Stephen Eustaquio

5 hours ago, cronaldo7 said:

His ability to manage the game with his tactical fouls and also drawing fouls in key positions cannot be understated. His footballing IQ has given our team another dimension that we’ve lacked in the past.

We’re not first in the group if he’s not with the team.

No other midfielders on our roster have anywhere near his influence on the game.

For my money, Stephen has been by far our best player over the first 8 matches.  And to think we were worried not too long ago about having someone who could boss the midfield. He and Atiba were great last night.

Also on my list of top performers over 8 matches: Vittoria, Johnston, Miller. And Borjan, of course.

Revelations, as of late: Sam and Liam.

To be fair, the entire squad has been very good, with some guys having truly stellar performances. But the consistent cats, so far, have been our defenders.  I mean, that's incredible when you consider how concerned we were about our backline. Yeah, we are  playing excellent team defense, but still...  

9 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Makes the right decision with the ball the vast majority of the time and it almost always keeps us ticking over.

And he  continues to develop his dead ball skills - that is priceless in the modern game.

I have no idea why Eustaquio isn’t taking our corners.  

I guess that isn’t true - he is probably hanging back in the middle to help break up counter attacks and possibly hit one from distance if it pops out in the middle and he has a good sight line on the goal.  But with his delivery I think he would be better knocking out corners into the right spaces.  I love Davies but his set pieces have only be “on” for a game or two - the rest have been pretty average.  Plus Davies is a bigger goal threat in the box.  It might be different if we played short corners - where Davies trickery and pace might help open things up from the side - but just to knock it into the box I am not sure why he is the guy.   Staq seems like a much smarter option.  

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I have no idea why Eustaquio isn’t taking our corners.  

I guess that isn’t true - he is probably hanging back in the middle to help break up counter attacks and possibly hit one from distance if it pops out in the middle and he has a good sight line on the goal.  But with his delivery I think he would be better knocking out corners into the right spaces.  I love Davies but his set pieces have only be “on” for a game or two - the rest have been pretty average.  Plus Davies is a bigger goal threat in the box.  It might be different if we played short corners - where Davies trickery and pace might help open things up from the side - but just to knock it into the box I am not sure why he is the guy.   Staq seems like a much smarter option.  

He takes half of our corners. Haven't you been watching? Herdman seems to prefer inswinging corner, so Davies took all(?) the corners from the right, while Eustaquio did the same from the left.

For all the moaning about our set pieces, has any team scored more set piece goals than us through 8 match days?

ETA: I have us on 3 non-PK set piece goals (David vs El Salvador, OG vs Panama, Larin #2 vs Mexico). 4 if you count David vs Costa Rica, which was on the second phase after a free kick routine.

Edited by jonovision

I always considered  Eustaquio at Pacos a smaller, better version of prime Michael Bradley but on his current play,  he's become a very rich man's version of prime Bradley. Bradley's motor was quite a bit ahead of his technique and vision but Eustaquio has all three in spades.

Edited by Snowcrash

34 minutes ago, narduch said:

Linked to Porto.

Keep in mind that account linked him a dozen times to Porto last time around. I don't see why they would need another cm - they're completely loaded. Oliviera, Uribe, Grujic, Costa... they made their choice. 

Remember they could've had Steph in the summer - Steph and Costa made Pacos one of the league's dominant midfields last season. They took Costa.

3 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Keep in mind that account linked him a dozen times to Porto last time around. I don't see why they would need another cm - they're completely loaded. Oliviera, Uribe, Grujic, Costa... they made their choice. 

Remember they could've had Steph in the summer - Steph and Costa made Pacos one of the league's dominant midfields last season. They took Costa.

Perhaps a larger club is poaching one of their current guys.

I’m Iranian-Canadian and Porto’s striker is an Iranian National Team striker so I’ve been watching a lot of Porto over the past 2 years so I guess I could offer some insight based on what I’ve seen

oliveira had a great season last year but he’s been pretty average this year and has even been on the bench for several of their matches this season. He was also very close to a transfer to Fiorentina this past summer so It’s likely Porto is preparing to move on from him soon

Uribe is a solid player, but also nothing special really, and is 30 now. I think Eustacio would take his spot if he were on the squad.

as for Costa, he’s been pretty poor and practically never even plays so he’s kind of a non-factor

Grujic is a very solid player who Porto officially signed from Liverpool after loaning him for a year. He’s 25 so he’s likely a key cog in their plans going forward

porto also has 2 younger CMs in Vieira (21) and Vitinha (21) who have been starting to get more play time. They’re pretty damn solid but I don’t think Porto is gonna be their future for very long

it seems Porto is preparing for a transition to a new midfield core with Grujic and I think Eustacio could fit in next to him since they typically play 4-4-2

Porto’s attacking style would be a good fit for Stephen too as they have arguably the best/most well rounded Striker (Taremi) in Liga Nos who I think Eustacio would rack up assists and develop nice chemistry with, although idk how much longer he’ll be at Porto either since he’s been linked with some moves but apparently Porto wants the 60 mil release clause for him so I doubt he’ll be going anywhere soon

Edited by 6ixthMan