Stephen Eustaquio

56 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Don't know anything about the injury aside from what I am reading here, but it sounds like he exited at halftime. If he was able to make it until the half maybe that's a good sign? Grasping at straws though, admittedly. 

You never know with these things, you can sometimes make it for a while on pure adrenaline before the pain sets in. Hopefully he recovers sooner than later. 

5 minutes ago, Cblake said:

You never know with these things, you can sometimes make it for a while on pure adrenaline before the pain sets in. Hopefully he recovers sooner than later. 

Yup for sure. In some cases that makes it even worse, so that might actually not be a good thing if he played through it.

We'll just have to see, I guess.

Based on the last round of games he'll likely be called even if he's out for CR. The Mexico game is still 3 weeks away.

Speaking from experience, I completely tore my rotator cuff playing hockey and of course couldn't play until after reconstructive surgery but soccer is different and the cortisone shots I received while waiting for surgery enabled me to do things like kayaking and snorkelling so there is hope he can get back on the pitch soon!

6 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

Portuguese paper A BOLA is reporting that Stephen has a shoulder injury, but it isn't considered too serious.

However, he will not play in the midweek cup game against Braga.

A minor injury that keeps him out of a couple of games wouldn't be the worst thing. His importance for both club and country means that he's not likely to get much, if any, other rest.

9 hours ago, king1010 said:

I know this has been said dozens of times, but I can't believe he didn't move to a bigger club over the summer. He is ready and capable for the move. 

I think he may be just one repeat free kick like the one vs. Costa Rica away from getting that move. All we need is a touch of spark to get him over the edge.

He has it hard on such a modest team in Portugal, you can't expect them to play over their heads always, so his club play may not be the source of a decent transfer.

Mind you, moving in a midfielder is not the most common thing to see in a winter window. Funny, because we've seen how all the journalists in Concacaf really respect him too, the Mexicans hold him in high esteem, in spite of not panning out in Mexico.

45 minutes ago, king1010 said:

I know this has been said dozens of times, but I can't believe he didn't move to a bigger club over the summer. He is ready and capable for the move. 

From reading lots of talk in the silly season, it was clear Pacos wanted real money for him (which is their right) and he was not rocking the boat too much.  Worth remembering last season was his first season playing more than 20 league games. 

I wanted a move as well but I am okay with him continuing to develop there for a bit, as long as they don't ride him into the ground. 

On 10/27/2021 at 7:59 AM, king1010 said:

Pacos paid 2.5 mil Euro.  That was their record signing.  Their entire wage bill for the year is just over 2 mil euro for their team and Eustaquio is 440k of that.  I think interested teams low balled Pacos understanding the teams limited finances.  They weren't going to accept 3 or 4 million dollar offers.  This is their chance to cash in.  The owner himself said he isn't going to give the player away for an insignificant amount.  If someone comes in at 7 or 8 he likely moves.  Where ever he goes, once he gets there they will realize what a ridiculous bargain he was at 7 or 8 million euro.  He's a really good player.

3 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

Pacos paid 2.5 mil Euro.  That was their record signing.  Their entire wage bill for the year is just over 2 mil euro for their team and Eustaquio is 440k of that.  I think interested teams low balled Pacos understanding the teams limited finances.  They weren't going to accept 3 or 4 million dollar offers.  This is their chance to cash in.  The owner himself said he isn't going to give the player away for an insignificant amount.  If someone comes in at 7 or 8 he likely moves.  Where ever he goes, once he gets there they will realize what a ridiculous bargain he was at 7 or 8 million euro.  He's a really good player.

So where is the best fit for him, is it going to a club we all know, that is on the tip of all our tongues? He certainly has shown his worth and what he can do, someone I think will step with an offer to pry him away, maybe once a team does a bidding war will happen as teams realize he is a player they do not want to miss out on. 

1 hour ago, Cblake said:

So where is the best fit for him, is it going to a club we all know, that is on the tip of all our tongues? He certainly has shown his worth and what he can do, someone I think will step with an offer to pry him away, maybe once a team does a bidding war will happen as teams realize he is a player they do not want to miss out on. 

I'm a baggies supporter, so I'd love to see him go there!  I'm not sure anyone else would feel that's a good club for him though...lol

The World Cup is only a year away. IF (big IF) Canada qualifies, club teams across Europe will dissect the roster and closely watch the games. Eustaquio's worth will become apparent then (as well as guys like Johnson, Lareya, etc), and I am sure offers will come rolling in. 

Basically what I'm saying is he probably stays at Pacos for a year tops :D

8 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

The World Cup is only a year away. IF (big IF) Canada qualifies, club teams across Europe will dissect the roster and closely watch the games. Eustaquio's worth will become apparent then (as well as guys like Johnson, Lareya, etc), and I am sure offers will come rolling in. 

Basically what I'm saying is he probably stays at Pacos for a year tops :D

Why a big IF?

9 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Why a big IF?

We still have a ton of work to do.  We may have gotten through the away games against the top two, but in the last two windows we have 4 away games at Honduras, El Salvador, Costa Rica and Panama - and we have never been strong on the road.  I know we have managed away draws so far but I expect us to stumble at some point.  And in our remaining 4 home games, we play the Big 2, as well as a very dangerous Jamaica.  There will be lots of dropped points along the way.  

Objectively, we have gained some points that were punching above our weight (away to Mexico and the US), but we have dropped pints than we should have grabbed (home to Honduras and away to Jamaica). 

This may be the scar tissue talking but I think we still have a lot of competition for (realistically) the 3rd place qualifying spot and despite the current table we will be in a dogfight for the rest of the campaign.   

14 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

We still have a ton of work to do.  We may have gotten through the away games against the top two, but in the last two windows we have 4 away games at Honduras, El Salvador, Costa Rica and Panama - and we have never been strong on the road.  I know we have managed away draws so far but I expect us to stumble at some point.  And in our remaining 4 home games, we play the Big 2, as well as a very dangerous Jamaica.  There will be lots of dropped points along the way.  

Objectively, we have gained some points that were punching above our weight (away to Mexico and the US), but we have dropped pints than we should have grabbed (home to Honduras and away to Jamaica). 

This may be the scar tissue talking but I think we still have a lot of competition for (realistically) the 3rd place qualifying spot and despite the current table we will be in a dogfight for the rest of the campaign.   

If the scar tissue was talking I think you would view the Jamaica match as a good result. Look, Jamaica just beat Honduras away right after they played us.

We got road draws against the 3 best opponents on paper. You have to like our chances of getting at least 1 road win in the next 4. 

We also get to play El Salvador and Panama away on matchday 3 of their respective windows so we can overpower them with depth *knocks on wood*.

Edited by CanadaFan123

21 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

You never know what you'll get here on any given day. One day you'll get people posting charts showing we got about 70% chance of going to Qatar and the next day we are a big IF away. I love it. For me personally it's a very small "if".😃

14 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

You never know what you'll get here on any given day. One day you'll get people posting charts showing we got about 70% chance of going to Qatar and the next day we are a big IF away. I love it. For me personally it's a very small "if".😃

I have never been in the over confident category.  Too much trauma over the years to assume anything at this point.  Lots of hurdles left.  

30 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

If the scar tissue was talking I think you would view the Jamaica match as a good result. Look, Jamaica just beat Honduras away right after they played us.

We got road draws against the 3 best opponents on paper. You have to like our chances of getting at least 1 road win in the next 4. 

We also get to play El Salvador and Panama away on matchday 3 of their respective windows so we can overpower them with depth *knocks on wood*.

I hope it turns out that my worrying was unnecessary.  Caution is a defence mechanisms for me.