club that gets dragged down into relegation time and again. WAC getting pulled into the relegation round seems more of a one-off, and they got a Conference qualifier out of it, so not too shabby...

50 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Austria probably gives him a better chance to move to a bigger european league in the future. 

At 26…that time is now no?

If he moves to Austria, does he stop getting called up due to the league being inferior to where the rest of our CBs play?

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Feel like even MLS would be better than Austria?

Depends on the club would be my immediate thought. On checking the club it's not Red Bull Salzburg or one of the traditional powerhouses like Rapid or Austria Vienna but you could say much the same about Ross County, St Johnstone, FC Eindhoven, Chaves, Deinze or Korona Kielce on how the clubs of players called up for this Gold Cup stack up vis-a-vis MLS.

13 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Depends on the club would be my immediate thought. On checking the club it's not Red Bull Salzburg or one of the traditional powerhouses like Rapid or Austria Vienna but you could say much the same about Ross County, St Johnstone, FC Eindhoven, Chaves, Deinze or Korona Kielce on how the clubs of players called up for this Gold Cup stack up vis-a-vis MLS.

You absolutely could, but I’m a lot more excited about moves to those clubs if the player is still ~U23. Kennedy can still grow and move up to a better team down the line, but he’s close to his peak, and if that peak is bottom of the table Austrian Bundesliga, I’m not super moved IMO. 

Is MLS a better league than Austria? Probably yes. Is the quality of CBs in Austria at a lower level than in MLS? I have no idea but I wouldn't be surprised if not. MLS, with its DPs and salary structure, does not incentivize teams to spend on CBs and generally this is the weakest part of most teams. Playing that position in Austria might require Scott to more consistently reach a higher standard. Who knows?

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

This is where I was at in my debate with @Olympique_de_Marseille. Ultimately though I think WAC are strong enough club that I expect no impact on his NT calls. Now if he were to go to a team of a lower standard, I may have questions. Even still (and to your point) it's about the performances as well. At all of those teams you mentioned, like Chaves and Korona Kielce, we had players doing very, very well and that matters. 

2 hours ago, Shway said:

If he moves to Austria, does he stop getting called up due to the league being inferior to where the rest of our CBs play?

Given our CB depth, I doubt he stops getting called up. At 26 there is still time to grow for a CB. Vittoria has done ok in his mid 30s. Not out of the ordinary for a CB to make a move up even at age 30. 

Edited by king1010

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Members here are 💩ting a little on the quality of the Austrian Bundesliga.

I thought that it would be fairly equivalent if not superior to the German 2. Bundesliga.

🇦🇹 Bundesliga  ≥   🇩🇪 2. Bundesliga

True?

No... I'd say Salzburg is >, then maybe the next 2 teams are equal, and then below that is closer to 3. liga. 

5 hours ago, Shway said:

I don’t think he stops being called, but it certainly puts to bed any notion of winning the LCB starting spot in the near term.

4 hours ago, jonovision said:

Is MLS a better league than Austria? Probably yes. Is the quality of CBs in Austria at a lower level than in MLS? I have no idea but I wouldn't be surprised if not. MLS, with its DPs and salary structure, does not incentivize teams to spend on CBs and generally this is the weakest part of most teams. Playing that position in Austria might require Scott to more consistently reach a higher standard. Who knows?

I think the more pertinent question is whether Kennedy would be more battle tested by attackers in MLS or Austria. I would say MLS comfortably has the better attackers outside of RB Salzberg and maybe one or two other clubs.

14 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Members here are 💩ting a little on the quality of the Austrian Bundesliga.

I thought that it would be fairly equivalent if not superior to the German 2. Bundesliga.

🇦🇹 Bundesliga  ≥   🇩🇪 2. Bundesliga

True?

You're absolutely correct. Some of our friends are underestimating Austria while overestimating MLS.

It's amusing how some are nitpicking the club he's joining but just assume that any club in MLS would be superior... as if bottom club in that league would be that much better.

Screenshot_20230701-061831_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a53b4bfaa7088079227a6c05e7a9a210.jpg

Being a "parity league" doesn't make it superior overall. Kennedy would be a starter on most MLS squad while he'll have to fight and keep fighting to keep his spot in Austria where every game counts.

Good move for him I say and yes, he'll keep being called up and doing well in Austria makes it more likely that he can move up to a better league

Edited by Ansem
Removed the Europe competition part